2015 4* LB Darrell Williams commits to AU!

EagleDamnWar

I don't recall a player that was actively recruiting for us flipping. Some that commit and then stay in the corner, not helping and having little or no contact with their fellow recruits are cause for worry. Call it social media, texting, twitter, whatever, they all use these things to a large extent.

Of course Rueben Foster getting an Auburn tattoo then flipping is one for the ages. Epic.

• Replies 557
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't recall a player that was actively recruiting for us flipping. Some that commit and then stay in the corner, not helping and having little or no contact with their fellow recruits are cause for worry. Call it social media, texting, twitter, whatever, they all use these things to a large extent.

I don't know....ole Reuben got an AU tat and still flipped....seems getting a tat is even more of an endorsement than some kind of social media commentary. On the other side however, kids that commit to AU and yet spend their weekends in T-town are what i would call "high risk"....or in the parlance of the game....a "soft commit".

Opps...Nuck beat me to it...but...

I agree with the sentiment but your statement can't be that matter of fact in today's world. Roc was our highest rated recruit and kept to himself. He did as little recruiting of others as he could get by with. Not bc he wasn't solid to AU but bc it just isn't his personality. I'm fairly certain nobody wishes he would have moved on and gone elsewhere.

I don't know....ole Reuben got an AU tat and still flipped....seems getting a tat is even more of an endorsement than some kind of social media commentary. On the other side however, kids that commit to AU and yet spend their weekends in T-town are what i would call "high risk"....or in the parlance of the game....a "soft commit".

Time to call it quits on Reuben, tat or no tat. He committed to Trooper, not Auburn.

Time to call it quits on Reuben, tat or no tat. He committed to Trooper, not Auburn.

:

100% truth to the last statement.

:

Not enough committed to end up at Arky State though...yet. :)

:

And he is still there!

:

If Trooper had taken the Ark State job when it was time for Reuben to sign he would have followed him to ASU. But Trooper sat out a year and drew his AU salary (probably the worst $$$$ AU has ever spent) so Reuben had to got to bama (because it's a business decision & they gonna take care my family). ^-^

:

If Trooper had taken the Ark State job when it was time for Reuben to sign he would have followed him to ASU. But Trooper sat out a year and drew his AU salary (probably the worst $$$$ AU has ever spent) so Reuben had to got to bama (because it's a business decision & they gonna take care my family). ^-^

Allow me to disagree. I seriously doubt Reuban would have gone to Ark St following Trooper. I am not sure what the future holds for Reuban, and I really have not followed how he is doing at Bama, but I am certain he has aspirations of going to the NFL. With offers like, Bama, AU and UGA, you do not go to Ark St when you have higher aspiriations.

:

Not enough committed to end up at Arky State though...yet. :)/>

If Trooper had taken the Ark State job when it was time for Reuben to sign he would have followed him to ASU. But Trooper sat out a year and drew his AU salary (probably the worst $$$$ AU has ever spent) so Reuben had to got to bama (because it's a business decision & they gonna take care my family). ^-^/>

I refuse to believe Reuben would have followed Trooper to Arky State. It is absurd to think that.

I would modify last remark by saying R was committed to Auburn only while Trooper was still at AU.

I could see Reuben being committed to Trooper at Auburn. Auburn has a respectable program along with a recent NC. I don't think Reuben would follow him to Arky State though. What kind of business decision is that lol

I would modify last remark by saying R was committed to Auburn only while Trooper was still at AU.

This has been an interesting season so far for Hoover. They lost the first two games which they probably haven't lost back to back games in 10 years, most years they don't lose at all. But I'm am curious if DW is still doing well on the field. I have gone to two games and he did pretty well but not great. I couldn't find his stats for the year so far. Hoovers Defense is about all they hae going for them this year to this point.

This has been an interesting season so far for Hoover. They lost the first two games which they probably haven't lost back to back games in 10 years, most years they don't lose at all. But I'm am curious if DW is still doing well on the field. I have gone to two games and he did pretty well but not great. I couldn't find his stats for the year so far. Hoovers Defense is about all they hae going for them this year to this point.

He's doing descent. On another not. Even though Hoover lost it's first 2 games both were out of state so their in state streak is still in tact and over 30 now.

