Is Tre gonna go pro early? How about anybody else?

au_weagle

The NFL grinds up running backs like Tre in a couple years because there is always another awaiting the call. If he likes being in college, wants to make a name for himself at AU forever and does not need the money he ought to stay. Third or 4th round RBs don't get that much bonus money and most agents over-estimate where their clients (beyond the obvious first round players) will get drafted .....leaving the players to scramble for try-out opportunities with various NFL teams. If he stays, I can't see Gus running him 40 carries (or even 30) per game because he knows that kind of load will hurt him the following week. In the game against Mizz, there was no "next week" and Tre has a month to get rested and ready for another effort.

Now Greg....that's a different story and based on what he's done lately he will probably be an early first rounder.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Love both guys.

JMO but Tre has to go. It will never get better for him. Robinson should seek good advice. Only a true talent evaluator can assess his readiness as a pass blocker.

I think we're good with depth in both places. Of course they'll be missed.

I hope Tre stays for his senior year. It will make his stock go higher and it will help us having him in the backfield next season.

I hope Tre stays for his senior year. It will make his stock go higher and it will help us having him in the backfield next season.

I definitely would love to have Tre back next year, however, his stock is extremely high right now. He will be in NY for the Heisman ceremony. He will not win, but he may be as high as #2.

Jameis Winston has this year locked up.

Selfishly, I want Tre to stay. But if I was in his shoes I'd be gone no questions asked. His big question mark is size, and that isn't going to get any bigger by coming back another year. He's a great kid and I hope to see him succeed in the NFL, but not before beating FSU for a championship.

I would certainly love to see him stay. I know a few weeks ago, there was discussion of this and most thought he would stay because he was projected to go in the later rounds. Of course, after the last few weeks, his stock is probably up now. I just don't know how much. I would love to see him back with Marshall and Co. and go for the Heisman next season.

Either way, War Eagle Tre!

The NFL grinds up running backs like Tre in a couple years because there is always another awaiting the call.

Really? When was the last time you saw an NFL back carry the ball 46 times in one game? If you were to take Mason's carries per game this season and translate it over to a 16-game NFL season he would finish with 348 carries. That would put him in a tie with Adrian Peterson from 2nd most in the NFL last year, and only 3 carries behind Arian Foster who had 351. Now lets take into account the games in which we played cupcakes and barely even played Mason (6 carries vs. West Carolina, 10 vs. FAU, etc) which are actually weighing his carries per game down and you get a more realistic picture of how hard Mason has been ridden this season. Especially these past 3 weeks: 27 vs UGA, 29 vs. UA, 46 vs. Mizzou. That is a ridiculously heavy workload, that quite frankly you no longer see in the NFL period. Not in today's NFL which is a passing league.

Basically; your entire statement above is completely inverted. The NFL doesn't grind runningbacks; it is the colleges who only have them for a maximum 4 years anyway and are only investing scholarships into them. NFL teams use draft picks (a more limited and therefore valuable commodity than a scholarship) and have millions of dollars tied-into "good" runningbacks. They therefore want to extend the useable window of these players as long as possible, whereas a college only has them for 4 useable years anyways so there is little to no penalty for running a guy into the ground if it means winning games. You see the same thing in college baseball with star pitchers who are hilariously overworked...guys pitching on 3-4 days rest, throwing ~150 pitches a game whereas an MLB team would never ever push a star player that hard because there is million of dollars in real money involved on the line.

The NFL grinds up running backs like Tre in a couple years because there is always another awaiting the call.

Really? When was the last time you saw an NFL back carry the ball 46 times in one game? If you were to take Mason's carries per game this season and translate it over to a 16-game NFL season he would finish with 348 carries. That would put him in a tie with Adrian Peterson from 2nd most in the NFL last year, and only 3 carries behind Arian Foster who had 351. Now lets take into account the games in which we played cupcakes and barely even played Mason (6 carries vs. West Carolina, 10 vs. FAU, etc) which are actually weighing his carries per game down and you get a more realistic picture of how hard Mason has been ridden this season. Especially these past 3 weeks: 27 vs UGA, 29 vs. UA, 46 vs. Mizzou. That is a ridiculously heavy workload, that quite frankly you no longer see in the NFL period. Not in today's NFL which is a passing league.

Basically; your entire statement above is completely inverted. The NFL doesn't grind runningbacks; it is the colleges who only have them for a maximum 4 years anyway and are only investing scholarships into them. NFL teams use draft picks (a more limited and therefore valuable commodity than a scholarship) and have millions of dollars tied-into "good" runningbacks. They therefore want to extend the useable window of these players as long as possible, whereas a college only has them for 4 useable years anyways so there is little to no penalty for running a guy into the ground if it means winning games. You see the same thing in college baseball with star pitchers who are hilariously overworked...guys pitching on 3-4 days rest, throwing ~150 pitches a game whereas an MLB team would never ever push a star player that hard because there is million of dollars in real money involved on the line.

What's the average life span of a nfl rb?...btw whens the last time you saw a college pitcher throw over 120 pitches in a game? Lil off ....just saying

Stock isn't the issue. He's hit his ceiling.

Which is why he will declare and why it makes no logical sense for him to return. He probably has 2nd/3rd round value right now. Staying another year isn't going to push him into the 1st round. All he'd be doing is wearing another year off his legs and dramatically increasing his risk of injury. He has a considerably stronger likelihood of getting hurt and LOSING stock than he does in actually making any significant improvement in stock. A runningback is one awkward hit away from a season ending or season debilitating injury at all times. Look at Todd Gurley: huge, powerful runner...suffers a sprained ankle that keeps him out of a few games and seriously limits him in several more.

