And with that, Ohio St has 0 ranked teams on their schedule

BamaGrad03

Oregon is the BEST team in college football. No debate.

Until Oregon shows me they can do their thing against a big boy team, I'm not sold. They were scoring like a pinball machine in 2010 too, then one of the most mediocre defenses in Auburn history and easily the weakest one of the SEC's 7-year title run held them to 19 points and spent all night camped out in their backfield.

And no, Tennessee this year is not a big boy team.

There's plenty of debate.

TT you are right about our D in '10, but that D stepped up and played lights out that day.

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oregon is the BEST team in college football. No debate.

You may be right on the first statement. You are dead wrong on the second.

Did you forget where you are? You could say the sky is blue on here and find someone to debate the point.

I just don't understand why blowing out awful or average teams always impresses people.

Don't get me wrong. I think Oregon is a fantastic program. An elite team. But last year they didn't play a team finishing in the top 25 until mid novemeber. And they lost to them. And because of the Rose Bowl conference tie in, they always play average Big Televen teams in the bowl game.

They played LSU, beat down. They played Auburn, couldn't score. Played Stanford (the only physical team they played all year) and scored 14 points.

This year? They may be #1. That game against Washington was pretty impressive. Washington is a quality team. I think Washington is better than Stanford. (I know they lost to them). But I hate that Oregon got UVA and Tennessee out of conference.

BG, seriously, based on your logic throughout this thread, do you really think bama is more impressive than OR. OR played a good WA team and handled them. bama played aTm, though ranked #7 (do you really think they are the #7 team in the country?). Other than those two teams, uat and OR schedules thus far have not been much different in talent level. Right now, you logic for OR is working against you on this one. I'll give you the 'too much love for tOSU. They always seem to garner enough love if they can get a win over a lower tier team. However, based on one of your previous posts, they went undefeated last year and haven't lost this year.

bg simply can't handle what he knows the future holds for the mayor of munchkinland. :nopityA:

This can be up for debate - I guess the only team that can back door into the title game is UA - I mean they did not even win their conference or division for that matter....

I didn't say that. I'd just prefer not to see a team in the title game who not only didn't play any ranked teams, but played within one score of the two teams they played in the top 50.

BG, seriously, based on your logic throughout this thread, do you really think bama is more impressive than OR. OR played a good WA team and handled them. bama played aTm, though ranked #7 (do you really think they are the #7 team in the country?). Other than those two teams, uat and OR schedules thus far have not been much different in talent level. Right now, you logic for OR is working against you on this one. I'll give you the 'too much love for tOSU. They always seem to garner enough love if they can get a win over a lower tier team. However, based on one of your previous posts, they went undefeated last year and haven't lost this year.

I guess you'll find out this weekend about A&M. But my beef is MUCH more with OSU than Oregon. Oregon plays a 9 game Pac 12 schedule and will end up playing a good UCLA team and a good Stanford team. Theyll finish with 3 top 25s in addition to the title game. Ohio St doesn't have near that claim. But last year, Oregon didn't play a ranked team until mid November. And Oregon hasnt beaten anyone yet who would give a top 10 team a scare. Bama has. And I'd say Washington and Ole Miss are on par with one another.

What I'm saying isn't unrealistic. If you know you're in a down league, and you go out and schedule SDSU, Fla A&M, and Buffalo, AND you play two average teams really close...you've got no claim to call yourself the best of the best. Notre Dame did this last year. They beat a bunch of 7-5, 8-4 type teams - many of them closely - and skated to the title game where they would have got blown out by at LEAST 10 other teams besides Bama.

Schedules are often made years in advance...I don't think tOSU figured Cal would be in year one of a rebuild with Dykes...I understand your beef with their schedule but tOSU will get too much media love if they go 12-0 again this season

This can be up for debate - I guess the only team that can back door into the title game is UA - I mean they did not even win their conference or division for that matter....

I didn't say that. I'd just prefer not to see a team in the title game who not only didn't play any ranked teams, but played within one score of the two teams they played in the top 50.

I guess you'll find out this weekend about A&M. But my beef is MUCH more with OSU than Oregon. Oregon plays a 9 game Pac 12 schedule and will end up playing a good UCLA team and a good Stanford team. Theyll finish with 3 top 25s in addition to the title game. Ohio St doesn't have near that claim. But last year, Oregon didn't play a ranked team until mid November. And Oregon hasnt beaten anyone yet who would give a top 10 team a scare. Bama has. And I'd say Washington and Ole Miss are on par with one another.

