Report: Signee Kalvaraz Bessent Arrested

RunInRed

There is a whole lot of excuse making in this thread for an AU recruit who it seems clear, has criminal tendencies when, had the same situation occurred with a spuat, uga, lsu, etc recruit, opinions would have been vastly different from the same excuse makers.

wde

Im not making any excuses for Bessent nor have I thrown any other teams' players under the bus. This kid has made a very costly mistake and I hope he can recover from it. Thats all Im saying

Not pointing out you specifically. I hope he can recover from it as well, but if the evidence indicates he was involved (beyond being an innocent, ignorant, pure as driven snow bystander) then his scholly should be revoked.

wde

• Replies 519
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What kind of time frame do you guys think we are looking at here? Specifically, time from arrest to formal charges, etc. Trying to figure out how long till some hard facts may come out.

The gun ownership is where his biggest problem is IMO. OK, I was wrong about using the term registered but what I meant was if it had the serial numbers scraped off of it and nobody had a license to carry it.

The gun, scales, and amount of drugs present change everything. The presence of the gun (if none were lawfully permitted to possess or carry) could make this drug case a Federal case in which Federal mandatory sentencing guidelines could be applied if found guilty, esp when coupled with the scales and amount that is viewed as dealing or trafficing by FL prosecutors. I am suspecting that no one in the vehicle possessed a concealed carry permit from GA or FL since nobody has owned up to the firearm. KB should be begging his buddies to take the wrap for the whole thing so that he can keep his scholly and play at AU. This is definetely a learning oppurtunity for all the young men involved, hope it works out for them.

Sorry, but people on this board who refer to Bessent as a "criminal", or describe him having "criminal tendencies", sound like querulous old women. Here's my take: some podunk deputy pulled over a car containing 4 black males, rousted them, actually found some contraband, and then, after the fact, said he smelled marijuana in the vehicle. And the podunk authorities in that podunk county charged every black male in that vehicle with multiple felonies that, at worst, could get them 11 years in prison. Sounds like the prelude to a Burt Reynolds movie from the 1970s. I'm off the fence now. Auburn needs to stand up for Bessent and support him in this trying time. I'd much rather have my alma mater known as a place that supports its own than a school that throws its own under the bus at the earliest opportunity. Bessent's life has already been turned upside down. Now, some of you want to stomp it into pieces because of of marijuana and someone else's speeding ticket. I really do hope that that "some of you" are just Auburn fans who never attended the school.

i think some are confusing "unregistered firearm" and "concealed weapon(without permit)". not sure but having a gun may not be illegal but having a loaded pistol under the car seat may be.

Sorry, but people on this board who refer to Bessent as a "criminal", or describe him having "criminal tendencies", sound like querulous old women. Here's my take: some podunk deputy pulled over a car containing 4 black males, rousted them, actually found some contraband, and then, after the fact, said he smelled marijuana in the vehicle. And the podunk authorities in that podunk county charged every black male in that vehicle with multiple felonies that, at worst, could get them 11 years in prison. Sounds like the prelude to a Burt Reynolds movie from the 1970s. I'm off the fence now. Auburn needs to stand up for Bessent and support him in this trying time. I'd much rather have my alma mater known as a place that supports its own than a school that throws its own under the bus at the earliest opportunity. Bessent's life has already been turned upside down. Now, some of you want to stomp it into pieces because of of marijuana and someone else's speeding ticket. I really do hope that that "some of you" are just Auburn fans who never attended the school.

I'm sorry, but this is making as many assumptions and leaps of tenuous logic as people assuming that he's guilty of running a multinational drug ring. If we are not going to jump to conclusions about KB until the facts of the case come out, then we certainly shouldn't be jumping to conclusions about an as-yet-unnamed deputy.

However, I do give you +1 for using the word querulous.

