Tennessee Recruiting

aupops2

They are at 31 commitments as of today, can only take 30. They are in hot pursuit of 4* WR Josh Malone and 4* OT Charles Mosely, as well as David Sharpe and Rasheen Evans. Butch Davis and staff think they have found a "loophole" in the 25 + 5 recruiting rules enforced by the SEC. Of course, this is Jones' first year in the conference, and he has already taken some steps that many have deemed questionable. It will be interesting to see how this shakes out: Can a first-year coach buck the SEC rules?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Do you know how there commits look as far as qualifying? Do they expect all 31 or more to qualify?

Good question, golf. They say there may be one or two, but that would nowhere take care of the overage if they are successful in getting some of the uncommitted that they are going after. But that be part of the loophole they are talking about: of course, there's nothing new about that.

Just wondering but this is a school coming off probation and the NCAA is going to have some special "get well" rule that affects them? Hard to believe ...even from the NCAA.

Signing a non-qualifier still counts against a school's limit. If you sign 25 and 10 don't qualify, you still signed 25 that count against your class.

Those extra 10 don't count against your overall 85 limit but they do count against your annual limit of 25 signees.

Any signed above 25 must be early enrolees and counted against your previous year. Thus, if a school signed 25 the prior year they cannot sign more than 25 in the current year.

Non-qualifiers Robinson and Smith caused us to lose two slots off of last year's limit of 25, even though they never made it into school.

Example: AU signed 22 last year, so we can sign 28 this year as long as three of those 28 are early enrolees. Had Robinson and Smith never been signed, we'd have two more slots to count against last year.

Example: AU signed 22 last year, so we can sign 28 this year as long as three of those 28 are early enrolees. Had Robinson and Smith never been signed, we'd have two more slots to count against last year.

We signed 24 last year. 2 EEs back counted thus giving the 3 spots to get to 29 this year if we wanted.

Any reason we don't take the full 29 this year?

We signed 24 last year. 2 EEs back counted thus giving the 3 spots to get to 29 this year if we wanted.

Likely there is not 28 quality recruits the staff thinks it can sign.

Likely there is not 28 quality recruits the staff thinks it can sign.

Gotcha. Well I'm interested to see how things play out for Tennessee's recruiting class. Are we battling with UT for anyone for which their huge commit list could give us a recruiting edge?

Quoting ellitor: We signed 24 last year. 2 EEs back counted thus giving the 3 spots to get to 29 this year if we wanted." That should be 28, El, unless 25+3 now equals 29.

I guess I should have clarified my earlier statement: Try this: "Last year we signed 22 THAT COUNTED AGAINST LAST YEAR, THUS LEAVING US WITH A POSSIBLE 28 THIS YEAR." I thought that was obvious due to the other statements I made in the post, but I guess not.

Anyway you cut it, we can sign 28 this time because last year we only signed 22 that counted against 2013's limit of 25.

Quoting ellitor: We signed 24 last year. 2 EEs back counted thus giving the 3 spots to get to 29 this year if we wanted." That should be 28, El, unless 25+3 now equals 29.

I guess I should have clarified my earlier statement: Try this: "Last year we signed 22 THAT COUNTED AGAINST LAST YEAR, THUS LEAVING US WITH A POSSIBLE 28 THIS YEAR." I thought that was obvious due to the other statements I made in the post, but I guess not.

Anyway you cut it, we can sign 28 this time because last year we only signed 22 that counted against 2013's limit of 25.

It was whatever time in the morning. I had just woke up., Give me a break. lol

I deleted it because in retrospect I relized it was pointless but somebody replied to i before I deleted it.

Gotcha. Well I'm interested to see how things play out for Tennessee's recruiting class. Are we battling with UT for anyone for which their huge commit list could give us a recruiting edge?

There are some we are talking to. I am not sure how hard we are recruiting them at the moment.

Tennessee now has 31 commits, and the Crystal Ball has three major 4* kids leaning toward them: Charles Moseley, Josh Malone, and David Sharpe. I cannot figure out what's going on there!!

Tennessee now has 31 commits, and the Crystal Ball has three major 4* kids leaning toward them: Charles Moseley, Josh Malone, and David Sharpe. I cannot figure out what's going on there!!

My best guess is they are going to pull a Saban and on signing day morning they'll tell several of them "Oops, sorry, all we've got for you is an offer to greyshirt".

My best guess is they are going to pull a Saban and on signing day morning they'll tell several of them "Oops, sorry, all we've got for you is an offer to greyshirt".

If you consider all the possible ways of counting schoolys, you can't come up with more than 32. They're going to have to offer grey shirts. I wish they would offer Cortez one, but he's one of their better commits, so that's not gonna happen. Actually, their class right now is better in quantity than quality, but if they get the three I mentioned, that would change their average a lot!

Tennessee just presented 27 seniors on Senior Day!! Talk about being able to sell early playing time.

... or they know somethings coming that'll cause some to flee.

(no know nothing - just another scenario)

Some fleeing wouldn't matter. They are up against the annual limit of 25 plus however many they were short last year. It should be rather easy for somebody with a premium account to go to say, Rivals and count how many they signed for the 2013 class. Be sure to account for any EE's that may have counted back to 2012.

Some combination of early enrollment or a Saban grey shirt status. Saban gets away with his grey shirts, UT does not have the status with recruits to get away with grey shirting antics.

Just heard, they're planning to sign 35 , have 14 EEs, and greyshirt the rest. They ARE going to pull out all stops to keep Lambert.

I'm not sure, but they only signed 21 last year, plus they are going to have a lot of attrition from 27 seniors and several underclassmen that Butch Jones wants to process. He is playing loosely with the rules, by all indications, and we'll have to wait and see if he gets away with it.

Archived