Bruce Pearl Discussion

CameronCrazy

I would support Bruce Pearl coaching our team. I think he would bring us to prominence and not straddle the NCAA line as far as infractions are concerned. He knows the next place he ends up at, could be his last if the NCAA came down on him.

• Replies 521
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gus wasn't an up and comer. Intelligent Auburn fans know that Gus was the brain behind our national championship season. Since I have now shot many holes in your argument, name somebody. Who would be a good coach to bring in? You love to shoot down others' suggestions, but fail to bring another name to the table. And I am not a huge Pearl fan, but I would love to see AU get back to good bball.

Gus was the very definition of an up and comer. Check his coaching experience. "Brains behind a national champion" could be claimed by any assistant coach, anywhere, that was on the staff of a championship team. That and a dollar will get you a cup of McDonald's coffee.

I'm not getting paid a six-figure salary to investigate prospective coaches and have a short list. Were that my job I'd have my list. One thing you can count on: Pearl and any others with repeated problems with the law or NCAA need not apply.

Off the top, there are a lot of up and coming coaches out there, Murray State's Steve Prohm, has been on several short list, including Miss St.. He is a turd graduate, is his only knock. Mercer has a good coach in Bob Hoffman.

And there are a bucket load of good assistance.

• 3 weeks later...

From our friend Gregg Doyel:

...Whether he has truly learned, only Bruce Pearl can say. But since losing his job in a most embarrassing way, he has used his downfall as a teaching tool for others -- speaking at elementary schools and high schools and Boys & Girls Clubs and telling all of them the same thing, that he broke a rule and lied about it and got caught and deserved everything he got and kids, don't ever be as stupid as I was when I was the coach at Tennessee.

A guy who hits rock bottom and rallies that way? He's a guy worth a second look. Three years later, he can and should be hired by someone wanting to give him that chance...

...Based on the way he speaks out about his own transgression, Pearl seems to have learned from his mistake. I say that as someone who hasn't talked to Pearl in years, so this isn't me carrying the water for my buddy -- read what I wrote about him in 2011; this isn't my buddy -- but recognizing that Pearl is a smart guy who surely, surely, surely won't make the same mistakes he made to lose his job at Tennessee in 2011...

http://www.cbssports.com/general/writer/gregg-doyel/24456460/after-years-away-repentant-bruce-pearl-could-be-jewel-for-tennessee

I can see why some people aren't too keen on getting this guy, but at the end of the day I think he will have more attractive destinations than Auburn calling for him after this season is over.

For those of you who do not want Pearl...the dude got in trouble for having a freakin BBQ and lied about it....he didn't pay players or other things...he supported the Girls BB Team at UT he had an exciting brand of BB to watch...he put teams on the floor that competed...He seems to have learned his lesson....and comparing him to saban is a load of crap...oh and those that bring up his time when he turned in a player for saying that he took money from another school...dude he was shunned for doing the same thing we expect our coaches to do...get real...hire this guy and we will be in the tourney in a couple of years....that is a fact....we are on our second "up & comer" and look how that has helped our BB team....ARE YOU KIDDING ME? This is a no brainer...short lease...and winning seasons...

Pearl has been in trouble everywhere he's stopped, it's not a one time thing with him. I don't care where he goes as long as it's not Auburn.

Pearl has been in trouble everywhere he's stopped, it's not a one time thing with him. I don't care where he goes as long as it's not Auburn.

Ok Mikey, What kind of trouble? Where? The only thing I could find on him was at UT...

Guest jojo1515

Heard he is the leading candidate to take the job at Tennessee should they decide to fire their current coach. Must be a terrible guy if TN is willing to re-hire him....I also would like Mikey to show what other trouble he has been in...

Ok Mikey, What kind of trouble? Where? The only thing I could find on him was at UT...

Read this entire thread. His problems at EVERY stop are clearly detailed in a post right here. I have read every post in this thread, thus I'm not going to do it again and paste it to save you from the work you should have done yourself before asking.

Heard he is the leading candidate to take the job at Tennessee should they decide to fire their current coach. Must be a terrible guy if TN is willing to re-hire him....I also would like Mikey to show what other trouble he has been in...

Where did you hear such a thing as that, from bammer fans? That's funny!

Read this entire thread. His problems at EVERY stop are clearly detailed in a post right here. I have read every post in this thread, thus I'm not going to do it again and paste it to save you from the work you should have done yourself before asking.

