Bruce Pearl Discussion

CameronCrazy

http://mweb.cbssports.com/ncaab/eye-on-college-basketball/23250390/which-school-with-a-vision-will-hire-bruce-pearl-next-year

Let me start out by saying that I whole-heartedly believe in honor, integrity, and running a good, honest, clean program. But I'm also for second chances. If our university didn't believe in second chances, then we wouldn't have won a National Chamoionship in 2010 or played in another one this year. Bruce Pearl's punishment was way too severe in my book when you consider what other coaches and programs have done. Did he lie to the NCAA? Yes. But did he call them back and tell them that he had lied? Yes. Did he take full responsibility and accountability for his actions? Yes. Auburn would be LUCKY to hire a coach like Bruce Pearl. He would bring instant energy and excitement to a dead program. All we need to attract him here is an athletic department that is committed to winning in basketball. We have dedicated students and fans that would support a winner.

But that brings us to the bigger question. Do we have a vision for our basketball program? Or did we just build a 92 million dollar arena for nothing? Is our compliance department going to do more to hinder a Bruce Pearl than help him succeed?

I guarantee you that he would solve the issue of Under Armour vs Nike. I guarantee you that he would get in the door of these camps and gyms where Auburn has supposedly not been welcomed. I believe his energy and name would give us instant credibility in the eyes of recruits and AAU coaches across the country. He worked for ESPN, so he would give us instant credibility with the media.

He took Tenessee to the tournament in all six years of his time in Knoxville. I believe he's a changed man. I believe he would come back with more passion than ever. I believe that he would come back on a mission to restore his legacy. But the question remains, "do we have the vision and the fortitude to hire a Bruce Pearl?" Because if we don't hire him, then I guarantee you another program with a vision will.

• Replies 521
  • Created
  • Last Reply

http://mweb.cbssport...pearl-next-year

Let me start out by saying that I whole-heartedly believe in honor, integrity, and running a good, honest, clean program. But I'm also for second chances. If our university didn't believe in second chances, then we wouldn't have won a National Chamoionship in 2010 or played in another one this year. Bruce Pearl's punishment was way too severe in my book when you consider what other coaches and programs have done. Did he lie to the NCAA? Yes. But did he call them back and tell them that he had lied? Yes. Did he take full responsibility and accountability for his actions? Yes. Auburn would be LUCKY to hire a coach like Bruce Pearl. He would bring instant energy and excitement to a dead program. All we need to attract him here is an athletic department that is committed to winning in basketball. We have dedicated students and fans that would support a winner.

But that brings us to the bigger question. Do we have a vision for our basketball program? Or did we just build a 92 million dollar arena for nothing? Is our compliance department going to do more to hinder a Bruce Pearl than help him succeed?

I guarantee you that he would solve the issue of Under Armour vs Nike.

What issue? We have a contract with Under Armour and he would have zero control over changing that. It's a contract that covers all Auburn athletics and there's no issue here to solve.

I guarantee you that he would get in the door of these camps and gyms where Auburn has supposedly not been welcomed.

MASSIVE speculation and there's only one AAU program that Auburn doesn't associate with and its an AUBURN decision not the individual program. No coach will change that, its the AD and likely the BOT that would have to change that. There's certainly no "guarantee" by any stretch.

I believe his energy and name would give us instant credibility in the eyes of recruits and AAU coaches across the country. He worked for ESPN, so he would give us instant credibility with the media.

This could be true, but we are talking about ESPN here. For whatever reason they don't seem to paint us in a very positive light very often.

He took Tenessee to the tournament in all six years of his time in Knoxville. I believe he's a changed man. I believe he would come back with more passion than ever. I believe that he would come back on a mission to restore his legacy.

Pretty solid coach, but what gives you this belief that he's a "changed man"? Have you talked to him? I don't doubt there's probably something inside him that may make him want to prove that and restore his integrity, IF he even wants to coach anymore.

But the question remains, "do we have the vision and the fortitude to hire a Bruce Pearl?" Because if we don't hire him, then I guarantee you another program with a vision will.

Another guarantee. You sure deal in a lot of absolutes. Did it ever occur to you that Pearl may not want to get back into coaching?

Let some other program with "vision" hire Pearl. We're due to find an up and comer that will win here and build a good program. There are winning basketball programs around the country with much better excuses to fail than Auburn, yet they are consistently in the Big Dance. A good search will produce one of those coaches and Pearl with his NCAA baggage can land elsewhere.

Where does a "good search" originate?

I have no reason to believe that our AD leadership is capable of such a thing.

He has hired previous Coordinators for FB, but has not been able to successfully hire someone without previous AU connections.

I like the idea of having Barkley and Persons leading a search committee, but can only hope.

After a decade, or more, of poor hard court decisions, I have my doubts.

Pearl built a solid program at Tenn, while he was there. He lied about having players over for a BBQ. Hire the guy NOW!!!!!! We need someone that can bring some credibility to the program because there is none at the moment. I would also be in favor of hiring the guy at SMU Larry Brown may be his name. He is a nomadic coach and would probably only be around a few years regardless of his level of success, but I think a name like that could potentially make our Bball program credible in players eyes. Besides what the heck do we have to lose?

I agree we would be beyond lucky to hire Pearl if/when we let CTB go, but I doubt he would come. How can Auburn be viewed as anything but a coaching graveyard now?

