2015 4* QB Kai Locksley (Texas signee)

ellitor

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Interesting.....not sure why the coaches think we need 2 Qbs in this or the next class though.

Injury? Competition? Player development? Potential discipline? 2 QB system?

Interesting.....not sure why the coaches think we need 2 Qbs in this or the next class though.

This has been their plan for a few months. You want 3 in the next 2 classes to give you 4 scholly QBs going into the 2015 season. We will have JJ, SW, and TQ. It's very possible by his senior year that JW will be helping the team in other ways ala Kodi Burns.

Boy I hope thats not the case. I guess I can see it from a numbers standpoint, if the coaches feel that Wallace can't really contribute as a QB at this level.

Boy I hope thats not the case. I guess I can see it from a numbers standpoint, if the coaches feel that Wallace can't really contribute as a QB at this level.

I think it was apparent what the coaches thought about JW's ability at QB, seeing as they brought KF in at wildcat during the Utk game, and only let JW throw 2 passes (I think) against Western Carolina. JW is a good athlete, and seems to be a true Auburn Man, so I hope it works out for him to move to another position. Can he catch a pass that hits him in the numbers??? Line him up at WR!!!!

After watching Cam in 2010 and now Marshall this year, it's pretty clear that Gus's offense works well with a QB that can run. Is it essential? No. Is it a benefit? You bet!

After watching Cam in 2010 and now Marshall this year, it's pretty clear that Gus's offense works well with a QB that can run. Is it essential? No. Is it a benefit? You bet!

Chris Todd approves of this message :thumbsup:

And our offense under Todd was better than 2010 or 2013? Uh, NO! It was acceptable under Todd, not so much during the mess of 2011. The running QB has made first downs that didn't happen with Todd and other non-runners at QB.

And our offense under Todd was better than 2010 or 2013? Uh, NO! It was acceptable under Todd, not so much during the mess of 2011. The running QB has made first downs that didn't happen with Todd and other non-runners at QB.

I was agreeing with you, or so I thought. The 2009 offense was much better than "acceptable". It was really, really good by Auburn standards. Todd set a few school passing records, and Ben Tate played himself into a 2nd round draft selection. Which- along with Malzahn's Tulsa teams- goes to show that Gus doesn't need a running QB. I think the fact that Sean White and Tyler Queen- both "mobile", perhaps, but not "dual-threat"- were top priorities shows that Gus is perfectly happy with a pocket passer.

BUT... clearly Cam and Nick have both provided a different and explosive dimension to the offense, and it looks like Gus wants that to continue to be an option (pun intended).

I'm not sure why we're even recruiting high school QBs anymore. I'm on board with the all-JUCO, all-the-time approach under center! :)

I prefer a guy who can sling it in the pocket to a guy who can run any day because throwing the ball is the definition of a Qb and we have a stable of solid running back who can run the ball. A guy who is solid in both areas is obviously better and helps the offense in both areas but I really do not care anymore because Gus has proven to be a master at making his offense work with the players he has. He is excellent at using their strengths and masking their weaknesses.

In an interview the other day Gus answered the question of whether his offense works better with a running QB or a passing QB.

He said he designs his offense around the strengths of his QB.

If QB can Run he takes advantage of it, If QB can Pass he takes advantage of it, IF QB can Run and Pass he takes advantage of it and wins a National Championship.

I was agreeing with you, or so I thought. The 2009 offense was much better than "acceptable". It was really, really good by Auburn standards. Todd set a few school passing records, and Ben Tate played himself into a 2nd round draft selection. Which- along with Malzahn's Tulsa teams- goes to show that Gus doesn't need a running QB. I think the fact that Sean White and Tyler Queen- both "mobile", perhaps, but not "dual-threat"- were top priorities shows that Gus is perfectly happy with a pocket passer.

BUT... clearly Cam and Nick have both provided a different and explosive dimension to the offense, and it looks like Gus wants that to continue to be an option (pun intended).

Tyler Queen won't have many break away runs but he is more Dual-Threat than most give him credit for. He ran for over 1,000 yards last year. Pocket passers do not do that. White would be more of a pocket passer for sure though he can extend drives with his legs as well. Not saying you were wrong at all, I was just trying to point out the difference between them.

His father coaches at Maryland. Almost see no chance of him going to anywhere but there.

2015 is a long way away. Given coaching turnover in jobs it's just as likely his dad will not be there then as it is he will be there.

What is Kai's early thoughts about coach Malzahn and what his Tigers are doing this year?

He has not been interviewed since getting the Auburn offer.

• 1 month later...

Gus quickly develops the O around the QB and by now has proven he can develop defense-throttling offenses around either a pocket passer that can by the way run (e.g. Tulsa QB Paul Smith in 2007) or dual threat guys like Cam or Nick.

Something important to keep in mind is Gus has never had the luxury of having a starting college QB return since Nick will be the first (subject to messrs Johnson & White). Don't be surprised if a deeper AU receiver corp makes for a more pocket-oriented Nick in 2014.

Archived