"Jaylon Denson Likely Targeting Summer Return"

Elephant Tipper

http://www.al.com/auburnfootball/index.ssf/2014/01/auburn_receiver_jaylon_denson_1.html

14081645-mmmain.jpg

Auburn receiver Jaylon Denson likely targeting summer return; has applied for medical redshirt

AUBURN, Alabama -- Jaylon Denson felt like he was on the verge.

Denson, a key leader for Auburn's wide receiving corps, had emerged as the Tigers' most reliable big receiver, playing the "5" role and logging plenty of snaps in the early portion of the season.

Then it happened. Deep in the secondary on a wet night in Death Valley, Denson twisted on the turf trying to get back to the football and tore his patellar tendon, ending his junior season prematurely.

"I don't know, I can't really describe it," Denson said. "It was a killer feeling."

Denson, understandably frustrated in the immediate aftermath of the injury, underwent surgery and began the rehabilitation process.

"The beginning, that's the toughest part. Once you get past that, it's smooth sailing," Denson said. "Breaking down a lot of that scar tissue. Moving it around made it hurt."

Fighting through that was no easy task, but Denson kept going.

"It's going good, it's starting to get a lot better now," Denson said. "The dark days are pretty much over."

Once the scar tissue broke up, though, Denson started making consistent progress, to the point where he was recently able to start jogging, targeting a return in the late spring, early fall.

Denson has an outside chance to make it back for part of spring practice, but he's not going to risk re-injuring the knee, making a full spring return unlikely.

"I probably won't do it," Denson said, "just because it's a risk I don't have to take."

Denson's focus is all on next season. After playing in three games and the first quarter of the fourth, Denson, a junior last season, has applied for a medical redshirt. According to NCAA Bylaw 14.2.4, a football player is eligible for a medical redshirt if he participates in fewer than 30 percent of his team's contests. At four games, Denson would have participated in 28.6 percent of Auburn's 14 games.

The NCAA typically doesn't rule on medical redshirts until much later in the offseason.

Once Denson returns, he joins an Auburn wide receiver group that loses no one and has already been bolstered by the addition of D'haquille Williams and Stanton Truitt, along with committed receiver Myron Burton.

Denson, who caught three passes for 45 yards before the injury, says has one simple goal once he returns to the field.

"Pick up where I left off."

http://www.al.com/au...n_denson_1.html

14081645-mmmain.jpg

Auburn receiver Jaylon Denson likely targeting summer return; has applied for medical redshirt

AUBURN, Alabama -- Jaylon Denson felt like he was on the verge.

Denson, a key leader for Auburn's wide receiving corps, had emerged as the Tigers' most reliable big receiver, playing the "5" role and logging plenty of snaps in the early portion of the season.

Then it happened. Deep in the secondary on a wet night in Death Valley, Denson twisted on the turf trying to get back to the football and tore his patellar tendon, ending his junior season prematurely.

"I don't know, I can't really describe it," Denson said. "It was a killer feeling."

Denson, understandably frustrated in the immediate aftermath of the injury, underwent surgery and began the rehabilitation process.

"The beginning, that's the toughest part. Once you get past that, it's smooth sailing," Denson said. "Breaking down a lot of that scar tissue. Moving it around made it hurt."

Fighting through that was no easy task, but Denson kept going.

"It's going good, it's starting to get a lot better now," Denson said. "The dark days are pretty much over."

Once the scar tissue broke up, though, Denson started making consistent progress, to the point where he was recently able to start jogging, targeting a return in the late spring, early fall.

Denson has an outside chance to make it back for part of spring practice, but he's not going to risk re-injuring the knee, making a full spring return unlikely.

"I probably won't do it," Denson said, "just because it's a risk I don't have to take."

Denson's focus is all on next season. After playing in three games and the first quarter of the fourth, Denson, a junior last season, has applied for a medical redshirt. According to NCAA Bylaw 14.2.4, a football player is eligible for a medical redshirt if he participates in fewer than 30 percent of his team's contests. At four games, Denson would have participated in 28.6 percent of Auburn's 14 games.

The NCAA typically doesn't rule on medical redshirts until much later in the offseason.

Once Denson returns, he joins an Auburn wide receiver group that loses no one and has already been bolstered by the addition of D'haquille Williams and Stanton Truitt, along with committed receiver Myron Burton.

Denson, who caught three passes for 45 yards before the injury, says has one simple goal once he returns to the field.

"Pick up where I left off."

EDIT: Must have picked up a virus from BamaGrad03. Computer posted this thread a "second" time.

According to NCAA Bylaw 14.2.4, a football player is eligible for a medical redshirt if he participates in fewer than 30 percent of his team's contests. At four games, Denson would have participated in 28.6 percent of Auburn's 14 games.

It's a good thing we played in 14 games, or it would have been 30.8%. :bananadance:

According to NCAA Bylaw 14.2.4, a football player is eligible for a medical redshirt if he participates in fewer than 30 percent of his team's contests. At four games, Denson would have participated in 28.6 percent of Auburn's 14 games.

It's a good thing we played in 14 games, or it would have been 30.8%. :bananadance:/>

I think this was the main reason we wanted to make the Natty.

*rolls eyes*

It's a good thing we played in 14 games, or it would have been 30.8%. :bananadance:/>

I think this was the main reason we wanted to make the Natty.

*rolls eyes*

SECCG was actually the extra game, just saying :bananadance:

• 11 months later...

As far as I can tell Jaylon didn't play in 2014 and he has never redshirted. He did receive an additional year of eligibility due to his knee injury in 2013. Does anyone know if 2014 will be a redshirt year and give Jaylon 2 more years of eligibility?

Thought he was going to play this year but .....don't think he made the field. We sure missed his blocking on the ends...could have been a big help on those quick outs that were all too often nailed for losses. If he is healthy next season there should be room for him to get some playing time.

I think he did get on the field. I saw him out there a few times, I would almost bet on it

*I do have a shifty memory sometimes LOL

We have a few players who have been on the team for four years and barely seen the field. You have to wonder if they will be back for their 5th year, especially if they have graduated already.

I'm going to read the dates on the articles for now on. Not really sure it was necessary to wipe the dust off this article but oh well. Jaylon did play some on special teams this past year. Next year he will have a better opportunity to get playing time.

Jaylon played Special Teams in every game. He had very limited time at WR with zero receptions.

Except for playing every game, he hardly played at all.

True...but don't think he went to AU to try and track down a bunch of speedy KO return guys.

Before his injury he was a decent receiver but more important in my view at least, he could block on the ends without holding half the time. That was a major weakness in our running game, especially the fly-sweep.

Archived