"Youth is No Excuse"

AUBSC76

With half of the defense never been on a college field, it is not hard to understand the number of issues they have had over the last two games. The other half of the issue is the back ups we are playing three deep on critical to get them experience in games. While it is easier to put a freshmen on the OL and teach them to block down field and how to trap defensive stunts, it is a little harder to teach young defenders to get past double and triple team and pick up the plays unfolding. It gets old hearing how this team or that team plays more underclassmen and are doing better. The lack of experience with the starters and little or no experience with the number 2's and 3's have killed us early. Look for that to improve as the season continues.

I totally agree, but I'd add a qualification.  Another year in the weight room would make a huge difference, especially for the true freshmen at DT.  The speed of the game thing is for real, but so is good old fashioned explosive strength.

for every possible problem you face building a football team there is an answer. while I agree that youth & inexperience is a primary issue I also feel enough wasnt done to address this issue. everyone seems to be ignoring the obvious solution of recruiting a couple JUCO guys to patch some holes. as great a job as this staff does recruiting this may be their only weak spot. as I pointed out in the other thread on this same topic, its not like it wasnt obvious before the season started how young our defense was. so with that thought in mind, yes I do see it as an excuse. but as I also said in the other thread by the end of the season this will be a moot point. we have some real studs out there and they are growing up fast. no point in fighting about it now as its a done deal. the future looks bright, i'm sure we can all agree on that! :we:

I never get this talk of mods threatening to kick people off.  I debate Mods, argue with some, criticize the coaching/playcalling when I see fit, and have chastised Mods who were in posting wars with other members.  And I joke on Bird and DJ freely.  I have yet to be threatened. 

:dunno:

Most folks on this board get fighting mad if someone expresses the opinion that parts of our "D" is poorly coached.

Mods threaten to kick folks off, then someone comes on here and starts a thread such as this, knowing it is

going to stir emotions. I am one person who feels there are better coaching options out there, LB/DC, and

AU should never settle for less than the best. I know we are young,but so is the "O". As a matter of fact our

LB"s have more letters than any unit on the team! Our LB recruiting is also suffering for it. These top recruits

are looking the best way to the NFL, and they are standing in line at bama waiting for their turn to play. We

are signing DE's,RB's and safeties trying to turn them into LB's. I feel plum sorry for L Owens for putting his trust

in Roof. How many years is it supposed to take to develope a LB???

Bigbird was very nice to you in his response.  :dunno:  Our starting LBs, Bates, Evans and Holland, have a total of 17 starts among the three of them.  6 of those starts are this season.  Prior to this season Bates had 9 starts at LB and Evans had 2.  LB is also the hardest position on D to learn all the responsibilities.  Our LBs will be just fine with a little time to learn the position as our coaches want it played.  Have patience.  Is winning 17 in a row and still counting not good enough for you?

When addressing the defensive issues, you can go out and find some juco players that may be an one and out player. The way the coaching staff has addressed the problem is to fix the program long turn with quality players. This will be last year that the defense has the problem with inexperienced players because what would be mostly practice squad players are getting game experience. We knew going into this season that we were low on depth and experience but high on talent.

When each complaining, critiquing, analyzing, pontificating, Debbie-Downing, whatever-you-want-to-call-it-that-goes-beyond-honest-questioning (that really WANTS an answer) Auburn fan walks in the shoes of just ONE Auburn Tiger (and just ONE Auburn coach), then and only then is an ear deserved.  Until then, we are simply the backseat drivers that drive ourselves crazy. 

Last year was an absolute miracle, complete gift.  Last year defied expectations, but somehow we've grown our own that don't even measure up to reality.  Ever heard of the word "recalibration"?  Same thing I am doing w/this group of children as compared to mine last year.  And it's hard.  And it hurts.  And you second-guess everything about the process that has worked before, knowing in the back of your mind that each of us is an individual that must be both grown as a single unit but also in relation to a group of others depending upon you.

But somehow Coach Chizik and company are busy doing just that, "recalibrating", playing to an Audience of One all the while surrounded by an audience of infinity.  And they STILL earned TWO VICTORIES...the first one against a team that none of us really knew very much about.  I am still stunned by the victories, and I am elated for Gene Chizik and the Auburn Family.

Sometimes I fear for the "addicted to winning" mentality that accompanies success.  Maybe we become like our greatest rivals, living too vicariously through kids barely out of high school.  Sure, we want them to do their best, but how many of us have this many armchair spectators or stadium cynics sitting over our best attempts to do our best?  (And how many of us have so many with lesser personal capability trying to weigh in and call the shots?  Just sayin'...)

I couldn't be more excited about watching the 2011 team grow in sync.  I couldn't imagine one tenth of the behind-the-scenes challenges they deal with in a way that defies comprehension that we know nothing about.  I couldn't imagine the lack of humility needed to think it's one's right to criticize those who, while navigating tough college coursework as they have one eye on their futures entertain us, as well as those who give their all to train them.  Are we thinking they owe us something more than their all, which they are giving?  I agree w/the poster who stated that they are their own toughest critics.  Dare we think we are needed in that role? 