I haven't seen anything in this thread except for conjecture and the actual facts from TN case.. The time when he was at Iowa he was an assistant and turned in a kid for taking 80K & a Blazer...of course that wasn't proven but UI did go on probation & post season ban so something was up....oh and this Pearl is the second-fastest NCAA coach to reach 300 victories, and needed only 382 games to reach this mark which wasn't put anywhere in the thread. Incredible that most folks on here don't have a problem with giving players a second chance but toe the line at coaches....since his problems at UT which in my opinion are very minor (BBQ & Lied) this guy deserves a second chance. He was ostracized as a coach at the DI level for many years for the UI time so I think it is time to let it go. Our Admin has done nothing in selecting the last two up and comers. I miss the BB that we had when I was attending AU....we put a competitive team out on the floor and went to the NCAAs...yeah Chuck, Preston & company had a good run and it is now time to return to that....Bruce Pearl is a coach that can get us there...it is high time that we go after a coach like that...our compliance guys can keep him in check and he would infuse life back into the program. But the PTB will probably side with you on this and we will get another coach that in 4 years we will be saying we should have done this or that and oh who is the next up and comer because AU can't get a top coach.....so if we do pass on Pearl and if we are having this conversation again...just remember...because Pearl will be back in BB and he will be successful.

I always love the argument that AU should hire some slug just because someone else might do it.....sound like an argument I would hear from a five year old.

I always love the argument that AU should hire some slug just because someone else might do it.....sound like an argument I would hear from a five year old.

http://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeaction/188/247/026/ the UT Fans have a petition going to rehire him...Nice calling a person a slug....I am sure if we applied the same standards...what would people call you...glass houses and all.

88, no need to get your panties in a wad over people that don't like Bruce Pearl. There is zero chance Pearl will be interested in coming to coach at AU. He will get better offers from much better basketball schools than us. We are not going to throw the bank at him either. The sport is not important enough to our fan base and alums to overspend on someone like Pearl and you know that.

88, no need to get your panties in a wad over people that don't like Bruce Pearl. There is zero chance Pearl will be interested in coming to coach at AU. He will get better offers from much better basketball schools than us. We are not going to throw the bank at him either. The sport is not important enough to our fan base and alums to overspend on someone like Pearl and you know that.

I know but I get tired of people who live in glass houses...the purity attitude sucks....people want to point flaws out in others but don't take a look at themselves and see how they would like to be treated if the shoes were reversed. I can understand that we may not be able to get him but it is worth a shot...

I know but I get tired of people who live in glass houses...the purity attitude sucks....people want to point flaws out in others but don't take a look at themselves and see how they would like to be treated if the shoes were reversed. I can understand that we may not be able to get him but it is worth a shot...

this is the same thing we heard about hiring Petrino for football. It seems as if some of us have no standards at all. I believe that if Charles Manson could coach some of you would be willing to hire him.

this is the same thing we heard about hiring Petrino for football. It seems as if some of us have no standards at all. I believe that if Charles Manson could coach some of you would be willing to hire him.

I was against hiring Petrino...not because of what he did at Arky but I knew him from his first stint at AU and didn't like him then and I also didn't think he would put in a good defense...I was pro Gus and a couple of others...

Guest jojo1515

http://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeaction/188/247/026/ the UT Fans have a petition going to rehire him...Nice calling a person a slug....I am sure if we applied the same standards...what would people call you...glass houses and all.

Watch out 88, certain people on here can only attack others and cannot take any counter arguments for any reason. That said, if you were to call all the holier than thou people on this site the names they deserve, this site would have to shut down. The lack of respect of others opinions on this site has gone south. Instead we get constant attempts to squash opposing arguments with innuendo and name calling (dont believe me...go read the many many many comments on this topic by 64). Now which really seems like the work of a five year old? Also, I never said AU should hire him, just that he may not be that bad of a guy is TN is considering re hiring him, so the reason for your ignorant argument 64 is not even valid. You didnt actually read my post and had an immediate over reaction to basically nothing (kind of like a 5 year old ;)/> )

Wow, just go ahead and throw in Hitler too. <_<

This thread has reached the same point that the Petrino threads reached. Everybody knows that Auburn will not hire such a person, yet there are those here screaming to bring him in.

Pearl will not be considered for the AU coaching position and I agree with that policy.

While I don't think it is fair to lump Petrino and Pearl in the same category, I agree with the sentiment that Auburn won't hire him because of his troubled past. However, if I had to pick the one available candidate this offseason that had that best chance to succeed at Auburn it would probably be Bruce. And I don't think he would have to cheat to be successful either.

What are the chances that Jay Jacobs has already talked to Bruce Pearl about taking being named Auburn's basketaball coach after we get knocked out of the SEC dance and he's agreed.

Archived