Ok... sorry for being lazy, but I don't have time to dredge through 503 comments. The one article I read on this said that Bessent was a passenger in a vehicle with 3 other guys, they were pulled over, searched because of a marijuana smell, LOTS of marijuana, a scale and a gun were found, all hidden. None of the guys would admit the stuff was his, so everyone was arrested.

What am I missing that has so many people throwing the book at Bessent? Agreed that, at best, he needs to pick his friends better. Also agreed that it could mean he's into some really bad stuff. A ll that being said, I haven't read anything official that shows that he couldn't just have been riding with a friend who had a secret drug business. Yea, that's best case scenario, but that's how we are supposed to think... innocent until proven guilty. Does anyone have any info to add that shows more guilt on his part, or are we all just assuming that a kid who is found in the vicinity of bad things must be bad?

I am an AU grad (and had a daughter graduate from AU out of state on an academic scholarship) and for that very reason, I don't have a lot of sympathy for a kid (who very likely would not have been even admitted to AU other than the fact he was a 4 star recruit) on a football scholly being arrested with a gun in the car and enough pot in the car to qualify as an "intent to distribute" charge. Bessent (and no one else) made the decision that is causing this "trying time" (boo freaking hoo) for him and since he hasn't enrolled, he is not "one of our own".

wde

Just so we are clear about the Florida law regarding possession of a firearm during a felony (in this case, possession with intent to sell):

(3)(a)1. Any person who is convicted of a felony or an attempt to commit a felony, regardless of whether the use of a firearm is an element of the felony, and the conviction was for:

a. Murder;

b. Sexual battery;

c. Robbery;

d. Burglary;

e. Arson;

f. Aggravated assault;

g. Aggravated battery;

h. Kidnapping;

i. Escape;

j. Sale, manufacture, delivery, or intent to sell, manufacture, or deliver any controlled substance;

k. Aircraft piracy;

l. Aggravated child abuse;

m. Aggravated abuse of an elderly person or disabled adult;

n. Unlawful throwing, placing, or discharging of a destructive device or bomb;

o. Carjacking;

p. Home-invasion robbery;

q. Aggravated stalking; or

r. Trafficking in cannabis, trafficking in cocaine, capital importation of cocaine, trafficking in illegal drugs, capital importation of illegal drugs, trafficking in phencyclidine, capital importation of phencyclidine, trafficking in methaqualone, capital importation of methaqualone, trafficking in amphetamine, capital importation of amphetamine, trafficking in flunitrazepam, trafficking in gamma-hydroxybutyric acid (GHB), trafficking in 1,4-Butanediol, trafficking in Phenethylamines, or other violation of s. 893.135(1);

and during the commission of the offense, such person possessed a semiautomatic firearm and its high-capacity detachable box magazine or a machine gun as defined in s. 790.001, shall be sentenced to a minimum term of imprisonment of 15 years.

and during the commission of the offense, such person actually possessed a “firearm” or “destructive device” as those terms are defined in s. 790.001, shall be sentenced to a minimum term of imprisonment of 10 years, except that a person who is convicted for aggravated assault, possession of a firearm by a felon, or burglary of a conveyance shall be sentenced to a minimum term of imprisonment of 3 years if such person possessed a “firearm” or “destructive device” during the commission of the offense. However, if an offender who is convicted of the offense of possession of a firearm by a felon has a previous conviction of committing or attempting to commit a felony listed in s. 775.084(1)(b)1. and actually possessed a firearm or destructive device during the commission of the prior felony, the offender shall be sentenced to a minimum term of imprisonment of 10 years.

That's Florida statute 775.087 (3)(a)1. http://www.leg.state.fl.us/Statutes/index.cfm?App_mode=Display_Statute&Search_String=&URL=0700-0799/0775/Sections/0775.087.html

I am not a lawyer and do not practice law, so I am unfamiliar with case law or mitigating circumstances. I'm just pointing out that the gun is the key, not only because it makes the sentence worse, but mainly because the investigators can use that as a serious wedge to pry out a confession from someone.

