Bruce Pearl Discussion

CameronCrazy

That phone call story is crazy!!! :laugh:/> :laugh:/> He hates to lose I see...That does look pretty bad though.

But, if he had done that to an Alabama recruit, we'd all be singing his praises.

• Replies 521
  • Created
  • Last Reply

BP has about .001% chance of being asked to take the AU job...so we can beat the keyboards with justifications but IMO it's a waste of effort....and the Chuck Person thing has less than BP, as does Roy W and the big name coaches at the big name BB programs where their teams draw 15-20,000 for their home games and they don't interrupt their basketball games to make football awards...or where a few visiting football recruits get a bigger ovation than the basketball team.

So back to square one: Who is willing to coach at a school where their sport will ALWAYS be #2? And who is eager enough to build a reputation that he would take over a programs that seems to be circling the toilet bowl for the 3rd time?

And one last question ? What happens if we learn that this AU team has finally figured out how to win after losing some heartbreaking close games...and finishes the season with a strong push and wins most of its remaining SEC games?

Hopefully this year wont' mirror last year, when, after AU beat Alabama quite handily, they proceeded to go in the tank and lose all the rest of their SEC games---until this year, when they handiliy defeated Alabama. I guess we'll know something today against Georgia. If AU should end the season strong, then I believe Barbee will be back next year. If they do like last year, he's gone. I personally would like to see AU go after Bruce Pearl, despite the problem he created for himself at Tennessee. He's a damn good coach and can redruit better players than what we've seen lately. He's energetic and charismatic. Yes, I read where he cannot do in-home visits until August 2014, but that's where hiring a crackerjack staff comes in to play. And, the recruits can meet with him on campus. Also, some of these posts on Pearl have indicated multiple NCAA issues with him. I did a google search on him and only found the one issue at Tennessee, Can someone please tell me what the other issues were? If not Pearl, then who? An establised coach is not going to come to AU, unless AU were to throw a boatload of money at him. I don't think that's going to happen. An up-and-comer? Isn't that what AU has hired the last two times? I don't know if Pearl would even want to come to AU but wouldn't be surprised at all if he landed in Tuscaloosa (I think Grant's has worn out his welcome there). We might as well keep Barbee because I honestly don't think AU could hire anyone better.

What makes you say that? Barbee has presided over the two worst basketball seasons in AU history. Every person that ever coached at Auburn did better than Barbee. Throw a dart at a list of mid-level coaches and you'll land on one that will be better.

That phone call story is crazy!!! :laugh:/> :laugh:/> He hates to lose I see...That does look pretty bad though.

But, if he had done that to an Alabama recruit, we'd all be singing his praises.

Maybe. It turned out that there.was no evidence of improper benefits for Thomas. The investigation did uncover other violations though. I just don't like the idea of a coach doing that sort of thing. Makes him look like a sore loser.

Haha! True, though. Same with the Dabo situation. If he was an Auburn guy and made those type of comments after beating Bama it wouldn't be "classless", etc...

For the people who do NOT want Bruce Pearl, let me ask you a question... Would you hire Pete Carroll if Auburn had the opportunity to get him? What Pete Carroll was apart of was far worse then what Bruce Pearl did, and yet he was still hired by an NFL team and won them a Super Bowl. No, I don't support or agree with what either one of them did. But they are both fantastic coaches. And given an opportunity in the right environment, they can do great things!

No I wouldn't hire Carroll, even though he's a fine coach. His team put on a defensive show last night and i enjoyed watching every play of it. However, Auburn is in the sights of too many media types that would love to light us up. Since we're playing "what if" here I pass on Carroll and hire Bill Belichek instead. That way everybody is happy. :)

Didn't Pete C bug out from USCw about one step ahead of the NCAA? ...left the school and his successor to take the fall.

AU has been trying to shake off the stereotyped images of probation and NCAA violations for years now.....and yet some people are willing to put us back under the NCAA's magnifying glass? What's with people who want to flirt with NCAA problems by latching on to one of college sports half dozen tainted coaches... as if Auburn has no other options?

I guess these were the kids who when their momma told them the stove burner was hot...they had to reach up and touch it just to be sure.

Didn't Pete C bug out from USCw about one step ahead of the NCAA? ...left the school and his successor to take the fall.

AU has been trying to shake off the stereotyped images of probation and NCAA violations for years now.....and yet some people are willing to put us back under the NCAA's magnifying glass? What's with people who want to flirt with NCAA problems by latching on to one of college sports half dozen tainted coaches... as if Auburn has no other options?

I guess these were the kids who when their momma told them the stove burner was hot...they had to reach up and touch it just to be sure.

Exactly. We do have other options so we don't need to scrape the bottom of the garbage can when looking for a coach.

