Bruce Pearl Discussion

CameronCrazy

Finbaum is trying to rally the troops on his show, saying ((hoping and praying)) that HE doesn't think Auburn will hire Bruce Pearl...

This tells me that there is an actual possibility that Auburn could hire Pearl.

• Replies 521
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Even those that are anti Pearl would have to admit that hiring him would bring AU basketball a lot of press and attention (with the majority of it being positive). And that is something we haven't had in a long, long time.

The poster said he was the best coach we could get no question, and I said I didn't think he was that great. He is a good coach, but not great,

And his record indicates you're nuts if you think that.

and not worth the baggage he is carrying.

That is a different argument...and not one you made in your prior response. But I'll say if Rich McGlynn and Dave Didion say he's good to go, then his baggage isn't the problem you think it is.

We would have to show cause to hire him right now or get penalized. That alone makes him not great in my opinion.

We don't get penalized for hiring him. He just can't recruit or have off campus contact with any recruits until August. We appear before the NCAA infractions committee to make our case for hiring him. I imagine with Didion's connections at the NCAA and his direct involvement with the case, if it gets to that point, we've got a pretty good indication behind the scenes that we're good to go.

I think some of you have gotten it in your minds that we hire BP or you will be mad. It's just like the arguments last year for another BP that lots of people wanted to hire to coach our football team. People were saying he was the absolute best coach we could hire then too but we know how that turned out.

They really aren't the same level of thing.

But also, Auburn is in a different position of power in football than it is in basketball.

FIFY oh and FYI berrytgr CBP was the second fastest coach to reach 300 Wins in his career....to say isn't a good coach...well you need to check some facts...

I posted back a few pages that we should try to get Bruce Pearl and if we did we would be lucky to have him. I will go further and say if Coach Pearl can't make Auburn a winner in basketball we might as well shut down the program.

But since we already have a $90 million basketball arena committed to the program, we should try to do something with it and get the best darn coach we can get our hands on.

I was also thinking about this today. Just think, if Barbee hadn't been given 1 more year last year, AU wouldn't even have this opportunity. The timing couldn't be any better for Auburn and Pearl.

Just don't think he would come even if ol flatbed threw the bank at him. He can afford to wait for a REAL bb opportunity either after this season or next. We are gonna continue to be known as UpandComer U when it comes to bb

Just don't think he would come even if ol flatbed threw the bank at him. He can afford to wait for a REAL bb opportunity either after this season or next. We are gonna continue to be known as UpandComer U when it comes to bb

If you're gonna be so negative on a Friday night, you could probably find something better to do.

I'm not so sure. I doubt Pearl gets a marquee job offer anytime soon. He's likely going to have to work his way back up to get a better job. Hopefully we at least go after him and make him an offer.

Having Bruce Pearl as the coach would help recruiting instantly even though he can't recruit until August. We might get some guys that might not have been that interested in us to take a serious look at us.

Pearl would instantly become the 3rd most accomplished coach in the SEC behind Billy Donovan at Florida and John Calipari at Kentucky.

Jay needs to pull the trigger on Pearl before somebody else snags him. Pay the man!

I don't think it will boil down to money. It will be about if Pearl wants to coach here. We were paying Barbee what Pearl was making at UT.

Jay needs to pull the trigger on Pearl before somebody else snags him. Pay the man!

We won't be paying Pearl for the same reasons we aren't paying Petrino. Auburn can and will find a coach without Pearl's baggage and the idea that "this is the only coach that can win at Auburn" is simply not true.

There's no question Bruce Pearl is the best coach we could possibly hire. We should be doing everything we can to hire him immediately before other openings come up.

I'm really shocked at how many people think this. I don't think BP is that great a coach at all.

Pearl is a top college Bball personalty. The players love him and the fans love him as well. He can coach too. If AU as lucky enough to get him, he may the the best AU has ever had. Our Bball history is sketchy at best, what great coach do you think will come running towards the AU opening? I think Holland is a very good coach as well. Not sure he would come to AU.

We won't be paying Pearl for the same reasons we aren't paying Petrino. Auburn can and will find a coach without Pearl's baggage and the idea that "this is the only coach that can win at Auburn" is simply not true.

Who would you hope gets the job Mikey? AU has no history of having a great, consistant winning program and we have not made good BBall hires in the recent past either. When was the last time AU paid any Bball coach Top tier money?

Don't let Pearl get away and and take over at UAT.

He isn't going to the turds. Grant is going to be back next year. I believe BP will be coaching somewhere next year. Where remains to be seen.

I know wins will put butts in seats but a big personality, that is a proven solid coach, would put butts in seats until the team gets those wins. The fan base needs a morale boost along with the team improving. Gus and Galloway are some good personalities, I'd be cool with a bball personality as well

Pearl has said he would listen if AU called him. Now what that means who knows. No coach is going to say publicly he would not listen. It could be he would be genuinely interested in the job or it could be that it just keeps his name out there and maybe somebody else he does have a true interest in would be motivated to make the move. Only he knows. I am still not completely sold on him personally. I certainly believe in second chances. Lord knows I have had to be forgiven on more than one occasion. I suppose it is worth a chance.

Dave Didion was the NCAA compliance person that worked Pearl's case. He is now at Auburn in our compliance department. He has given the green light to pursuing Pearl if we can get him. Given that level of understanding of the facts of the case paired with how strict our compliance department has been on basketball, that tells me his so-called "baggage" is more like a pencil pouch than a suitcase. I think it's more a matter if we can come to a mutual agreement with Pearl than some unequal comparison to Petrino.

Archived