Bruce Pearl Discussion

CameronCrazy

My thought comes down to this. If we didn't have the history of what Cliff Ellis left behind then taking a chance on Pearl would not bother me as it does. He screws up again not only is he done but Auburn is really in a deep hole then. The program essentially already has a foot on the banana peel now. If JJ did offer it to him and he accepted I would certainly get in behind him and hope he succeeds.

• Replies 521
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Unless we get a very well-known coach with an incredible resume, our next coach will most likely have the same issues getting SEC talent to AU.

Barbee has brought SEC level talent to Auburn. The problem is they left after one year. That has nothing to do with the AAU, shoe companies or other excuses.

He's brought in a few SEC guards in 4 seasons and a couple of swing guys that didn't last long, but by and large the talent level has been below even many mid-majors. We simply don't have the talent to compete.

I disagree simply because competing - in the sense of finishing in the top 1/3 to 1/2 - in the SEC doesn't take much talent due to how average to bad our league is most years. Look at UGA... they finished with a 12-6 record (yes I know we beat them but that was probably just an off night) and they don't have superior talent.

I believe the problem lies more with this staff's inability to retain talented players and developing the ones we do keep. That and in game strategy is average at best

Dave Didion, who was the NCAA compliance officer who worked the Pearl case at Tennessee, is now a member of Auburn's compliance staff. If Pearl is getting serious consideration or ends up being hired, you'd have to feel pretty good about us knowing the inside details of the case before making such a decision. As tight as our compliance people have been on basketball, they won't let him through unless they feel good about it.

We desperately need someone who has a proven record, a dynamic personality to recruit players and keep them here, as well as to fire up the fan base, and someone who knows what it takes to compete in the SEC. Tony Barbee didn't have any of these qualities. Bruce Pearl has all of them.

We desperately need someone who has a proven record, a dynamic personality to recruit players and keep them here, as well as to fire up the fan base, and someone who knows what it takes to compete in the SEC. Tony Barbee didn't have any of these qualities. Bruce Pearl has all of them.

I agree. He would take AU BB to the next level. I think our compliance team would ensure he stayed clean.

Dave Didion, who was the NCAA compliance officer who worked the Pearl case at Tennessee, is now a member of Auburn's compliance staff. If Pearl is getting serious consideration or ends up being hired, you'd have to feel pretty good about us knowing the inside details of the case before making such a decision. As tight as our compliance people have been on basketball, they won't let him through unless they feel good about it.

Are you steele4au from ITAT or do you have an account there? What you just posted is very similar to what he posted on ITAT

wde

Didn't Pearl lie to Didion during that investigation? If so, I can not imagine Didion giving any positive feedback.

I'm going to enjoy dreaming about BP getting the AU job, until it doesn't happen and we hire a coach that I have to google.

Bruce Pearl may not want to work at an institution with Dave Didion since he was involved in having him purged from Tennessee. Could be some hard feelings there.

Are you steele4au from ITAT or do you have an account there? What you just posted is very similar to what he posted on ITAT

wde

Nope, not me.

The ONLY way we EVER attract a proven bb coach is if there is one available with some warts that is still viable. This is our one and ONLY shot EVER at a proven coach. We are in a deep hole and the only way out is to take drastic measures.

Lurking on some of the Bama boards, their biggest worry right now is that they'll hold on to Grant another year and we'll scoop up Pearl or that we'll snatch him up quickly before a decision on Grant is made.

Didn't Pearl lie to Didion during that investigation? If so, I can not imagine Didion giving any positive feedback.

AU compliance staff is like the KGB. And if they STILL have an embargo on Komara and his players, then the addition of Dave Didion to the staff would not bode well for a coach Didion put a "show-cause" label on.....

I'm sad about this, I think Bruce is the powerful elixir AU baskeball needs.

