Can you deny a 1 loss AU over undefeated Ohio State?

ReidMcLain

I think it's reasonably fair to assume that OSU would lose to either LSU or A&M and would get destroyed by Alabama.

Their struggles against Northwestern and Wisky are pretty eye opening. Put them in the meat grinder of a week in and week out SEC schedule - and it'd yield losses.

This. They think of this 20+ game winning streak as something phenomenal, but they've only played a handful of ranked teams in the past two seasons. I wouldn't be surprised if we've beaten more ranked teams this season than they have the past two seasons combined. (Too lazy to look it up.)

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My fear is, should we be fortunate to win Saturday, UAT has an outside chance to back into another National Championship game if we do make it to the SEC championship game and faulter and lose that game. I think OSU will lose one of their remaining games. If we win Saturday, most likely the turds would be the highest ranked 1 loss team behind us. If we are unfortunate in the SEC championship, that would leave FSU #1 and the turds #2, meaning they get in again without winning the SEC.

That is one of my fears as well. The other is that we beat bama and win the SECCG. Meanwhile, OSU loses one of their remaining games and FSU loses their final game because they are Winstonless and the program is sent reeling because of it.

Which would mean we would be in the championship game facing........the houndstoothless nation again.

Don't worry about it. FSU and OSU are not both going to lose. Besi which Clemson will wind up ranked higher than the turds.

Clemson won't be top 10 after they lose to south cackalacki

If we lose to Alabama, we'll need Clemson to beat them so that we are a sure lock in the Sugar Bowl.

If OSU wins out, we do not deserve to jump them. That would be a bigger screw over by a good bit than 2004 for us. We need Michigan State to beat OSU...which is possible.

I wonder more how voters will treat FSU if evidence quickly emerges that truly makes Winston seem guilty. It may have a disqualifying effect to some voters.

I rather the BCS end on a screw job and Auburn is redeemed because of it

If OSU wins out, we do not deserve to jump them. That would be a bigger screw over by a good bit than 2004 for us. We need Michigan State to beat OSU...which is possible.

I wonder more how voters will treat FSU if evidence quickly emerges that truly makes Winston seem guilty. It may have a disqualifying effect to some voters.

I rather the BCS end on a screw job and Auburn is redeemed because of it

Talk about poetic justice!!!!

My fear is, should we be fortunate to win Saturday, UAT has an outside chance to back into another National Championship game if we do make it to the SEC championship game and faulter and lose that game. I think OSU will lose one of their remaining games. If we win Saturday, most likely the turds would be the highest ranked 1 loss team behind us. If we are unfortunate in the SEC championship, that would leave FSU #1 and the turds #2, meaning they get in again without winning the SEC.

That is one of my fears as well. The other is that we beat bama and win the SECCG. Meanwhile, OSU loses one of their remaining games and FSU loses their final game because they are Winstonless and the program is sent reeling because of it.

Which would mean we would be in the championship game facing........the houndstoothless nation again.

Don't worry about it. FSU and OSU are not both going to lose. Besi which Clemson will wind up ranked higher than the turds.

Clemson won't be top 10 after they lose to south cackalacki

I look for Clemson to win even though it is in Columbia. AU has a lot of ground to make up and I am not certain that they can completely cover that distance unless OSU loses.

Do you really think an undefeated tOSU is better than a one loss AU, Mizzou, or even bama? No way, no matter if they are undefeated and it has nothing to do with 2004, it has to do with a teams resume.

Michigan State over Ohio State in B1G championship game.

This is our ticket into the championship game if we were to win out. Better become Michgan St. fans in a hurry!

I did. Go to www.spartannation.com/category/other/phalanx-forum

Lets beat 'em once before we start worrying about having to beat them twice

^^^

^^^ !

Auburn was dissed in 04 even though we were undefeated and won the SEC championship. The BCS really got it right that year, USC against Oklahoma. What a bunch of smacked a$$e$

I think we could beat OSU but I can honestly say it would not be right if we passed an undefeated team in that league. I think MSU will take care of them for us though. we just need to take care of our business first.

I just can't see any 1-loss team moving ahead of any unbeaten Top-5 champion from one of the major BCS conferences (SEC, Big 10, Pac 12, Big 12, or ACC) this late in the season. Could we beat Ohio State on the field?--probably. But would voters rank a one-loss Auburn over a perfect tOSU (or hypothetically, a perfect USCw, Texas, Oklahoma, Oregon, Notre Dame, etc.)? I doubt it. Too much national jealousy over the SEC's domination of the BSCNC, and too much animosity from those who still think Cam was guilty and Auburn continues to cheat (or believe the entire SEC cheats and is overrated).

