Is Tre gonna go pro early? How about anybody else?

au_weagle

2,137 total yards vs 2,012. 22 rushing touchdowns vs 17 rushing and 20 total. Still a game to go. Maybe "crushing" is a stretch- and, yeah, I'm going to be biased and downplay any bammer success- but Tre's a more worthy candidate than Ingram was. I don't think he'll beat Winston, though, and that's okay.

Oh... you're adding in kick return yards... I don't think Ingram returned any kickoffs during his Heisman run...

As Running back Tre has 1621 in rushing and 121 in receiving. Ingram had 1658 yards rushing and 334 yard receiving. Ingram's yardage is very impressive given the amount of carries he had, not to mention the receiving numbers averaging 10 yards per catch. I hate to say it, but they are impressive stats.

Listen, I'm a Tre fan and think he deserves to be looked at for Heisman, but I just don't think he got the media attention soon enough to make a dent in what Winston did. The Heisman is as much about the media promotion as it is the stats of the player. Tre just wasn't a media darling like Winston was. If he stays another year, he'll be on the watch list early and with the Oline we will have next year... my guess is he'd have a very good chance at the award.

Not only would he have the Heisman to return for... but if we can pull out the win this year in the NC game, there is the chance to repeat next year. I think the team will be better next year and have a much higher initial ranking to help move us forward to a NC game having only to be in the top 4.

No, Ingram didn't return kicks. And Tre didn't catch many passes, because we don't throw many. But since you seem intent on sculpting Ingram's numbers to exceed Tre's, I should mention that Tre has averaged 11 yards per catch this season (a full yard better than Ingram's average, compared to the .4 yard per carry advantage of Ingram's that you pointed out). Again, Tre's total yards exceed Ingram's. Kick returns are an extremely important part of the game and have factored into many Heisman campaigns: Reggie Bush; Desmond Howard, Charles Woodson, Raghib ismail (almost), Tyranne Mathieu (almost) etc. Touchdowns are also a pretty important part of the game, which is why I'll remind you once again that Tre has more of them. And, again, Tre still has a game to go. Going on his total yards per game average for the season, that would put Tre over 300 yards and 3-4 touchdowns ahead of Ingram. Going by just his average yards from scrimmage- we can leave the kick returns out- for the last 6 games, which includes 5 SEC games, the best 2 defenses in the SEC and an FAU game in which he only had 10 touches for 60 yards, that would still put him at 300 more yards than Ingram (and again with those pesky touchdowns).There are also a lot of intangibles to consider, such as 2009 being Saban's third year while this was Gus's first, Tre going huge in the IB while Ingram didn't even get off the bus for it, Tre doubling Ingram's production in the SECCG...

That all said, I also said that I don't think Tre is going to overtake Winston for the Heisman this year, but that's not the point. The point is that Tre Mason is ready for the NFL if he wants to go.

PS- I was wrong about something. Ingram only had 1,992 yards from scrimmage in '09.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As much as we love Tre, I will always remember Marcus Lattimore and Tyrone Prothro. Both had legit NFL talent and careers ruined due to injuries. Any player that has NFL dreams and especially the punishment a RB takes, needs to seize the opportunity when he has the chance.

He'll get his draft evaluation and make a decision from there on what's best for him. It's all about how NFL executives judge his value at this time and fortunately for us all, they don't wear rose colored glasses and their emotions on their sleeve. It is a business evaluation and Tre will most definitley make a business decision. Let's not all get our panties in a wad regardless of what he decides. AU is fine either way I assure you.

+1

Tre needs to do what he feels strongest about. Some RBs are lucky and play 10 years. Most don't. Kenny Irons was drafted in the 2nd round, got hurt and was done. I'm sure he greatly values the career he had at Auburn.

If his dream of the NFL is stronger than his dream of winning the Heisman and he's projected for the 2nd round, he needs to consider it. But there are no guarantees either way and the odds are he isn't playing football 5 years from now. That said, I hope he has a long HOF career.

If GR is really rated that high, I don't see how he would stay. Value of OL stock depends so much on the success of the team + being injury free. His stock couldn't get much higher, so the risk of playing another year would be huge. That being said, hope he does decide to stay. Greg has some things to work on. Needs to work on technique with hands. Gets too many holding calls. I don't think he has quite as much lateral quickness as some of our smaller tackles, but I've never seen a player with as much push and drive off the ball. Incredible strength. His All-Pro future may be as a guard.

I think Tre will go Pro, Robinson as a first rounder would be gone.

I will be pulling for them, whatever decision they make. We will be fine if either leaves, but of course better if they stay.

Archived