I ache for the parts of each of us that will never be satisfied without Divine intervention OR a good-old-attitude adjustment.  I would bet, were I the betting kind, that those who have a realistic-yet-encouraging perspective have, before each game or even prior, done their jobs to be ready as fans worthy of National Championship status.  And the rest goes without saying.

Message boards are one thing.  AUBURNEAGLE is another.  "Experience the Difference."  Thanks, Mods, for all you do to make it that way!

P.S.  I am sorry that my mini-rant addressed the few little squeaky wheels out there.  This thread is overall so uplifting that it makes me proud to be ALL IN!  Great sense, great expression. Thanks, ya'll!

I have been as critical as anyone and never once been threatened. I may be called a fake fan or some other such nonsense by other members but the mods generally carry themselves at a high class level. They have to be more strict here because it's free and everybody can get on here. They have to work at being watch dogs and I for one am honestly thankful they do such a great job. Believe me, I question everybody and everything but never once been threatened with a ban. They may or may not like me, but they don't threaten to kick me out and that's good enough for me.

I never get this talk of mods threatening to kick people off.  I debate Mods, argue with some, criticize the coaching/playcalling when I see fit, and have chastised Mods who were in posting wars with other members.  And I joke on Bird and DJ freely.  I have yet to be threatened. 

:dunno:

well if you don't cut it out...I'LL BAN YOU! :tease:

Bigbird was very nice to you in his response.   :dunno:  Our starting LBs, Bates, Evans and Holland, have a total of 17 starts among the three of them.  6 of those starts are this season.  Prior to this season Bates had 9 starts at LB and Evans had 2.  LB is also the hardest position on D to learn all the responsibilities.  Our LBs will be just fine with a little time to learn the position as our coaches want it played.   Have patience.  Is winning 17 in a row and still counting not good enough for you?

I started drinking early. ;D

Bigbird was very nice to you in his response.   :dunno:  Our starting LBs, Bates, Evans and Holland, have a total of 17 starts among the three of them.  6 of those starts are this season.  Prior to this season Bates had 9 starts at LB and Evans had 2.  LB is also the hardest position on D to learn all the responsibilities.  Our LBs will be just fine with a little time to learn the position as our coaches want it played.   Have patience.  Is winning 17 in a row and still counting not good enough for you?

Shockingly, I even had your back Bird  :o

Shockingly, I even had your back Bird  :o

wait a sec! why should that be shocking?  ;)

Excellent Post OP!

While I personally have the goal to win each game as they come, which over the course of the season does = championship, I do go into the season with realistic expectations. 6-7 wins with a bowl win would be a very good season to me. Not only are we very green, we have a brutal schedule on top of it all. I won't get upset at the players or coaches this year. I DO EXPECT them to get 100% and it shows that they have done that. That's my expectation. My goal is to win each game. If we lose and gave 100% I'm ok with that. I don't feel like I'm "settling" or "not wanting to be the best." Sometimes you have to realize what you are. We are not just young, we are green.

When addressing the defensive issues, you can go out and find some juco players that may be an one and out player. The way the coaching staff has addressed the problem is to fix the program long turn with quality players. This will be last year that the defense has the problem with inexperienced players because what would be mostly practice squad players are getting game experience. We knew going into this season that we were low on depth and experience but high on talent.

I will add a little more to this ... I have seen some JUCO talk sprinkled throughout AE as a reason our coaches did not do the right thing by us fans.  I have never been a fan of the JUCO route.  For every Nick Fairley that gets thrown out there (he did not blossom till his second year BTW) there are wayyyyyyyyyyyyyy more Raven Grays and Greg Smiths (who were to be DL saviors)  I would rather have high school players blossom in their second years, plus 2 more, than JUCOs blossom in their second years and be gone.  ALSO, I would argue there are just as many true freshmen revelations such as Mike Dyer (and I would even argue Jeff Whitaker) as there are immediate JUCO impacts.

A good thread and ToraGirl did an outstanding job framing the discussion.

It distills down to this for me.  I  love my school and do not have  unrealistic  expectations to win every one.  I do expect that  to be the fundamental goal and I'll live with the outcome just fine.

All of us in our job have goals and challenges to be accomplished with what we have at hand to complete the work .  Now remember the " what we have at hand " part of this.  Our coaches have to recruit train and prepare the players to work

within the schemes of the situation as well as the offense or defense.  If you have a weaker link you have to scheme as

to how it can work adequately, i.e. not be exploited.  The coaches have the added problem of an opposing staff just as pro-

fessional who is actively attempting to break you down to win.  I expect everyone to do their job and for AU to win as often

as they can and the key here for me is, in a manner that exhibits growth, maturity and class.

This is where my criticism of the coaching staff comes to a point.  Our offense has improved and taken the players at hand and taught them how to work within a complex system and one for which most of them were not recruited and did pretty well for two years.  My expectations were exceded by them the first year and beyond comprehension the second.  The defense has  shown  growth  but still makes some of the same fundamental errors in tackling that they have the past two  years.  And I do not understand why that basic skill is still a problem.

Archived