Auburn's 2013 Record

auburn4ever

Really hard to say since we don't fully know how the team is responding to the coaching change. I fully believe that if the team completely buys into Malzhan's system and works their ass off for him, 9-10 wins is a possibility. The team has a ton of unrefined potential that simply needs a lot of time and effort, but lucky for us Gus never wastes a second and always gives 110% effort, if the same hardworking mindset infects the team over the offseason and builds throughout the season, we'll have a great turn around.

Saying that, I don't believe every player will want to put forth the time and effort because of the previous system in place and the team will suffer from it depending on how many and who exactly doesn't buy in. So I expect an 8 win season and a bowl victory.

Well anyone that doesn't buy into what Gus is doing won't be around long. I see a very tough spring to weed out the ones that aren't willing to go forward. kinda like when Pat Dye first arrived.

I really hope you are right.

wde

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm gonna be the one to say it but til I see improvement on defense and at QB, I'm going 5-7 or 4-8.

:fail:

Can you name that many team on this sched beating us?

Arky and Tenn was downright despicable and will have alot of changes on O (for Arky case, I dont see most positive)

MSU shouldn't have beat us last year even at the end we had 3 or so chances to come back but blame it on the Kiehl

4 noobs.

Its nearly impossible to see anything less than 6, don't forget this is Gus Malzahn

Wow ... isn't this merely speculation, opinion, or just wishful thinking going on?

Relax - it's OK - Nothing wrong with someone speculating a losing season. It might of even have been good thing for a

couple of folks (no longer here)... If they had considered even the remote possibility of such, at this time last year.

For the people that are saying that bama and LSU and A&M are sure losses, you really need to keep that negative garbage to yourselves. On paper, Auburn should have been blown out by bama in 2009. We all know what happened then. There is a reason saban and many other coaches don't like Gus's HUNH offense. It's not because they just don't think it's pretty. They have great trouble stopping it. Be positive, what will you have lost by charging the atmosphere with positive thinking? Answer: nothing.

Wash St W

Arky St W

Miss St W

@ LSU L

OM W

WCarl W

@ aTm L

Fla Atl W

@Arky W

@ Tenn W

UGA L

UA L

8-4 will be respectable and a good turn around from last year.

I would take 8-4. I can see a little better with luck and a smooth transition to the philosophy changes on both side of the ball. If we struggle at the beginning with these changes,maybe a little worsethan 8-4. But what I REALLY want to see is a team that is much better at the end of the year. Like Dyes' good teams were. Even Tubs' teams,assuming very few injuries and attrition, got better from game to game, (with the one or two unbelievable blowout defeats per year in TTs' case). If our team is better at the end of the year than when they started,I will be excited at the direction of AU football for the next few years.

Wash St W

Arky St W

Miss St W

@ LSU L

OM W

WCarl W

@ aTm L

Fla Atl W

@Arky W

@ Tenn W

UGA L

UA L

I would take 8-4. I can see a little better with luck and a smooth transition to the philosophy changes on both side of the ball. If we struggle at the beginning with these changes,maybe a little worsethan 8-4. But what I REALLY want to see is a team that is much better at the end of the year. Like Dyes' good teams were. Even Tubs' teams,assuming very few injuries and attrition, got better from game to game, (with the one or two unbelievable blowout defeats per year in TTs' case). If our team is better at the end of the year than when they started,I will be excited at the direction of AU football for the next few years.

This. It was excruciating to watch our team follow a bad game with an even worse performance.

Wash St W

Arky St W

Miss St W

@ LSU L

OM W

WCarl W

@ aTm L

Fla Atl W

@Arky W

@ Tenn W

UGA L

UA L

This is pretty much my prediction of the season also. Maybe we win one we shouldn't from this list or lose one should of won. 7-5 to 9-3. The only result I will not be happy with is that we do not win enough to become bowl eligible or it looks like we quit like we did last year. Those missed practices mean a lot.

For the people that are saying that bama and LSU and A&M are sure losses, you really need to keep that negative garbage to yourselves. On paper, Auburn should have been blown out by bama in 2009. We all know what happened then. There is a reason saban and many other coaches don't like Gus's HUNH offense. It's not because they just don't think it's pretty. They have great trouble stopping it. Be positive, what will you have lost by charging the atmosphere with positive thinking? Answer: nothing.

This gives me hope about other games on the schedule that would normally be a sure L for us. With athletic guys, this offensive scheme and a solid defense, we could be competative in any game. Not saying we are going to go 12-0, just saying hope in CGM and this offensive scheme could keep us in some of those games.