Yeah I should clarify that I don't actually believe the type of coach I am referring to would come to AU, that's just what I view us as needing.

I agree we should hire Pearl. We tried the up and comer(Barbee) and it didn't work at all. Time to go get someone that will completely change the program.

He has hired previous Coordinators for FB, but has not been able to successfully hire someone without previous AU connections.

I like the idea of having Barkley and Persons leading a search committee, but can only hope.

Mac Crawford, Pat Sullivan and Bo Jackson selected Gus. Roughly the same setup is available to us in basketball. Like football's Crawford, John Mengelt is the highly successful head of an executive search firm. Fill in the other two with Barkley, Chuck Person or whatever former BB players are willing and able. Maybe let Sonny Smith or Joe Champi replace one of either Barkley or Person? We have the resources on hand to make a great selection. All we now need is the guts to use those resources.

Also, if such a group came up with Bruce Pearl, I wouldn't like their choice but I'd get behind it 100% and look at the positives.

Mac Crawford, Pat Sullivan and Bo Jackson selected Gus. Roughly the same setup is available to us in basketball. Like football's Crawford, John Mengelt is the highly successful head of an executive search firm. Fill in the other two with Barkley, Chuck Person or whatever former BB players are willing and able. Maybe let Sonny Smith or Joe Champi replace one of either Barkley or Person? We have the resources on hand to make a great selection. All we now need is the guts to use those resources.

Also, if such a group came up with Bruce Pearl, I wouldn't like their choice but I'd get behind it 100% and look at the positives.

Good post, Mikey.

Let some other program with "vision" hire Pearl. We're due to find an up and comer that will win here and build a good program. There are winning basketball programs around the country with much better excuses to fail than Auburn, yet they are consistently in the Big Dance. A good search will produce one of those coaches and Pearl with his NCAA baggage can land elsewhere.

The big "up and comer" hire was SUPPOSED to be Barbee. Get someone proven.

The big "up and comer" hire was SUPPOSED to be Barbee. Get someone proven.

Well then who, exactly, do you suggest? Steal Coach K. away from Duke? Please don't include Pearl in your suggestions, lets stick to someone that's not going to have the NCAA looking over our shoulder every step of the way.

I wish there was another up-and-coming head coach that we could grab, but I just don't know who that would be. If you look at K's bench assistants, you realize that not everyone of those guys are going to get the job after he's gone. So you eliminate the most likely candidate and you go after the other guys. The thing is, I don't think they leave Duke's bench to come coach at Auburn. So who else do you get?

As much as I like Charles Barkley, he's already gone public stating that Tony Barbee will turn the program around---he said that before this season started, if I recall correctly. So, Barkley may or may not be the best choice. Also, if I recall correctly, Person interviewed when AU hired Barbee. He was an assistant with the Lakers at the time and reportedly stated that AU would be the only college he would consider coaching for since he's an alum. He's never had college experience, other than as a player. Would AU want to take that risk? He was certainly a great player for AU.

As for Bruce Pearl---I would love to see him coach at AU, but I think there's too many fans out there who would be just absolutely devastated if AU hired him and the clamor would be deafening. It's great that we all love and honor Pat Dye, and even have the football field named after him. But, let's not forget---AU got in NCAA trouble under Pat Dye. He had to step down because of it. i say this and I will say this: despite what happened to Dye with the NCAA, I think he's the one responsible for AU being on a level playing field with that team in West Vance and deserves all the praise he gets. But, I wonder how many of the people who are so opposed to Bruce Pearl feel the way I do about Pay Dye.

He would not come to AU, he has stated that he would not go to another SEC school. If they do not change coaches this year they wasted $92 mil. Could have made JH much better. I had scholly BB tickets until this year. Will not buy them again until something changes.

It would be quite the sight to see the AU fan base bring a "deafening clamor" regarding anything related to the BBall program lol

Reading the article, I like that he wants a program that wants to be great. Having been caught in a lie and cover up, I too think he will not falter again. A search committee is fine but I would hope Pearl is considered. What top successful coach is going to come to Auburn with our recent bball history? This is an opportunity for both sides.

Lot of "stone casters" around here.

After I get caught breaking NCAA rules and lying to them about it I'll move out of my glass house. Until that happens......

I would welcome Pearl as our coach, but it won't hurt my feelings if it's not him. I think he proved with Tennessee that a football school could be relevant and successful at BB. I am not aware of anyone else that has that proven track record.

I'm impressed that there are so many here that have lived mistake and bad decision free lives.

Difference being that I'm not applying for the head basketball coaching position at AU. If I did apply you wouldn't find a case against me for cheating competitors and lying to my bosses about it.

You think the guy the Celtics hired away from Butler is sick of the NBA yet? :dunno:

No. The Celtics are stockpiling draft picks so they are in rebuilding mode, plus they are a well-run franchise so I doubt he would want to leave. I would be all for hiring Pearl. This isn't a Bobby Petrino situation where he had a history of being a low-life. Pearl made an honest mistake, and assuming he would want to get back into coaching, a place like Auburn would be a perfect place for him to get a second chance. The problem with Auburn basketball has been quite simply we have not gotten the players, and Pearl would be a head-turning hiring that would get some big-time players thinking about Auburn.

Archived