2015 5* DT Daron Payne (Alabama signee)

ellitor

Auburn's depth chart doesn't look horrible next year, it's just that we know Garner likes to play a deep rotation and a bunch of guys leave after this year. Here is next years depth as things currently stand:

MA - will be a beast

Elijah Daniels - He could be a DE or pressed full time into DT service, and I expect him to be very good

Russel - Redshirt this year, but coaches had a lot good to say about him... we'll see

D Lawrence - He was brought in to be a contributor in 2015. Have no idea how good he will be

D Lambert- Juco stud who could play inside or out, but expect him to move inside more

Andrew Williams - If he beefs up he could be a tweener, similar to Daniels

Jauntavius Johnson - can the true freshman contribute?

That's potentially 6/7 talented guys for two positions. The only problem is I don't think many of them are meaty run stoppers. Seems a mammoth like Payne could be guaranteed a role if he showed up and practiced hard, plus that would allow the coach to push a couple of the guys listed above back outside where our DE position is also a little thin.

I think my point is we have a respectable 2-deep across the line, but we've come to expect much more under this staff.

• Replies 662
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Auburn's depth chart doesn't look horrible next year, it's just that we know Garner likes to play a deep rotation and a bunch of guys leave after this year. Here is next years depth as things currently stand:

MA - will be a beast

Elijah Daniels - He could be a DE or pressed full time into DT service, and I expect him to be very good

Russel - Redshirt this year, but coaches had a lot good to say about him... we'll see

D Lawrence - He was brought in to be a contributor in 2015. Have no idea how good he will be

D Lambert- Juco stud who could play inside or out, but expect him to move inside more

Andrew Williams - If he beefs up he could be a tweener, similar to Daniels

Jauntavius Johnson - can the true freshman contribute?

That's potentially 6/7 talented guys for two positions. The only problem is I don't think many of them are meaty run stoppers. Seems a mammoth like Payne could be guaranteed a role if he showed up and practiced hard, plus that would allow the coach to push a couple of the guys listed above back outside where our DE position is also a little thin.

I think my point is we have a respectable 2-deep across the line, but we've come to expect much more under this staff.

Good post. May want to add Carl Lawson to your list. I think he will be pretty good.

I'm assuming he was listing only guys that could play DT. If not, the list would include Lawson, President, Kennion, Thornton, and Harrell.

If this kid is legitimately looking at depth charts and he grew up an Auburn fan then this should be over already. Picking Alabama after those comments would be a farce

Not when you count his best relationship is with Cristobal. Kids many times pick the school they have the best relationship with the recruiting coach despite what other factors they say are important.

Then PCBAuburnaFan is onto the fact that Payne is not really looking at depth charts, correct?

He may be but likely not to the extent that is conveyed in Payn'e's interviews.

I'm assuming he was listing only guys that could play DT. If not, the list would include Lawson, President, Kennion, Thornton, and Harrell.

You are correct. I should have been more clear. The DE position should be OK considering Daniels and Williams can both move outside if needed. I thought President was a lost cause, but Ellis has started playing him during meaningful game time, so there might be hope for him. Have no idea about Harrell (I assume injuries have kept him off the field).

You are correct. I should have been more clear. The DE position should be OK considering Daniels and Williams can both move outside if needed. I thought President was a lost cause, but Ellis has started playing him during meaningful game time, so there might be hope for him. Have no idea about Harrell (I assume injuries have kept him off the field).

Highly doubt A.Williams moves inside. He's an edge rusher through and through.

I doubt Lambert moves in either. He looks leaner than I expected. He's a DE. Daniel could go back to DT (where he played the majority of his snaps last year). He's got the frame for it, but I assume his position will be dictated by need.

Lambert, Lawson, Daniel, Williams, President, Harrell, Kennion, and Thornton plus any new DE signees... that's plenty of depth on the edge.

The latest on Andrew is he will likely be a DT or strongside DE. Not as much of an edge rusher is some think. He came in at 255 lbs and is growing.

The latest on Andrew is he will likely be a DT or strongside DE. Not as much of an edge rusher is some think. He came in at 255 lbs and is growing.

