Bruce Pearl Discussion

CameronCrazy

• Replies 521
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There's no question Bruce Pearl is the best coach we could possibly hire. We should be doing everything we can to hire him immediately before other openings come up.

JJ has to do his due diligence. He needs to get with the compliance people and thoroughly check everything out.

He hasn't turned us down yet!

he hasn't been contacted by Auburn yet either.

Very cool didn't know we had someone so close to the search. So what are you hearing on who JJ like the most? Any coaches been contacted yet? Are we still in the name gathering phase?

If we still won't associate with mark kamora, how could we justify hiring Pearl.

The NCAA named Komara a "supporter of AU athletics" or whatever their term is. It's not Auburn's decision not to associate with Komara, it's the NCAA's and it is permanent.

So the NCAA put the kabosh on AU dealing with Komara, and they still won't allow AU to work with him? The NCAA compliance official (Dave Didion) that slapped a show cause on Pearl and sent him to NCAA purgatory for 3 years for lying to him during the BBQ investigation is now employeed in AU compliance..... If the NCAA won't allow AU to deal with Komara after a decade, why would the former NCAA compliance official allow Pearl on the AU staff? Is it just water under the bridge? Didion buried the hatchet and he's over Bruce lying to him? AU compliance is fine with hiring a coach that's still dragging around a show cause sanction for the next 5 months? This is making me dizzy :dead:

No need to be dizzy. I doubt if Pearl is under consideration for the Auburn job, for the very reasons you just listed.

There's no question Bruce Pearl is the best coach we could possibly hire. We should be doing everything we can to hire him immediately before other openings come up.

I'm really shocked at how many people think this. I don't think BP is that great a coach at all.

I'm really shocked at how many people think this. I don't think BP is that great a coach at all.

Yeah, Tennessee had records of 14-16, 17-12, 15-14 and 14-17 in the four years prior to his arrival.

He only did this for the next six years at Tennessee:

22-8 (NCAA 2nd Round) *he did this even though UT lost its two leading scorers from the previous season

24-11 (NCAA Sweet Sixteen)

31-5 (SEC Regular Season Champions, NCAA Sweet Sixteen)

21-13 (NCAA 1st Round)

28-9 (NCAA Elite Eight)

19-15 (NCAA 1st Round)

That was preceded by 4 years at University of Milwaukee that included 2 trips to the NCAA tournament including a Sweet 16 appearance and one NIT appearance.

I can totally see how you'd think he wasn't a good coach. <_</>

The poster said he was the best coach we could get no question, and I said I didn't think he was that great. He is a good coach, but not great, and not worth the baggage he is carrying. We would have to show cause to hire him right now or get penalized. That alone makes him not great in my opinion.

I think some of you have gotten it in your minds that we hire BP or you will be mad. It's just like the arguments last year for another BP that lots of people wanted to hire to coach our football team. People were saying he was the absolute best coach we could hire then too but we know how that turned out.

If we still won't associate with mark kamora, how could we justify hiring Pearl.

The NCAA named Komara a "supporter of AU athletics" or whatever their term is. It's not Auburn's decision not to associate with Komara, it's the NCAA's and it is permanent.

So the NCAA put the kabosh on AU dealing with Komara, and they still won't allow AU to work with him? The NCAA compliance official (Dave Didion) that slapped a show cause on Pearl and sent him to NCAA purgatory for 3 years for lying to him during the BBQ investigation is now employeed in AU compliance..... If the NCAA won't allow AU to deal with Komara after a decade, why would the former NCAA compliance official allow Pearl on the AU staff? Is it just water under the bridge? Didion buried the hatchet and he's over Bruce lying to him? AU compliance is fine with hiring a coach that's still dragging around a show cause sanction for the next 5 months? This is making me dizzy :dead:

The NCAA restriction on AU's involvement with Komara ended in 2006. AU stays away from Komara voluntarily now.

The poster said he was the best coach we could get no question, and I said I didn't think he was that great. He is a good coach, but not great,

And his record indicates you're nuts if you think that.

and not worth the baggage he is carrying.

That is a different argument...and not one you made in your prior response. But I'll say if Rich McGlynn and Dave Didion say he's good to go, then his baggage isn't the problem you think it is.

We would have to show cause to hire him right now or get penalized. That alone makes him not great in my opinion.

