2015 3* JUCO DT Jonathan Taylor (Alabama signee)

madmoney123

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I guess i'm late to the party on this one but I didn't realize that Taylor and James Deloach were a package deal. Also it looks like we have that home state love to overcome getting them away from home.

http://blogs.ajc.com/recruiting/2011/05/10/jenkins-county-dt-jonathan-taylor-and-de-james-deloach-like-uga-georgia-tech-alabama-and-auburn/

They both have around 15 early scholarship offers from mostly the same schools. They’ve never made it a secret that they wish to play on the same college team.

“We’re best friends,” Taylor told the AJC. “We’re going through the same recruiting process with the same schools. Just about everybody wants us as a package and says we can help out in a hurry on defense. We want to be teammates in college. We enjoy play football and hanging out with each other. And if we’re away at college and get homesick, we can help each other out.”

That leads us to our next question: Which college would they like to be packaged to? Taylor says he’s not ready to name any leaders but said, “Right now, I’m wide open. Georgia and Georgia Tech are some nice schools. They are closer to home and our friends and families can come to our games all the time. Alabama and Auburn are real nice, too.” Taylor said he will likely commit after his senior season.

Kid was awesome on Home Improvement...wonder why he decided to drop the Thomas from his last name. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...

Did Gus put the Jonathan Taylor recruitment to bed in his presser today? I don't have a link, but one of the twitter updates on the main forum said, in response to a question regarding recruiting a guy accused of domestic violence, "You don't go there."

http://www.ajc.com/news/sports/college/uga-defensive-lineman-jon-taylor-dismissed/ngmN8/

Granted I don't know the context of the question/answer, but it reads like a statement that we won't recruit a guy accused of domestic violence, like Jonathan Taylor.

Did Gus put the Jonathan Taylor recruitment to bed in his presser today? I don't have a link, but one of the twitter updates on the main forum said, in response to a question regarding recruiting a guy accused of domestic violence, "You don't go there."

http://www.ajc.com/n...ismissed/ngmN8/

Granted I don't know the context of the question/answer, but it reads like a statement that we won't recruit a guy accused of domestic violence, like Jonathan Taylor.

Dear God, I hope we're not actually recruiting that guy. That's a big, big problem if we are. It's a massive leap from bad checks and smoking pot to a 340-lb man choking and punching his girlfriend.

First I've heard of this. Very, very troubling if true.

It's as simple as this. Garner has known Taylor for a very long time. If we do recruit and take him then it will mean the stafwould feel strongly that Taylor is innocent of the domestic case.

He may get out of the legal trouble stemming from the incident, but he's definitely not innocent. Unlike the NFL, I don't need a video to figure that out...

Its possible that the recent NFL s***-storm made them reevaluate their position.

Super-insider austudent22 claimed that people from Taylor's area were convinced that Taylor was a done deal to Auburn and that the staff were planning on keeping it quiet until ~December. Whether or not that is still the case is yet to be determined, but I'm inclined to believe that we really did want to take him. It may be that Ray Rice kind of screwed this up for us (or 'saved' us, if you're taking the moral high ground stance).

It's as simple as this. Garner has known Taylor for a very long time. If we do recruit and take him then it will mean the stafwould feel strongly that Taylor is innocent of the domestic case.

He may get out of the legal trouble stemming from the incident, but he's definitely not innocent. Unlike the NFL, I don't need a video to figure that out...

Well there was real momentum for AU and Taylor behind the scenes before today but since Gus's presser that momenyum may have died.

Yeah, I know there's been mutual interest under the radar, but I was simply speaking about whether or not Taylor committed the offense he's been charged with. It's fairly obvious that he did. Gus said what he said at the presser. Guess we'll have to wait and see...

Its possible that the recent NFL s***-storm made them reevaluate their position.

Super-insider austudent22 claimed that people from Taylor's area were convinced that Taylor was a done deal to Auburn and that the staff were planning on keeping it quiet until ~December. Whether or not that is still the case is yet to be determined, but I'm inclined to believe that we really did want to take him. It may be that Ray Rice kind of screwed this up for us (or 'saved' us, if you're taking the moral high ground stance).

Not wanting Auburn to recruit guys who punch and choke girls- particularly if the dude in question is over 300 lbs- is hardly "taking the moral high ground".

McLoofus is right on that one. It's not really a holier-than-thou position. I actually think the reactions are swinging too far in the other direction. Getting charged with a crime does not make you guilty, even if it's a heinous crime. UT dismissing the Paulk kid seems like a gross overreaction. He didn't even get charged. She claimed in a police report that he hit her then didn't press charges or agree to take any protective action. Basically, she made a claim to the police then backed off it, and the DA took no action. He never got to tell his side of the story, and he still lost his scholarship. That feels wrong.

In this case, however, Taylor was charged, and no one is backing off their claims. He says he's confident that the situation will be resolved, but that can mean a LOT of things. It could mean he gets pre-trial diversion as a first-violent offender. That doesn't mean he's innocent. It just means our justice system has better things to do than incarcerate minor violent criminals.

Personally, I don't think it's worth the headache. I hope Gus accurately represented our policy. You don't have to boot guys that are accused of crimes, but you don't need to recruit lightening rods, either.

NO...... and Gus said the same.

Agree also...sometimes you have to deal with behavior problems after a kid has signed...but no sense going out looking for trouble.

NO...... and Gus said the same.

Agree also...sometimes you have to deal with behavior problems after a kid has signed...but no sense going out looking for trouble.

I agree. This is something you don't mess around with.

Archived