What I'm saying isn't unrealistic. If you know you're in a down league, and you go out and schedule SDSU, Fla A&M, and Buffalo, AND you play two average teams really close...you've got no claim to call yourself the best of the best. Notre Dame did this last year. They beat a bunch of 7-5, 8-4 type teams - many of them closely - and skated to the title game where they would have got blown out by at LEAST 10 other teams besides Bama.

I agree with you on ND. They lost one in 3 OTs if I remember right and it was an unranked team (maybe Pitt??). Memory maybe slipping. My question is how far out does a team make the OOC schedule. Is tOSU playing a sched that was set up a couple of years ago? Doesn't matter as far as the discussion goes but may lend to why the teams were chosen if the conference was a little stronger when the sched was set. If this is not the case, then I think bama and AU as well have OOC sched issues as well. Granted the conference play is usually stronger than any other conference.

I agree with you on ND. They lost one in 3 OTs if I remember right and it was an unranked team (maybe Pitt??). Memory maybe slipping. My question is how far out does a team make the OOC schedule. Is tOSU playing a sched that was set up a couple of years ago? Doesn't matter as far as the discussion goes but may lend to why the teams were chosen if the conference was a little stronger when the sched was set. If this is not the case, then I think bama and AU as well have OOC sched issues as well. Granted the conference play is usually stronger than any other conference.

I absolutely see what you're saying. But Cal has had years of: 1-5 this year, 9 losses last year, 6 losses, 7 losses, 5 losses going back to 09. So they've never been like scheduling an Oregon.

And beyond that, because I'm willing to concede the fact that they can't help how bad the teams are on their schedule. But they can help how they play on the field. And they've been unable to separate themselves from decent, but not great teams. If you've got Wiksy and NW to show the world you deserve to be #1, then you can't struggle to barely win. Because Oregon, Bama, LSU, FSU, etc are blowing out teams like that - in addition to having the chance to show their stuff against top teams.

So, tell me again WHY uat does not play SC-GA-FLA? :Sing:

So, tell me again WHY uat does not play SC-GA-FLA? :Sing:

We played Florida in 2010 and 2011. We played SC in 2009 and 2010.

We play Florida next year on September 20th.

Not sure what you mean.

So, tell me again WHY uat does not play SC-GA-FLA? :Sing:/>

We played Florida in 2010 and 2011. We played SC in 2009 and 2010.

We play Florida next year on September 20th.

Not sure what you mean.

What about Georgia?

What about Georgia

So we have to play Florida AND Georgia every year? What week this year do you guys play Florida?

30 or more out of the past 50 YRS AU played FLA-GA-TN-LSU Every year while uat played KY-MS-MS ST-Vandy. Again....Just the (I know you can't deal with them) FACTS. :nopityA:

What about Georgia

So we have to play Florida AND Georgia every year? What week this year do you guys play Florida?

Just saying bama alumni schedule makers will guarantee that u guys have an EASY road to sec championship game, FACT!! Only problem was they didn't factor Gus being back at AU!

30 or more out of the past 50 YRS AU played FLA-GA-TN-LSU Every year while uat played KY-MS-MS ST-Vandy. Again....Just the (I know you can't deal with them) FACTS.

What does what happened 50 years ago have to do with today? You're drawing a lot from before the realignment in 1992. I'm pretty sure Florida sucked for a really long time in that 50 year stretch. As did LSU.

UGA has been your east fixture, UT was ours. And when UT was winning 10 games a year like a factory, nobody was saying a word.

And, Id LOVE to play Florida this year. We'd drill them.

30 or more out of the past 50 YRS AU played FLA-GA-TN-LSU Every year while uat played KY-MS-MS ST-Vandy. Again....Just the (I know you can't deal with them) FACTS.

What does what happened 50 years ago have to do with today? You're drawing a lot from before the realignment in 1992. I'm pretty sure Florida sucked for a really long time in that 50 year stretch. As did LSU.

UGA has been your east fixture, UT was ours. And when UT was winning 10 games a year like a factory, nobody was saying a word.

And, Id LOVE to play Florida this year. We'd drill them.

Ur defense will have to score ur points for u, your offense would get shut out. Florida has the best defense in the sec!

Ur defense will have to score ur points for u, your offense would get shut out. Florida has the best defense in the sec!

Florida's defense isn't better than Alabama's now that Easely is gone. And Alabama's offense is light years ahead of Florida's offense. Did you see them score only 6 points against LSU Saturday? And LSU's D has holes in it.

Florida's defense isn't better than Alabama's now that Easely is gone. And Alabama's offense is light years ahead of Florida's offense. Did you see them score only 6 points against LSU Saturday? And LSU's D has holes in it.

Lsu and floridas defense is better than bama's

It is obvious to all but a dark pink lens wearing uater.................

Ha, I chortled.

