2016 3* RB Jalin Buie

EagleDamnWar

Grave must have read my mind with his reply. Well done. That is almost word for word the way I would have responded.

5'8" may be on the program but I'm not buying it. I didn't say he wouldn't be effective in our O. I said I thought he would be a better fit in Oregon's. I'm glad to have the young man.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If/when he grows 2 inches and gains 20 pounds he will likely be considered more than a scat back. Normally high school stats throw an extra 10 pounds and an inch on players so I'm assuming he is actually a bit smaller than what is listed. Never met the kid so this is only an assumption.

It is true that a player cannot be defined by his measurables. Tre proved this. But I think we'd all agree that Tre was special. This kid may be too, but as a sophomore I don't think that judgement can be made. I'd also say that as a sophomore you probably can't say what type of RB he will turn out to be.

I agree that whatever type of RB he turned out to be Gus would use him in a way that would best compliment his skills.

I was simply stating that a sub 5'10" sub 200 pound RB would be better suited to Oregons offense than ours. Which I think most would agree with right?

I honestly think that we will see us take a guy like this every year. 2014 - Truitt, 2015 - IYAM, Trayvon Samuel @ Central HS Phenix City, AL, 2016 - Buie. Certainly not all of them are going to be the next O'Mac/Grant/Mason. But if just 1/2 of them pan out you have a two deep weapon with speed and elusivness, in a player that can be hard to spot when the QB has good ball skills and with the matchups we create. When a defender is fighting a blocker and the back gets behind some big OL guys, they can get past you before you even see them.

• 4 months later...
  • 8 months later...

Normally when coaches slow down or cut off contact the message to the recruit is "better be looking around". I have no clue if that's the case with Buie or not but were I in his shoes I'd be checking out some other schools.

Also, thanks to al.com for another article that does Auburn no favors. I seldom click on their links any more and this is a perfect example of why.

I don't understand why Gus accepted his commitment so early in the process when he knew other RBs were higher priority. Unless he was trying to sell a Trinity Christian pipeline with Jeff Holland, Norton, and others.

The commit was a surprise to coaches... Think it will stand though.

And there you have it. I've reviewed this entire thread and didn't see any announcement that his commitment had been "officially" accepted. Anyone could publicly commit today. That doesn't mean a place has been saved for them.

On the other hand, I didn't see where his commitment was denied. It looks like we said little to nothing, which leaves our recruiters in the best of both worlds. If we want him, he's committed and if not, we are not committed.

I don't understand why Gus accepted his commitment so early in the process when he knew other RBs were higher priority. Unless he was trying to sell a Trinity Christian pipeline with Jeff Holland, Norton, and others.

I don't think he did. I think Buie committed without talking to the coaches.

Not only that but this kid's a 2016-er, and is confused as to why we put more focus on 2015 guys with 1-2 weeks left til signing day? Am I the only one going "durrrrrr" here? :dunno:

Some of these kids either don't understand a contingent or committable offer or else could be just playing games. Most of you probably understand the recruiting process a lot better than I do. But it just doesn't make sense to hand out hundreds of verbal offers many of which would have almost zero chance of ever becoming committable. I know it helps kids in the quest to get a real offer from a big-time program. No harm no foul most of the time. But every once in a while a kid commits without talking to the coaches and it sometimes ends up a little embarrassing to one of both parties. Usually ends up with a mutual parting or decommittment somewhere along the way. Never seems puts the institution in a postive light especially Auburn.

Not only that but this kid's a 2016-er, and is confused as to why we put more focus on 2015 guys with 1-2 weeks left til signing day? Am I the only one going "durrrrrr" here? :dunno:/>

That was a bit of a head scratcher for me too.

Or visiting the campus???

Archived