We don't get penalized for hiring him. He just can't recruit or have contact with any recruits until August. We appear before the NCAA infractions committee to make our case for hiring him. I imagine with Didion's connections at the NCAA and his direct involvement with the case, if it gets to that point, we've got a pretty good indication behind the scenes that we're good to go.

I think some of you have gotten it in your minds that we hire BP or you will be mad. It's just like the arguments last year for another BP that lots of people wanted to hire to coach our football team. People were saying he was the absolute best coach we could hire then too but we know how that turned out.

They really aren't the same level of thing.

But also, Auburn is in a different position of power in football than it is in basketball.

The poster said he was the best coach we could get no question, and I said I didn't think he was that great. He is a good coach, but not great, and not worth the baggage he is carrying. We would have to show cause to hire him right now or get penalized. That alone makes him not great in my opinion.

First of all, the punishment for Bruce Pearl was a bit harsh. He had recruits over for BBQ and didn't tell anyone. Big deal. Secondly, who in your opinion is better that we could hire? You do realize we're not going to get Bill Self or Roy Williams, right? Bruce Pearl is without question the best coach we could hire.

Really? An admin just called me nuts for my opinion on a coach? Aren't you the one always telling to keep things civil?

Really? An admin just called me nuts for my opinion on a coach?

I called you nuts because an opinion still needs have some correlation to fact to back it up.

And calm down, Nancy. It was a mild insult, not some scathing rebuke. If you're going to float some opinion that flies in the face of all known factual data, be prepared for the inevitable backlash. Put on your big boy pants.

Calling me crazy is still an insult in my book and hypocritical of all that you preach.

And now you just called me Nancy and insinuated I am effeminate. Obviously you can do whatever you want since you are the king.

First of all, the punishment for Bruce Pearl was a bit harsh. He had recruits over for BBQ and didn't tell anyone. Big deal. Secondly, who in your opinion is better that we could hire? You do realize we're not going to get Bill Self or Roy Williams, right? Bruce Pearl is without question the best coach we could hire.

It went a bit further than just not telling anyone. The BBQ itself wasn't a big deal. It was the coverup and lying to investigators that got him the hard sanctions. One thing about enforcement people, they don't take kindly to being lied to.

And now you just called me Nancy and insinuated I am effeminate. Obviously you can do whatever you want since you are the king.

The actual numbers don't support that ridiculousness.

Have you researched anything concerning BP besides the NCAA issue (I'm assuming you researched that at least)? If you had, you would have found that he's been the head coach at 3 different schools. Division II Southern Indiana, where he posted a 231-46 record there in 9 years. Oh, and they went to the D-II post season tournament EVERY YEAR HE WAS THERE. He moved to Milwaukee where he coached for 4 years. Post season Tournament appearances his final 3 years there, one NIT and two NCAA. Then to Tennessee to start the 2005 season. When he was fired at Tennessee his record there was 145-61. Tennessee won the EAST division THREE times while he was there. He was there for 6 years and put Tennessee in the NCAA tournament EVERY YEAR he was there. So, combine his Division II stop and his two Division 1 stops and his record in 19 years is 462 - 145 with 18 teams that played in the post season. EIGHTEEN. He's NEVER had a losing season as a head coach. His closest to that was 2001-2002 season (his first) at Milwaukee when they went 16-13 and didn't make the post season.

The numbers lead us to this conclusion. Bruce Pearl is an OUTSTANDING basketball coach. PERIOD. He is probably the best coach out there that is immediately available. If our compliance officials are OK with pursuing his as our next coach we would be foolish to not make it happen. Hiring Bruce Pearl would be ANOTHER HOME RUN hire.

If it makes you feel better, I'll say your opinion is nuts, not you in general.

Your (over)sensitivity still kinda makes you a Nancy. The implication wasn't overall femininity so much as it was the sensitivity of a little girl.

But by all means, keep being butthurt. It's really improving things.

If it makes you feel better, I'll say your opinion is nuts, not you in general.

Your (over)sensitivity still kinda makes you a Nancy. The implication wasn't overall femininity so much as it was the sensitivity of a little girl.

But by all means, keep being butthurt. It's really improving things.

maybe you should offer him one of these

baby-pacifier.jpg

Archived