2014 3* JUCO DT Dalvon Stuckey (Arizona State signee)

ellitor

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That Rivals article shows his freshman stats as 85 tackles, 15 tackles for loss, and 8 sacks. Very impressive year, especially from DT position.

Sophomore stats show 19 tackles, 3 tackles for loss, and 2 sacks. Was he injured some this year?

That Rivals article shows his freshman stats as 85 tackles, 15 tackles for loss, and 8 sacks. Very impressive year, especially from DT position.

Sophomore stats show 19 tackles, 3 tackles for loss, and 2 sacks. Was he injured some this year?

was wondering the same thing.

Rivals says he's a 4-star, this thread says 3 star?

Based on 247 composite.

Thought we stopped doing the composite thing . :poke:

Can someone speak to our depth at DT - I'm excited we've got him, but curious about still going after JuCos - and on that note, how many do we have in this class thus far? TIA

Just from the opinions shared on this thread, it seems that Coach Garner thinks the world of Stuckey's talent. So maybe that speaks less to a lack of depth on our part and more to the thought that, "Hey, there's a stud available and we can get him, so we are going to"? Also, if I'm not mistaken, DL is a "plug and play" position. It doesn't require a lot of experience in a particular system, building a rapport with your position mates, etc. So streaming "1-2 and done" guys who come in at college football size and fitness might not be as detrimental to your overall team growth as it could be at other positions.

I stand to be corrected on all of the above.

Can someone speak to our depth at DT - I'm excited we've got him, but curious about still going after JuCos - and on that note, how many do we have in this class thus far? TIA

Just from the opinions shared on this thread, it seems that Coach Garner thinks the world of Stuckey's talent. So maybe that speaks less to a lack of depth on our part and more to the thought that, "Hey, there's a stud available and we can get him, so we are going to"? Also, if I'm not mistaken, DL is a "plug and play" position. It doesn't require a lot of experience in a particular system, building a rapport with your position mates, etc. So streaming "1-2 and done" guys who come in at college football size and fitness might not be as detrimental to your overall team growth as it could be at other positions.

I stand to be corrected on all of the above.

Awesome - thanks! I'm all for the talent aspect, just don't want it to be ALL juco guys. But I'm also not getting paid the $$$ to make decisions.

I mean honestly, we are recruiting this position well and even though we have some depth there, it's depth that hasn't really panned out. I mean we can NOT stop the run up the gut. I know that has to do with LBs too but DTs can certainly make it easier on them. I'm stoked about getting this guy.

Awesome - thanks! I'm all for the talent aspect, just don't want it to be ALL juco guys. But I'm also not getting paid the $$$ to make decisions.

Heard that! That's why we're all so excited about Adams, Daniel and Lawson- we have them for at least another 2 full seasons. That is cause for celebration, to say the least.

This could be a huge leap, but I've had a sneaking thought that Garner isn't positive Jeff Whitaker is coming back 100%. Knee injuries on interior lineman can take longer to deal with than skill players. If Jeff isn't 100%, then we're going to need bodies inside.

Looking at next season, the DTs with prior experience are:

Wright (Sr), Blackson (Sr), Whitaker (Sr), Bradley (Jr), Adams (So), and possibly Daniel (So)

If there's even a possibility that Whitaker is less than 100%, we've got a spot in the rotation (since we rotate six guys at the two interior line spots). Stuckey and Lawrence are more likely to have an immediate impact than any true freshman. Given that, I have no problem bringing in guys that are game ready at a position with holes in the rotation. Daniel could continue to provide a swing player at DE/DT or he could move inside full-time. Basically, bringing in potential playmakers at DT that are game ready gives us some leeway to use guys in a variety of ways.

I'm really excited to have Stuckey in the fold.

Archived