Didion knows who signs his paycheck and I'm guessing he and Pearly could put their big boy pants on and move on...if motivated. Having said that, I agree Pearl's the best immediately available candidate likely to make a relatively quick, significant program turnaround in AU basetball. We're actually scary similar to UT when UT hired him. I'm just not agreeing I want my alma mater to become known as "Halfway House U". We've already headed down that road a lot recently...to our short term betterment...in football. Pearl seems contrite and he's been absolutely brutalized in the media the last couple years for a rather severe-based-on-the-first-time-offense punishment. Understanding he's not exactly hurting for cash, where does he go to get his deservedly tarnished reputation back any time soon? And AU's reputation with him if we hire him?

A MATCH MADE FOR EACH OTHER WE NEED BRUCE AND HE NEEDS US.LETS MAKE IT HAPPEN! WHAT DO WE HAVE TO LOSE! ALREADY AT THE BOTTOM COULDNT GET ANY MORE PATHATIC . :wareagle: :wareagle: :wareagle: :wareagle:

Didion knows who signs his paycheck and I'm guessing he and Pearly could put their big boy pants on and move on...if motivated. Having said that, I agree Pearl's the best immediately available candidate likely to make a relatively quick, significant program turnaround in AU basetball. We're actually scary similar to UT when UT hired him. I'm just not agreeing I want my alma mater to become known as "Halfway House U". We've already headed down that road a lot recently...to our short term betterment...in football. Pearl seems contrite and he's been absolutely brutalized in the media the last couple years for a rather severe-based-on-the-first-time-offense punishment. Understanding he's not exactly hurting for cash, where does he go to get his deservedly tarnished reputation back any time soon? And AU's reputation with him if we hire him?

Bruce doesn't have to cow tow down to Didion and the rest of AU compliance. The whole country knows what Bruce brings to the table, he will get a job and not have to work for the guy that put him in NCAA purgatorty for 2-3 years.

I will say Bruce looks damn good painted in ORANGE head to toe and I'd love to see him coming out in the Arena like a mad man. :cool:

AU compliance staff is like the KGB. And if they STILL have an embargo on Komara and his players, then the addition of Dave Didion to the staff would not bode well for a coach Didion put a "show-cause" label on.....

The fact that the AU compliance staff allowed Trooper Taylor to be hired and retained on the football staff until 2012 shows they aren't close to KGB. I do believe AU compliance towards basketball is more hard @$$ due to the simple fact that if basketball gets put under the NCAA spotlight, so will football and there is no need to AU basketball to cause problems for AU football. That being posted, the NCAA is totally toothless at this time and we could hire Bruce Pearl as HC with Tark the Shark ,Cliff Ellis and Calipari as his assistants and still not get a sniff.

wde

The fact that the AU compliance staff allowed Trooper Taylor to be hired and retained on the football staff until 2012 shows they aren't close to KGB. I do believe AU compliance towards basketball is more hard @$$ due to the simple fact that if basketball gets put under the NCAA spotlight, so will football and there is no need to AU basketball to cause problems for AU football. That being posted, the NCAA is totally toothless at this time and we could hire Bruce Pearl as HC with Tark the Shark ,Cliff Ellis and Calipari as his assistants and still not get a sniff.

wde

Trooper Taylor while somewhat sketchy, didn't carry a show-cause on his resume. Pearl's show-cause was handed down from the NCAA investigator that now draws his paycheck from Auburn University.

What NCAA violations were on Trooper Taylor's resume when we hired him? None. Pearl, however.....

Dont mean to hijack, but did Trooper get a job somewhere yet?

Last I heard he was still living off his AU dollah's.

wde

Trooper Taylor while somewhat sketchy, didn't carry a show-cause on his resume. Pearl's show-cause was handed down from the NCAA investigator that now draws his paycheck from Auburn University.

True. Now, if AU were to actually go after Pearl knowing that to be the case, wouldn't that lead one/you/us to believe that said NCAA investigator signed off on it.

wde

Archived