Bruce Pearl Discussion

CameronCrazy

A lot of the above happy speculation is dependent on Didion leaving the NCAA on good terms. Did they all shake hands, slap backs and wish each other well or were there some difficulties? Either case is possible. There are also a lot of statements about Didion "giving his blessing". Unless someone was in the room during the conversation we can't possibly know how many strings he may have attached to that blessing, if a blessing it was.

Anyway, if Pearl can't be hired until August, so what? Nobody else can hire him either and those who are so hell-bent that he'll be the savior of AU basketball can keep threads like this going all summer.

Don't forget those "hell-bent" on being morally superior can also keep these threads going all summer. ;)

Thats funny, I don't care who you are. I've noticed, at times, some pretty "tall horses" gallup through here.

• Replies 521
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Quoting Rednilla:"I thought Barbee deserved another year."

C'mon, man! What Barbee "deserved" was to be fired after last season. There is no reason to assume that this crop of Barbee signees would have done any different than previous groups, which is transfer out after one season here. This may happen again this year, their normal departure schedule is somewhere around the end of spring semester. The new coach's first job will be trying to keep the current roster more or less intact, something Barbee was never able to accomplish.

I don't consider anyone opposing Pearl's hiring based on his history to be behaving in a "morally superior" manner. "Prudent" might be a better term, but to each his/her own. If Pearl is hired at AU I will continue to support and follow the team, it won't be the end of the world. Were I the AD I'd choose otherwise so y'all should be happy that I'm not the AD.

Mikey, my post was in jest and not meant to ruffle jimmies. I respect your opinion, but don't agree with it.

Source: Bruce Pearl, Auburn meet

Updated: March 18, 2014, 10:11 AM ETBy Jeff Goodman | ESPN.com

Bruce Pearl met with Auburn athletic director Jay Jacobs on Monday night in Knoxville and is strong considering taking the job, sources told ESPN.

Pearl, 54, was fired in 2011 after taking Tennessee to six consecutive NCAA tournaments. He has worked for ESPN the past two years.

Pearl declined comment.

Auburn fired Tony Barbee last week after the Tigers finished 14-16 this past season and 6-12 in the SEC. Barbee was 49-75 in four seasons.

Pearl spent four seasons at Milwaukee and took the program to a pair of NCAA tournaments - including a Sweet 16 appearance in 2005. He was hired at Tennessee in 2005 and was 145-61 in six seasons with the Vols.

He was fired for lying to the NCAA in March of 2011 and was given a three-year show cause by the NCAA. The show-cause expires this August and will not allow him to have contact with recruits this summer. Pearl, however, will be allowed to evaluate recruits in the all-important July recruiting period.

Bruce Pearl met with Auburn athletic director Jay Jacobs on Monday night in Knoxville and is strong considering taking the job, sources told ESPN.

Pearl, 54, was fired in 2011 after taking Tennessee to six consecutive NCAA tournaments. He has worked for ESPN the past two years.

Pearl declined comment.

Auburn fired Tony Barbee last week after the Tigers finished 14-16 this past season and 6-12 in the SEC. Barbee was 49-75 in four seasons.

Pearl spent four seasons at Milwaukee and took the program to a pair of NCAA tournaments - including a Sweet 16 appearance in 2005. He was hired at Tennessee in 2005 and was 145-61 in six seasons with the Vols.

He was fired for lying to the NCAA in March of 2011 and was given a three-year show cause by the NCAA. The show-cause expires this August and will not allow him to have contact with recruits this summer. Pearl, however, will be allowed to evaluate recruits in the all-important July recruiting period.

Why haven't the pearl threads been merged? Seems like it would be easier?

Been wondering the same thing.

Just working on my post count........

We're in a waiting game now. We shall see.............

I feel like with how slow the NCAA can be they'll approve this on August 22nd...

They already approved him, Didion already released that he was approved. Don't know why you guys keep bringing that up.

They already approved him, Didion already released that he was approved. Don't know why you guys keep bringing that up.

He doesn't work for the NCAA. Auburn can approve him all he wants.

I'm pretty sure by approving him, he meant they got the OK to hire him. As in, the NCAA can't stop it.

I'm pretty sure by approving him, he meant they got the OK to hire him. As in, the NCAA can't stop it.

Ahh - thanks for clarifying. Good to know. Apologies on my confusion.

Ahh - thanks for clarifying. Good to know. Apologies on my confusion.

All good, we all have our major doubts about this situation. Considering we all want him so bad :P

I'm not an insider by any means, but I am a member of the basketball band. I'm just reiterating what everyone has said in that a hire should happen within the next few days. I received an e-mail from the athletic department that said this. If this is true, I really think it points to Pearl getting the job.

Pearl declined comment.

Why haven't the pearl threads been merged? Seems like it would be easier?

Perhaps the board is trying to create a string of Pearls....?

From what I'm hearing, it's not even a discussion anymore. Announcement soon but seems to be a done deal!

Edit: Free link - http://auburn.247spo...r-Auburn-183006

Excuse my language but, **** yes.

Agreed. JJ is killin it with hires the last 2 years.

There's celebration going on all over Twitter and FB. I need some stronger confirmation.....don't want to get too excited to have the rug pulled from underneath me. Any other places reporting it is indeed a hire?

There's celebration going on all over Twitter and FB. I need some stronger confirmation.....don't want to get too excited to have the rug pulled from underneath me. Any other places reporting it is indeed a hire?

FWIW Bleacher Report (haha I know) is reporting, as is Bryan Matthews from 24/7. If BM says it's done, I believe it. The 24/7 article has quotes from both JJ and CBP, so I'm inclined to think it's time to get pumped. :wareagle: :wareagle:

Archived