Exactly. We do have other options so we don't need to scrape the bottom of the garbage can when looking for a coach.

But wouldn't a box of cheese cake in the garbage be better than a pop tart from the pantry?

But wouldn't a box of cheese cake in the garbage be better than a pop tart from the pantry?

No, because cheesecake from the garbage can has slime all over it. AUBURN does not have to pick up other people's garbage or provide One Last Chance for the Pearls and Petrinos of the world. We can do better.

We can do better.

Can we?

Certainly. "He's the best we can do" is the excuse some were using to support hiring Petrino. It only took one season to put the lie to that one.

We can do better.

Can we?

Certainly. "He's the best we can do" is the excuse some were using to support hiring Petrino. It only took one season to put the lie to that one.

I thought you meant you had someone in mind.

We can do better.

Can we?

I thought you meant you had someone in mind.

No, but if it was my job and I was getting paid a six-figure salary you can bet I'd have a short list ready right now! :)

I Personally like Pearl. He is dynamic. The kids love him. He used to talk on Atlanta sports talk shows a lot and I understand his popularity. He can coach Basketball. I would love to have him, but AU has never made a big Basketball hire. AU does not seem like Basketball is a high priority. I doubt Pearl would even come if offered. I believe Pearl will have offers from schools that care more about the game.

Sorry for the negativity, but this is how I see this sport at AU.

I Personally like Pearl. He is dynamic. The kids love him. He used to talk on Atlanta sports talk shows a lot and I understand his popularity. He can coach Basketball. I would love to have him, but AU has never made a big Basketball hire. AU does not seem like Basketball is a high priority. I doubt Pearl would even come if offered. I believe Pearl will have offers from schools that care more about the game. and don's worry about what example they set for their students.

FTFY

Let's watch and see. Many folks were predicting that if we did not hire the other BP we would be making a big mistake and that he would end up at some other SEC school....and after he was ignored by a number of major schools he took the high profile job at at Western Kentucky....from whence he moved a few miles to Louisville ....a school that will hire about anyone. During the first BP's period of availability, schools all over the place hired new coaches but took a pass on Bobby.

I predict a similar path for the second BP.

I Personally like Pearl. He is dynamic. The kids love him. He used to talk on Atlanta sports talk shows a lot and I understand his popularity. He can coach Basketball. I would love to have him, but AU has never made a big Basketball hire. AU does not seem like Basketball is a high priority. I doubt Pearl would even come if offered. I believe Pearl will have offers from schools that care more about the game. and believe people can move on a rise above their mistakes..

FTFY

Let's watch and see. Many folks were predicting that if we did not hire the other BP we would be making a big mistake and that he would end up at some other SEC school....and after he was ignored by a number of major schools he took the high profile job at at Western Kentucky....from whence he moved a few miles to Louisville ....a school that will hire about anyone. During the first BP's period of availability, schools all over the place hired new coaches but took a pass on Bobby.

I predict a similar path for the second BP.

FIFY

The "turds" are wanting Bruce Pearl and you know they get whatever they want.

I really don't worry about what bama does .....and I certainly don't use bama as the measurement of ethical behavior that I expect out of Auburn. If they want him...good for them I say.

Great match, he'll fit right in with the rest of the crooks over there.

Awesome. Considering some of the clothes he wore at UT I fully expect the guy to wear a houndstooth jacket to a game. Maybe Saban will turn him on to his investment guy.

Have to say, I would find it pretty hilarious if the turds hired Pearl and he created a juggernaut over there, while we hired another "up and comer" that continued the fall of AU basketball. But hey, at least we would have another false sense of "at least we don't hire bad people" elitism while they win titles.

Seriously, I don't get this thread. Most of you are so adamant about not hiring Pearl because he is one step above satan, but when someone suggested hiring Laettner(sp?), you bucked that as well. Suggest somebody.

Have to say, I would find it pretty hilarious if the turds hired Pearl and he created a juggernaut over there, while we hired another "up and comer" that continued the fall of AU basketball. But hey, at least we would have another false sense of "at least we don't hire bad people" elitism while they win titles.

Seriously, I don't get this thread. Most of you are so adamant about not hiring Pearl because he is one step above satan, but when someone suggested hiring Laettner(sp?), you bucked that as well. Suggest somebody.

Yeah...we shoulda hired Petrino instead of that up and comer named Gus? And meanwhile, Bruce is the only (almost) available coach in college basketball that could win at AU? Some folks must make me wonder?

Gus wasn't an up and comer. Intelligent Auburn fans know that Gus was the brain behind our national championship season. Since I have now shot many holes in your argument, name somebody. Who would be a good coach to bring in? You love to shoot down others' suggestions, but fail to bring another name to the table. And I am not a huge Pearl fan, but I would love to see AU get back to good bball.

Archived