Just a little aside on this subject ...

As a youth growing up in NW Florida, it was fairly well known that the i-10 corridor from Houston to Jacksonville was a highly traveled drug corridor.

I remember about this time of year it seemed like there was ALOT more pot around. I used to joke that you knew it was harvest season south of the equator.

Anywho, the fact they were in the Jacksonville area with a well above average amount of pot doesn't really surprise me.

I want the facts to come out, hope he was in the wrong place/time, feel he made bad decisions (question is too what magnitude) and seems as though there has been the news has gotten progressively less favorable - initial report, some clarification, then latest about higher quantity and scales.

I'm glad I don't have to make the decision that Gus does.

I am an AU grad (and had a daughter graduate from AU out of state on an academic scholarship) and for that very reason, I don't have a lot of sympathy for a kid (who very likely would not have been even admitted to AU other than the fact he was a 4 star recruit) on a football scholly being arrested with a gun in the car and enough pot in the car to qualify as an "intent to distribute" charge. Bessent (and no one else) made the decision that is causing this "trying time" (boo freaking hoo) for him and since he hasn't enrolled, he is not "one of our own".

wde

We make our own decisions and choose our own friends. We are usually known by who we hang out with. If the drugs was not his, he knew who the drugs belonged to. You can not tell me that anyone would not know that he is friends with a drug dealer. Come on man!

Ok... sorry for being lazy, but I don't have time to dredge through 503 comments. The one article I read on this said that Bessent was a passenger in a vehicle with 3 other guys, they were pulled over, searched because of a marijuana smell, LOTS of marijuana, a scale and a gun were found, all hidden. None of the guys would admit the stuff was his, so everyone was arrested.

What am I missing that has so many people throwing the book at Bessent? Agreed that, at best, he needs to pick his friends better. Also agreed that it could mean he's into some really bad stuff. A ll that being said, I haven't read anything official that shows that he couldn't just have been riding with a friend who had a secret drug business. Yea, that's best case scenario, but that's how we are supposed to think... innocent until proven guilty. Does anyone have any info to add that shows more guilt on his part, or are we all just assuming that a kid who is found in the vicinity of bad things must be bad?

Welcome to the party.

No, you pretty much nailed it. I think the consensus is "boy better'd pick better friends." There have been some outliers on both sides, but I think the rest of the mood rests somewhere between "dubious" and "hopeful."

No, you pretty much nailed it. I think the consensus is "boy better'd pick better friends." There have been some outliers on both sides, but I think the rest of the mood rests somewhere between "dubious" and "hopeful."

Thanks for the clarification. Based on a majority of the comments I was reading, I was beginning to worry that they had already proven he was guilty of something.

...... As a guess, being that they had a 1/2 pound of pot in the car... I am going to doubt that they had the gun "securely encased"... but that's just a guess.....

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

This is great thread.

...... As a guess, being that they had a 1/2 pound of pot in the car... I am going to doubt that they had the gun "securely encased"... but that's just a guess.....

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

This is great thread.

ikr? I laughed out loud when I read it, because I read it in Lewis Grizzard's voice.

There is a whole lot of excuse making in this thread for an AU recruit who it seems clear (at least to those who are objective) has criminal tendencies when, had the same situation occurred with a spuat, uga, lsu, etc recruit, opinions would have been vastly different from the same excuse makers.

wde

Why does that surprise you? :dunno:

Good grief. It's an Auburn thread, or hadn't you noticed?

:wareagle:

There is a whole lot of excuse making in this thread for an AU recruit who it seems clear (at least to those who are objective) has criminal tendencies when, had the same situation occurred with a spuat, uga, lsu, etc recruit, opinions would have been vastly different from the same excuse makers.

wde

Wrong. There's not any excuse making going on. There's a lot of wishful and speculating maybe, but I haven't heard anyone making excuses for him.

Hell, we don't yet know what he is guilty of other than getting into a car he shouldn't have.

Archived