2015 5* DT Trent Thompson (Georgia signee)

EagleDamnWar

I believe UGA is his childhood favorite. They offered him first and they make a big deal about that. We can overcome their lead by:

1) Winning

2) Adams and the boys show out

3) Keep getting him on Campus

It wouldn't hurt if UGA has an average season.

• Replies 563
  • Created
  • Last Reply

TT = 99% UGA.

Just going from what we've all known, or did something happen today?

Convos with my buddy who happens to be close friends with TT's coach. TT is the closest thing to a UGA lock as there is. The only way we get him is if: we appear in the postseason and UGA falls on their face this year. This guy's recruitment will be one decided by how the season's go.

TT = 99% UGA.

UGA has a lead but not that much of one as far as I know.

TT = 99% UGA.

UGA has a lead but not that much of one as far as I know.

It's more of a lead than many here want to believe.

TT = 99% UGA.

Convos with my buddy who happens to be close friends with TT's coach. TT is the closest thing to a UGA lock as there is. The only way we get him is if: we appear in the postseason and UGA falls on their face this year. This guy's recruitment will be one decided by how the season's go.

If Richt leaves after this year (which is better than 50/50 chance I am told) would this have an effect on TT's decision?

TT = 99% UGA.

If Richt leaves after this year (which is better than 50/50 chance I am told) would this have an effect on TT's decision?

Richt is not going to leave this year no matter what, he isnt going to leave for a while.

TT = 99% UGA.

Richt is not going to leave this year no matter what, he isnt going to leave for a while.

Unless something crazy happens, I think Richt will retire at UGA. No championships but they've never missed a bowl game.

Dug up some crazy stats on Richt recently. He's 4-17 against ranked teams over the last 5 seasons or so. Same 4-17 record against SEC opponents which finished with a .500 record. I think Georgia fans have come to terms with the fact that Richt is not going to win the big game for them, but their attitude seems to be "who else are we going to get that's better?"

Guest jojo1515

Dug up some crazy stats on Richt recently. He's 4-17 against ranked teams over the last 5 seasons or so. Same 4-17 record against SEC opponents which finished with a .500 record. I think Georgia fans have come to terms with the fact that Richt is not going to win the big game for them, but their attitude seems to be "who else are we going to get that's better?"

Alot of people thought the same about AU and Tubs....meanwhile 2 coaches and 2 national championship games later and nobody is crying to get him back...sometimes you just gotta take a chance, throw all your chips in and ante up!

TT = 99% UGA.

If Richt leaves this year, then TT is almost an AU lock. Another thing would be Rocker. If Rocker bolts for the NFL, then this will also change things. If the AU DLine plays outstanding, and the UGA DLine plays average or worse, that will also change things. But we need Monty Adams to have a great year. TT will be watching Monty very closely.

Alot of people thought the same about AU and Tubs....meanwhile 2 coaches and 2 national championship games later and nobody is crying to get him back...sometimes you just gotta take a chance, throw all your chips in and ante up!

Anybody that thought that about Tuberville at Auburn wasn't paying attention. If he was known for anything, it was for winning the big games. Losing the little ones wasn't much fun, but unlike Richt, Tuberville could win the big one.

Anybody that thought that about Tuberville at Auburn wasn't paying attention. If he was known for anything, it was for winning the big games. Losing the little ones wasn't much fun, but unlike Richt, Tuberville could win the big one.

Also, Tuberville was fired after a losing season in which he got absolutely demolished by Saban in Saban's 2nd season at Alabama, didn't beat any ranked teams and lost to 2 unranked teams. We weren't really rolling the dice by making a change.

Tubs wasn't fired.

Forced resignation?

The world may never know. Jay Jacobs maintains that Tubs resigned, and Jacobs asked him to reconsider 3 times. I actually think that's the truth - I really like Tuberville, but he gets the wanderlust pretty bad. I mean, just look at the Texas Tech/Cincinnati thing from about a year and a half ago.

Tubs wasn't fired.

Forced resignation?

The world may never know. Jay Jacobs maintains that Tubs resigned, and Jacobs asked him to reconsider 3 times. I actually think that's the truth - I really like Tuberville, but he gets the wanderlust pretty bad. I mean, just look at the Texas Tech/Cincinnati thing from about a year and a half ago.

If he resigned, why the pay out?

Tubs wasn't fired.

Forced resignation?

Ha, I can't wait to hear someone try and answer this.

Tubs wasn't fired.

Forced resignation?

Ha, I can't wait to hear someone try and answer this.

Easy. Because AU, courtesy of a certain trustee, breached his contract. That particular trustee called Houston Nutt to see if he would be interested in the job. Nutt and Tubs had the same agent. Tuberville wanted out, and we breached his contract in a way where he could resign and still take the buyout, so he did.

Seems like it's still a fairly long shot to swing him from UGA but you never know with this stuff. He's visited AU 5 times now and should have a pretty good idea of what we bring to the table. This one isn't gonna be over for a while I'd imagine and I'd wager Garner & co. will be slugging it out till the end.

TT = 99% UGA.

JMO but Trent will be a very tough pull. Yes his mom is the key but there is another key here that comes from Recruiting 101. The school that has the best relationship with the recruit almost always has the best chance of landing the recruit. Trent recently said his best relationships are with the UGA staff. That will be very tough to beat.

My two cents here: Something could be announced before long. (Commit to UGA)

FWIW, I am going to wait until his LOI lands somewhere before I concede. ;)

I agree that Thompson is UGA's to lose. But it's vitally important to be that #2 school just in case something happens between the kid and his 1st choice. It happens every year. We don't always have the resources to keep recruiting kids that commit elsewhere, but I'm sure Thompson will be a top priority until signing day no matter where he is committed to. And it's going be fun to watch how this all plays out!

Remember that everything is new with UGA on the defensive side of the ball. They have a new DC and DL coach, so they are still in the honeymoon phase. But as soon as they begin to struggle, then there will be unrest in Athens. If they have a rough year, and Montravious shows out then anything can happen. UGA fans are eventually going to tire over the mediocrity and underachieving that is the Mark Richt Era.

My reasons for optimism:

• Rocker won't be in Athens long IYAM. Will he bolt after 1 year? Maybe, maybe not, but it won't be long.
  • A bad year results in dismissals
  • A great year results in Pruitt (or another coach) getting HC job or promotion at different school
  • We have a great year, DL shows out and guys get drafted

Any one of those could do it. If more than one of them happen even better!

But don't let me sway anyone. IMO, he is going to commit to UGA before long. But I believe he winds up a AU.

Archived