We don't have an easy schedule next year. Even the teams that didn't have good records last season will be tough games to win on the road (Arky, Tenn) Miss St. and even Ole Miss with their recent momentum wont be a pushover either. (You have to remember we weren't exactly a great team ourselves last season)

I do definitely see some good improvement being made next season even if our record doesn't turn out spectacular.

On the low end of things I think 5-7 is bare minimum for us, and that's if we have some bad injuries and just have some terrible luck in close games.

I think 6-6 and 7-5 is the much more likely outcome, and I personally think 7-5 is where we'll end up.

If everything goes great then 8-4 would certainly be possible, and I think that would be an amazing record for our team considering where they're coming from.

My prediction:

We win 9 games

We beat 1 of Georgia or bama

Mason runs for 1200

Our biggest strength next year will be the o line

The play an easy schedule Cal,Buff,Fla A&M,SD State and Big 10 which always sucks

Ohio State = Notre Dame = Over rated

I'm gonna be the one to say it but til I see improvement on defense and at QB, I'm going 5-7 or 4-8.

:fail:

Can you name that many team on this sched beating us?

Arky and Tenn was downright despicable and will have alot of changes on O (for Arky case, I dont see most positive)

MSU shouldn't have beat us last year even at the end we had 3 or so chances to come back but blame it on the Kiehl

4 noobs.

Its nearly impossible to see anything less than 6, don't forget this is Gus Malzahn

Alright, I'm as big an Auburn fan as anybody, but this is a Kool-Aid post. Arky and Tenn were despicable and will have a lot of changes? WE were despicable and will have a TON of changes. I'm optimistic, but we have a long way to go. And did you watch the Moo State game last year? They should have beaten us 52-3. It was some of the worst AU football I've ever seen. A couple bad turnovers for them and an O-Mac blaze were the only things that kept the game close.

I think Malzahn will find his man at the QB position and the offense will be solid. If anything at all 'clicks' with the players and CEJ's scheme, then AU can go 9-3, best case scenario. This is a rebuilding year. I think we will go 8-4 and win a bowl game.

War Eagle!

People can look at the negative in any game and say we should have lost. You can also choose not to be pesimistic and look at the positive. Other than the Tex A&M and Bama games, with a terrible team, we were in most games until the end. People are acting like GOING BACK TO Gus' offense is a HUGE change. Its not. Its correcting a terrible mistake that shouldnt have happened.

If we didnt turn the ball over a bunch and have attrocious play calling and execution in the 4th, we would have beat Moo state, Ole Miss, Vandy, and LSU. I think we got out played some at the Clemson game and thats why i dont put them on the list.

Ark is changing a complete philosophy and coach, Tenn the same. Its not an Apples to Apples comparison. These teams didnt even take close to our best shot and we almost took em.

IMHO - Hopefully there's less of a starting to begin the rebuild this spring than normal, because last fall was such an early wake up call for this upcoming season. We had an offensive that was way too sure of itself last Spring, and a defense which thought they were actually coming along pretty good against them. No one realized that the other was no-count, and therefore both were considerably less than anything special. In reality if that O was just beginning to gel, they should have been moving the ball on every series. And if the D was any count at all, they would have been stopping everything cold. There existed a perception problem early on (again IMHO) which couldn't be retooled in the fall, and that was a major flaw of that coaching staff. I don't see this staff letting such erroneous assumptions happen, because they've all been there enough to know when their s--t stinks... at least before it's found lying on the game field. And hopefully even the most thick headed of player got to see this - well before - heading into spring practice, instead of beginning to learn this weeks too late.

IMHO - Hopefully there's less of a starting to begin the rebuild this spring than normal, because last fall was such an early wake up call for this upcoming season. We had an offensive that was way too sure of itself last Spring, and a defense which thought they were actually coming along pretty good against them. No one realized that the other was no-count, and therefore both were considerably less than anything special. In reality if that O was just beginning to gel, they should have been moving the ball on every series. And if the D was any count at all, they would have been stopping everything cold. There existed a perception problem early on (again IMHO) which couldn't be retooled in the fall, and that was a major flaw of that coaching staff. I don't see this staff letting such erroneous assumptions happen, because they've all been there enough to know when their s--t stinks... at least before it's found lying on the game field. And hopefully even the most thick headed of player got to see this - well before - heading into spring practice, instead of beginning to learn this weeks too late.

Very interesting perspective.

People can look at the negative in any game and say we should have lost. You can also choose not to be pesimistic and look at the positive. Other than the Tex A&M and Bama games, with a terrible team, we were in most games until the end. People are acting like GOING BACK TO Gus' offense is a HUGE change. Its not. Its correcting a terrible mistake that shouldnt have happened.

If we didnt turn the ball over a bunch and have attrocious play calling and execution in the 4th, we would have beat Moo state, Ole Miss, Vandy, and LSU. I think we got out played some at the Clemson game and thats why i dont put them on the list.