LSU gave up 26 points and 468 yards to Miss St. Bowling Green held them to fewer. Not to mention the fact that they could only score 3 points on Okie St.

Alabama currently ranks 2nd in the nation in scoring defense, giving up 11 ppg. LSU ranks 34th giving up double that.

Alabama currently ranks 8th in total defense. LSU is 29th.

Alabama and Florida thus far are a wash. They have a common opponent: Kentucky. UK scored 7 points on each. UK managed 173 yards against UF and 170 yards against us. The difference, however, is where Alabama put up 48 points and 668 yards where UF managed 24 points and 402 yards.

I think it's really tough to unequivocally say that anyone is hands down better than the #2 scoring defense in the nation.

Ha, I chortled.

LSU gave up 26 points and 468 yards to Miss St. Bowling Green held them to fewer. Not to mention the fact that they could only score 3 points on Okie St.

Alabama currently ranks 2nd in the nation in scoring defense, giving up 11 ppg. LSU ranks 34th giving up double that.

Alabama and Florida thus far are a wash. They have a common opponent: Kentucky. UK scored 7 points on each. UK managed 173 yards against UF and 170 yards against us. The difference, however, is where Alabama put up 48 points and 668 yards where UF managed 24 points and 402 yards.

I think it's really tough to unequivocally say that anyone is hands down better than the #2 scoring defense in the nation.

And bama ranks 40th in strength of schedule..... I'm listening.............

Ha, I chortled.

OH NO! Now you've gone and done it! You have pointed out uat's VERY Weak schedule! bg may pontificate for pages.......... :dunno:

So after week two, you didn't care about teams opponents, you just cared about our defensive ranking. Now you care?

That's fine. I'll play. I keep posting gobs of statistical data that you fail to address, but whatever.

LSU's played the following scoring offenses: 80th, 72nd. 109th, 28th, 41st, 58th, and 104th. Average: 70th best offense

Alabama's played on average the 72nd best offense. So their opposing offenses are almost identical.

And we're twice as good statistically. So please, provide me something more than hyperbole that shows how LSU has a better defense.

Florida's played one great, one decent and 4 awful defenses. Alabama's played one great, one decent and 4 awful offenses. Alabama and Florida have a common opponent. BOth allowed 7 points, one allowed 170 yards one allowed 173.

LSU's SOS (45), Alabama (47), Florida (42)

http://stats.ncaa.or..._sport_year_div

Next?

I think its the silliest thing in the world to criticize another SEC teams conference schedule. There are 14 teams in the league and each team only plays 8 conference games. Clearly each team can't play everybody or the same teams. PIck apart the non-conference schedules all you want, but the conference stuff is just silly. Everybody that hasn't been living under a rock knows the SEC recently expanded which has caused several one year schedules to come about. Even with that, there has been some rotation. It's been a little different than the normal schedule but there are two more teams added to the mix. Leaving out the newer SEC teams and without looking it up I doubt there is an SEC team that hasn't played the other within the last 5-6 years.

So after week two, you didn't care about teams opponents, you just cared about our defensive ranking. Now you care?

That's fine. I'll play. I keep posting gobs of statistical data that you fail to address, but whatever.

LSU's played the following scoring offenses: 80th, 72nd. 109th, 28th, 41st, 58th, and 104th. Average: 70th best offense

Alabama's played on average the 72nd best offense. So their opposing offenses are almost identical.

And we're twice as good statistically. So please, provide me something more than hyperbole that shows how LSU has a better defense.

Florida's played one great, one decent and 4 awful defenses. Alabama's played one great, one decent and 4 awful offenses. Alabama and Florida have a common opponent. BOth allowed 7 points, one allowed 170 yards one allowed 173.

LSU's SOS (45), Alabama (47), Florida (42)

http://stats.ncaa.or..._sport_year_div

Next?

http://www.fbschedul...edule-rankings/

1. Florida

2. Oklahoma

3. California

4. Purdue

5. Arkansas

6. Iowa State

7. Colorado

8. Stanford

9. Kentucky

10. Kansas

11) Missouri

12) Utah

13) Notre Dame

14) South Carolina

15) Texas

16) LSU

17) TCU

18) Auburn

19) Tennessee

20) Illinois

21) UCLA

22) Baylor

23) Georgia

24) Pittsburgh

25) Kansas State

26) Washington State

28) Texas A&M

29) Michigan

30) Texas Tech

33) Mississippi State

34) Ole Miss,

39) Vanderbilt

40) Alabama. Next..............

Those are current cumluative rankings through the end of the season (including games yet to be played). The rankings I posted were only through games currently played.

Good job not addressing any of my points btw.

Archived