Mason has been able to avoid the injury bug to date despite some very high carry outings. It is in his best interest to strike while the iron is hot and while he is still healthy.

The grind 'em up because they get pounded and knees ruined, etc....it's not just the number of carries that does them in.... it's the injuries. Defenders are bigger, faster and stronger than college and even the lucky RBs only seem to make a few seasons before they start the process of rebuilding their knees. Read somewhere recently that average career for a RB was less than 3 years. ...of course the pros play more games per season and generally have fewer running plays than a school like AU.

He shouldn't. He plays good in our scheme but not sure he will be NFL caliber or durable. I like that Roc Thomas coming in!

durable? Really....what make you say that? He plays in the toughest, hardest hitting league in all of college football and runs mostly between the tackles and you question his durability.

46 carries in one game sounds pretty durable especially considering they came one week after 29 carries for 164 yrds against uat. :dunno: If he stays that's great for AU but if he chooses to go, I support and wish him well.

The grind 'em up because they get pounded and knees ruined, etc....it's not just the number of carries that does them in.... it's the injuries. Defenders are bigger, faster and stronger than college and even the lucky RBs only seem to make a few seasons before they start the process of rebuilding their knees. Read somewhere recently that average career for a RB was less than 3 years. ...of course the pros play more games per season and generally have fewer running plays than a school like AU.

Injuries occur on awkward hits. That happens at every level of football regardless of skill or size or strength. I'd also like to remind you that we play in the SEC and not in the WAC. The guys hitting him in this conference are 300+ pound linemen; 230-240+ pound linebackers, etc. Jadaveon Clowney was NFL ready after his first season physically; in fact, he is probably more impressive physically than 90% of the players at his position in the NFL. Carrying the ball 46 times against an SEC defense is more likely to cause injury than 15-20 carries against an NFL defense.

btw whens the last time you saw a college pitcher throw over 120 pitches in a game? Lil off ....just saying

Is this a serious question? #1 overall pick Mark Appel would top 120-130 pitches regularly at Stanford. During this past year's NCAA tournament North Carolina made all sorts of bad headlines after they threw out their top pitcher Kent Emmanuel in relief and let him throw 51 pitches with noticeably decreased velocity and command after he threw 124 pitches in a start just two days prior. 175 total pitches in three days.

Dont get me wrong the pitcher abuse in the NCAA has gotten better when compared to the early 2000's where it was sadly comical, but it still happens. There just isn't much in the collegiate game to deter against it in either baseball or football. In the Pro's these players are valued commodities who have vast resources tied towards them. In the collegiate world they are simply 3-4 year free rentals.

Another thing to consider for next year's draft is the quality of RB that could potentially be in it. For example, Todd Gurley, TJ Yeldon, Keith Marshall, and many other RB's could potentially be in the draft compared to this year where Tre will probably be first or second taken off of the board.

I think Tre wants the Heisman. Next year it could easily be his.

This is my thought. He was off the radar to start this year. Hopefully he gets an invite to NYC, but I think everyone would agree it's Winston's. Next year, I think both he and Marshall start the season on everyone's watch list. He also looks like he's having the time of his life...I don't know, I've not heard anything from him about wanting to bolt, but I've not been looking either. I guess it will depend on what the draft board says they think he will go at.

I think Tre wants the Heisman. Next year it could easily be his.

I hate being the bearer of bad news, but this entire "come back for the Heisman" theory is so farfetched it is almost laughable to bring up as a serious argument. Since 2000 only 2 runningbacks have won the Heisman, and only one of those was a legitimate win seeing as Ingram had absolutely no business winning it in 2009. The award is entirely too dependent on team success, and since we already made the title game this season the same outcome would have to be repeated or bested next season just for him to be in discussion.

The Heisman has turned into the award given to the best QB on one of the top teams in the country. Coming back as a RB to "win the Heisman" is simply far too naive.

Hearing that G-Rob will likely go pro. Saying he is projected at a 1st rounder. He's more likely to do so than Tre

I am not hearing this. He is a sophomore!!!! It would be a bloody shame for him to go pro too soon. Just like the bammer O'liners who stayed for their junior year, he will grow and mature. We need to urge him to use his good sense and stay.

It is true though. Robinson is the biggest threat out of anyone to leave early. I would love for all these guys to stay but I'm more concerned about what is best for them and NOT what Auburn fans want.

What is BEST for the players does NOT always revolve around money or selling your soul to the NFL. Coming back to Auburn for a senior year would be what is best for Tre. Robinson should stay for his four years. You only get to do this once. They should treasure it.

" It would be a mistake for him to return "......................... Ridiculous . <_<

From a personal/future standpoint? Absolutely a mistake. He has nothing left to prove by coming back. His production against top teams this season is insane (stat I saw last night said 195 ypg against four Top 10 opponents). He has proven that he can carry the ball 25+ a game and not wear down or tire. He has proven that he can take hits and stay healthy. He has proven that he can run between the tackles and shed tackles. He has proven that he can fall forward for extra yards and move piles for first downs. He has proven that he has a nose for the endzone. s***, he has even proven that he can return kicks if need be.

Coming back to win a Heisman is admirable but the odds would absolutely be stacked against him. To realistically improve his draft stock enough to make it worthwhile risking injury and/or a down season he would need to come back running a 4.3 next season or come back at 215-220 pounds while maintaining the same speed he's shown this year. Neither of those is happening because he is pretty much peaked physically.

Why come back and use up one of your peak healthy years running for free when he can be doing the same thing for significant money in the NFL? Coming back to break records, or to attempt to win a Heisman are novelty influences.

Archived