Ark is changing a complete philosophy and coach, Tenn the same. Its not an Apples to Apples comparison. These teams didnt even take close to our best shot and we almost took em.

Well, UGa could've named their score but Richt mercifully pulled his foot off the pedal after he ran he score to 49 - NOTHING. We were "in" that game til the kick off anyway!

Well, UGa could've named their score but Richt mercifully pulled his foot off the pedal after he ran he score to 49 - NOTHING. We were "in" that game til the kick off anyway!

I'm not even sure we were in it EVER! If I had to guess, with a very few exceptions, they were beat beforw they even put their pads on. :(

I am really interested to see how this season come out. AU has an odd situation from most other teams starting over. Gus obviously recruited most of the guys on this team (or was at least there) and knows what he has. I seriously doubt every 4* and 5* recruit on this team is a bust. It was noted above that other than atm, uat, uga - were at least in the rest of the games until crunch time. To me - Gus excelled during crunch time. If coaching was the problem - namely no coach was on the same page as the next - and caused our train wreck, then hopefully gus has his coaches together and can help us to rebound quicker than teams like TN or Ark (plus I beleive we have superior talent). The JUCO guys he brought in will go a long way towards helping Gus and Co out as well.

I do not think we should expect less than 8 wins.

What do we have going for us this year?

1 - The recruiting over the past few years has been very good - the new staff is charged with tapping the talent.

2 - The new staff seems to be built around 3 main principals - teachers of technique, toughness and recruiting. Combining numbers 1 and 2 means there will most certainly be improvement

3 - 50 starts or something like that come back to the O line. Those 50 starts are from mostly very talented guys.

4 - Bama and Georgia in JHS. You have to think we'll take at least one of those.

5 - Gus Malzahn - to this point, everything he has done has been golden. All the right moves, hires, appearances, etc. I think he is a highly intelligent guy. We have the athletes on campus, we have the staff, we'll see huge improvement this year.

6 - last one - while we are rebuilding, we are not starting from scratch. At least, not on offense. I think the O sort of picks up where it left off 15 months ago. On D we can't get much worse, so we have to get better.

Wash St W

Arky St W

Miss St W

@ LSU L

OM W

WCarl W

@ aTm L

Fla Atl W

@Arky W

@ Tenn W

UGA L

UA L

This is pretty much my prediction of the season also. Maybe we win one we shouldn't from this list or lose one should of won. 7-5 to 9-3. The only result I will not be happy with is that we do not win enough to become bowl eligible or it looks like we quit like we did last year. Those missed practices mean a lot.

Most people don't realize that the most important thing about making a bowl game is the extra practice time. It means the team almost gets an additional spring practice (10-20 extra days, depending on the bowl).

There is good reason to believe that our main areas of concern last season will be vastly improved with the exception of QB and IMO both Frazier and Wallace are more gifted than Chris Todd so I think Gus and Rhett should be able to get us a decent stand in at the least and I have a feeling that Nick Marshall could be this year's Newton, Russell, Griffin, Manziel (the out of nowhere star). I expect our offense to be better than 2009 (Due to talent differences) and our D to be better than any year under Chizik, but probably not dominate. If we have a D that can just tackle and an average Gus O we will win more games than we lose. I agree that this is a rebuilding year for most of the good defenses in the west and that will be a major advantage for Gus and Co.

About our tackling woes: I recently watched the Auburn vs WVU game from 2009 and the commentators at one point talk about speaking to CTR about “a new tackling method” where instead of “breaking down” and getting ready to tackle as the defensive player approaches his target they were teaching players to “run through” the tackle and basically take a shot at a home run hit rather than “classic tackling" or wrapping up. I can see trying that as a high risk./high reward strategy with Gus’s Offense but after 09 they should have seen that it wasn’t working and tried to teach the more traditional approach. The commentators were talking about missed tackles and that was the third game of 2009! Another option is that it IS a good tackling method but our players were not strong enough to hold on to the big SEC receivers and running backs, resulting in broken tackles. Whatever the reason I think CEJ has the ability to fix the problem.

The more I look at it the more it seems that 8 - 4 looks pretty dadgum optimistic. The 4 losses...LSU, A&M, UGa and bama all look like reasonable expectations but what could ruin the season is slipping up to teams we should've beaten. With Ole Miss, Tennessee and Arkansas pencilled in among our Ws..given Ole Miss's projected team next year and our rivalries with Ark and Tenn, personally, I wont be shocked with a 6 - 6 season. Naturally, Im hoping for much more but after last season I now reside in Missouri on Auburn football...no more O&B kool-aid for me.

Archived