I find that to be an encouraging thing to consider. I like Williams as a strong side DE.

Lambert, Lawson, Daniel, Williams, President, Harrell, Kennion, and Thornton plus any new DE signees... that's plenty of depth on the edge.

Of those guys only Lawson is a (somewhat) proven pass rusher off the edge, and he might be gone as early as next season if he has a big year. Kennion and Thornton look promising in that department, but neither has stepped foot on the field yet. Neither Lambert nor Daniel look like explosive edge rushers, and with Williams' weight gain and all the talk about him possibly playing DT, he looks like a "SDE" type as well. Harrell and President look like just "guys" on the roster as opposed to players who you can realistically project as impact players.

We have "depth" at end, but most of those guys look like run stuffing strong-side types as opposed to 10+ sack edge rushers. Like I said, Kennion and/or Thornton could possibly fill that role, but until they actually do something on the field I'm going to continue to look at it as an area in which we need to sign at least one TRUE speed/explosion PASS rusher in this class. D'Andre Walker looked like a perfect fit (and a guy who gives off eerily similar vibes to Dee Ford), but for whatever reason we are stagnating hard in his recruitment.

Of those guys only Lawson is a (somewhat) proven pass rusher off the edge, and he might be gone as early as next season if he has a big year. Kennion and Thornton look promising in that department, but neither has stepped foot on the field yet. Neither Lambert nor Daniel look like explosive edge rushers, and with Williams' weight gain and all the talk about him possibly playing DT, he looks like a "SDE" type as well. Harrell and President look like just "guys" on the roster as opposed to players who you can realistically project as impact players.

We have "depth" at end, but most of those guys look like run stuffing strong-side types as opposed to 10+ sack edge rushers. Like I said, Kennion and/or Thornton could possibly fill that role, but until they actually do something on the field I'm going to continue to look at it as an area in which we need to sign at least one TRUE speed/explosion PASS rusher in this class. D'Andre Walker looked like a perfect fit (and a guy who gives off eerily similar vibes to Dee Ford), but for whatever reason we are stagnating hard in his recruitment.

Thats a pretty dang good summary of our DE situation

I stand corrected. I thought Williams was Lawson 2.0

Thats a pretty dang good summary of our DE situation

Agreed. We desperately need some speed off the edge.

I stand corrected. I thought Williams was Lawson 2.0

Nope. He was more of an all around DE out of High School. He did not have the monter pass rushing stats Carl did.

The point of this entire discussion is that if Payne is looking at our depth chart he might have some concerns. Adams, Daniels, Russel, Williams is a star studded 2-deep at DT. That's without considering Lambert and Lawrence. It's not as wide open as some here are making it out to be.

The point of this entire discussion is that if Payne is looking at our depth chart he might have some concerns. Adams, Daniels, Russel, Williams is a star studded 2-deep at DT. That's without considering Lambert and Lawrence. It's not as wide open as some here are making it out to be.

Lambert and Lawrence will be seniors and Adams may leave for the draft after 2015 season. The depth chart should be wide open for Daron.

It does absolutely no good to even discuss depth charts if we are competing with Saban. He will totally convince these recruits that the cupboard is bare at bama & they will come in and play IMMEDIATELY. And they all believe him which is the disturbing thing.

With all due respect no he wouldn't. He knows we are graduating 3 DTs and I doubt he has enough intimate knowledge on AU to know Daniels and Williams may move heavily to DT. He flat out said AU has the most potential PT in a recent interview.

Lambert and Lawrence will be seniors and Adams may leave for the draft after 2015 season. The depth chart should be wide open for Daron.

Lawrence has three years including this one.

Lawrence has three years including this one.

ouch, you are right. I was thinking he was already a junior

With all due respect no he wouldn't. He knows we are graduating 3 DTs and I doubt he has enough intimate knowledge on AU to know Daniels and Williams may move heavily to DT. He flat out said AU has the most potential PT in a recent interview.

Does Bradley not graduate after this year?

Does Bradley not graduate after this year?

He does. I forgot Whit. There are 4. The graduating scholarship DTs are him, Blackson, Whit, and Gabe. Even though Gabe is at DE this year a lot most of his career was at DT.

Archived