Outside of the SEC there are lots of Big 10, Pac 12, and Big 12 fans/journalists/coaches who hate the SEC. And to be honest, if I had Big 10/OSU loyalties, I'd probably yell bloody murder if 1-loss SEC team supplanted a perfect, Big 10 champion Buckeyes in the BCSCG. That being said, however I suppose it's a mathematical possibility that we could move close enough to the Buckeyes in the human polls that our computer rankings pulled us ahead, should we win out.

But I am also superstitious enough to feel uneasy just speculating about winning out...I just want to beat Bama! And even if we don't win another game, I am so proud of what we've done this season compared to where we were last year that this team has already won a place in my heart as one of the great AU teams of my (59-year) lifetime. Moreover, BCS or Heisman speculation aside, if Gus Malzahn does not win National Coach of the Year, that will be the real miscarriage of justice!

If we wanted to play in the national championship game, we should have beaten LSU.

Some of you guys have really short memories. And my some I mean most.

I think they will because they know that Auburn comes from the stronger conference than where Ohio State comes from.

It just ain't gonna happen. A lot of people just really don't want an SEC team in there. They will not vault Auburn ahead of OSU unless they lose.

I know this thread is based upon the hypothesis that tOSU is undefeated and AU has one less but I would be surprised if tOSU makes it thru Michigan State...this season is not over yet. Too many 'What If's...' floating around!

If we wanted to play in the national championship game, we should have beaten LSU.

That logic is not exact, no one could foresee 3 unbeaten teams at this point. And, when has a one loss SEC team been denied recently?

Guest jojo1515

I know this thread is based upon the hypothesis that tOSU is undefeated and AU has one less but I would be surprised if tOSU makes it thru Michigan State...this season is not over yet. Too many 'What If's...' floating around!

That logic is not exact, no one could foresee 3 unbeaten teams at this point. And, when has a one loss SEC team been denied recently?

I can think of 3 in the last seven years that had a loss and went to the NC...

You are correct, but mathematically it is possible for us to win out and jump Ohio St. If we beat UAT and M, but not if we play USC in the SECCG.

I can think of 3 in the last seven years that had a loss and went to the NC...

But not ahead of an unbeaten BCS conference champion. Damn you, Mike Gundy and/or Paul Rhoads.

Give you one better, an undefeated SEC did not get an invite just 9 years ago. Wanna guess who that was?

The SEC has owned the BCS and will continue to do so, unless there are no undefeated teams in the SEC when an Ohio State, Norte Dame, USC, Oklahoma, Nebraska, or Michigan have a better record. Of course that is assuming that it is not a one-loss Bama or LSU being denied in the SEC. Media darlings always win out, even if they fail to win their conference.

There are 6 teams in the SEC ranked. Name another conference even comes close? Of course there are not any!

The best conference outside the SEC, is the PAC10. They have already knocked each other out. If Ohio State played in the SEC, they would not be undefeated. Heck Michigan State will probably take the wind out of their sails.

The last two times Ohio State has played an SEC for all the marbles, they got their arses handed to them. I would be careful, if I were them, not to be humiliated again.

That's why I hate the BCS. It is a media darling contest for the most part.

All I can say is if this team wins out then they are #1 in my book and that is all that matters. Just like they were in 2004, 1993, 1983 and 1958. We are not bama and we don't judge our team based on what the corner stores paper said they were. In fact if they lost the rest of the way (which they won't) they would still be champions in my book just based on the hearts they played with all year. JMHO. WDE

Good thing we have you to remind us about our short memories, otherwise, we might forget. It's a discussion board, if you don't like the discussion, go to another thread.

No I don't think any one loss team jumps ahead of an undefeated team this year. It's the last year of the BCS and the voters aren't going to have to deal with the fall out they did back in '04. Besides, as long as we bring down uat this weekend, I'll be more than happy with this season regardless of SECCG or NC.

Are you serious? Go to another thread? Because I was DISCUSSING the fact that if we had beaten LSU we wouldn't have had to come up with a lame scenario to back into the NC game.

How many of you jumped up and down moaning and crying when Alabama backed into the game? But because we got jobbed out of the game in '04 all of a sudden backing into the game over a team that couldn't have done anything more to improve their standing is legit? That's the whole of it. OSU can not have done anything else this season to improve their chances at the game. And they play in a traditional power conference. What would you have them do?

We on the other hand could have done plenty to improve our chances. It was in our hands and we flubbed it. Now we need to hope other teams help us, if we even win out. So no, I don't think a one loss team from the SEC should get in over an undefeated Big 10 champion.

Something interesting I saw yesterday, which I haven't confirmed is true. Current top 25 teams OSU has beaten: 1. FSU: 1. Alabama: 2. So I think I'll temper my impression of how easy OSU has had it or other teams haven't had it.

BTW, telling someone you disagree with to leave the thread because you are having a discussion ... JV move.

Archived