He's doing descent. On another not. Even though Hoover lost it's first 2 games both were out of state so their in state streak is still in tact and over 30 now.

Yes and the second lose was to their old coach Rush Probst at Colquitt County in Ga. he may not be a great guy but the dude can coach.

With his head coach a UAT grad, I wonder if Darrell will stick to his commitment to Auburn or will his coach try to get him to flip on signing day or at some other time.

With his head coach a UAT grad, I wonder if Darrell will stick to his commitment to Auburn or will his coach try to get him to flip on signing day or at some other time.

It will not matter if DW does not have a Bama offer he can commit to, which is the case right now.

It will not matter if DW does not have a Bama offer he can commit to, which is the case right now.

You would think these kids would realize what's going on when it comes to that university. Maybe next time he visits AU, Rudy can give him some info on how not to be hypnotized by those crooks at west vance

Some confusing quotes from Darrell in this article by John Talty. I guess it's good for us?

:dunno:

HOOVER, Alabama -- Alabama has worked hard to stay in the mixwith Hoover four-star linebacker Darrell Williams, but it still has ground to make up with an important person in his life: His mom.

Williams, who committed to Auburn this summer, says the Tigers have done a better job establishing a relationship with his mother.

"I grew up an Alabama fan and my family grew up Alabama fans, but that's really what brought my mom to like Auburn more, because of how the coaches interact with her and how the wives interact with her," Williams says. "Alabama, she feels like they don't talk to her as much. That's kind of bad for them, that's holding them back a bit. You want the mom and the player to be on one accord. You are recruiting both people.

At the end of the day, it's my decision, but I want my mom to feel comfortable. That's a big deal."

His mother has accompanied him on a few of his visits and pays close attention to how the coaches treat her son. Williams, ranked No. 4 on AL.com's A-List, previously told AL.com that Alabama was the school recruiting him the hardest. Alabama coaches intensified their recruiting efforts of the Hoover linebacker after he committed to Auburn, and have gotten him to take multiple visits to Tuscaloosa.

Auburn, however, doesn't bring up the fact its in-state rival is still heavily recruiting one of its top in-state commits. It just focuses on its own recruiting pitch, and Williams seems to appreciate that. He told a group of reporters Thursday that Auburn was pulling away from Alabama in the in-state recruiting battle.

"They don't bring it up," Williams says. "If I was a coach, I wouldn't bring it up. I'd work to keep me locked in on their school. They shouldn't have any worries, if I was a coach I wouldn't worry, it's just a kid getting recruited. Just let them do what he's got to do, he's committed to you."

Williams plans on making a return trip to the Plains this weekend to watch Auburn face LSU. He might take another unofficial visit to Alabama on Oct. 18 for the Texas A&M game and will definitely be back in Tuscaloosa for the Iron Bowl. He might even take his official visit during the biggest football weekend in the state of Alabama.

"It'd be kind of weird, though, I'd take it," he says.

Both Oklahoma and Auburn want him to take his official visits after the football season.

ETA: I just read some other quotes from DW elsewhere that lead me to believe we're in good shape with him. The weirdness of the above quotes I attribute to the writer of the article, who didn't do a good job of providing context, not to DW.

Gotta wonder what' going on with his recruitment...not much mention about him on the AU side....but of course the guys on al.com seem much more interested in how he is getting along with Bama...and what it will take for him to sign there....like maybe a real offer?

I understand he is just an 18 year old but the last two major articles make him sound like a guy who is trying to cover his bases....keeping a good relationship with AU but would prefer to go to bama if he gets the offer. We may end of signing him...but if so, I still think we are his second choice....which once he is on the field is irrelevant ...but right now, it's bothersome.

I still don't feel comfortable with him because of the number of trips he keeps making to Tuskaloser. Some people who claim to have such information say that Williams does not have a committable offer from UAT at this time. Should that be true, there's no telling what changes may or may not happen if he does get that offer.

Like I said in my edit, I read some other quotes elsewhere that add a lot of context to what I posted above. My interpretation is that, although he grew up a Bama fan, both he and his family (mom, especially) now feel more for Auburn. It would be "kinda weird" for him to take an OV to Bama for the Iron Bowl because of his new allegiance to Auburn. That's just my interpretation, so TIFWIW. I think the al.com stories are intentionally trying to stir the pot.

Archived