2015 3* LB Elijah Sullivan (Kansas State signee)

AubTigers

So we didn't intend to sigh Ruben Foster and A.J. Johnson year before last? We didn't intend to sign Evans and McMillan last trip? Who knew?

Guys, it's pretty simple: Until we are sufficiently stocked with ADEQUATE LB's we'll need to sign 4+ a year if that many can be signed. For whatever reasons injuries and under-performance seem to plague the position. I don't care how many are on scholarship at the moment, most of them are not adequate SEC LB's. Are some of them playing? Sure, and if you want to watch the UGA and UAT games again you can see them getting bulldozed by such un-fearsome runners as Murray and McCryin'. We need help there and the only way to get it is to sign numbers of quality recruits. Signing two a year won't get the restocking job done.

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

By the way; according to AUR the target number of LINEBACKER signees this year is (once again)......2.

I'll take the over.

By the way; according to AUR the target number of LINEBACKER signees this year is (once again)......2.

I'll take the over.

It was on recruiting board (position needs) before AUR published it. Once again, TWO!

I'll take the over.

It was on recruiting board (position needs) before AUR published it. Once again, TWO!

As I said, I'll take the over on that. Why does anyone think we were trying to recruit four LB's this year but now will only take two next year? Most of the time when something doesn't make sense, it doesn't make sense and "needs" for 2015 signees at LB being two doesn't make sense.

Either that or he will cling to the Elijah Sullivan types being linebackers and declare himself right all along.

Elijah Sullivan types can't be linebackers? Gee, I could have sworn Javier Mitchell, the same "type" of guy, played linebacker last year. Mitchell was listed at 6' 1", 195 when we signed him. Silly me, silly official rosters. They even listed Mitchell as making tackles from the linebacker position in several games. What a bunch of mistake makers, huh? Everybody knows somebody of Michell's type or Sullivan's type can't ever play linebacker!

Either that or he will cling to the Elijah Sullivan types being linebackers and declare himself right all along.

Elijah Sullivan types can't be linebackers? Gee, I could have sworn Javier Mitchell, the same "type" of guy, played linebacker last year. Mitchell was listed at 6' 1", 195 when we signed him. Silly me, silly official rosters. They even listed Mitchell as making tackles from the linebacker position in several games. What a bunch of mistake makers, huh? Everybody knows somebody of Michell's type or Sullivan's type can't ever play linebacker!

And Derrick Moncrief can't be a linebacker because he's listed at safety, right? Nevermind that he's bigger than the guy you used in your example; it's set in stone!

Mikey, just get over yourself already. If you look at the comment directly above the one you quoted, I pointed out that many of Tommy Tuberville's linebackers WERE a lot like that. It's just that he ran a different system of defense.

As for Sullivan, maybe he will end up at LB...but I doubt it. See, last year, CEJ was just trying to find players who were able to follow the scheme correctly. This is why Joshua Holsey played linebacker when he did: his football IQ is such that he was able to be in the right place at the right time, even if he doesn't fit the physical mold for the position. This is also why Justin Garrett was initially slated at the Star position, but when he was injured and Therezie stepped up as the starter, Mack Alexander stepped up behind him on the depth chart, so Garrett moved back to linebacker because he had played there before, and because of the younger players growing into their roles, we needed him more there than at safety.

However, Johnson has a reputation for making a great deal of improvement from year one to year two, meaning that it's far more likely he will have the bigger guys (Frost, McKinzy, Swain, and Cameron Toney) prepared mentally to play the two linebacker positions. That doesn't mean that Garrett or Mitchell won't see time at linebacker; it means that the farther along we go, the more we will see the prototypical 230-240 pound linebackers at those two spots.

By the way, I don't remember anyone but you claiming we were actively trying to sign four linebackers in February. In fact, all reports are that Rashaan Evans was being recruited to play Star, not linebacker. I do think the coaches wanted to sign one more LB, but considering we only lost one of them this offseason, signing two means we have one more than we did last year...and since Garrett is the only senior listed at linebacker, signing two would, again, increase the total number by 1, putting us at 8 total who fit the mold of the ILB type that Johnson prefers for the two true LB spots.

But this is growing tiresome, and I have better things to do than explain the finer points of the game of football to you when you clearly refuse to acknowledge that maybe someone other than you has insight into Auburn recruiting. Enjoy patting yourself on the back.

Quote: "And Derrick Moncrief can't be a linebacker because he's listed at safety, right? Nevermind that he's bigger than the guy you used in your example; it's set in stone!"

According to you guys Moncrief can't be a LB because we only signed two LB's last year. Just trying to play by house rules. If you want to call him a LB it's fine by me, but for this conversation let's put him at one position and leave him there instead of shifting him back and forth as it suits your purpose.

You help prove my point. Frost and McKenzie both played out of position because of the play calling situation, Holsey played at LB because others can't grasp what needs to be grasped, and yet we don't need to recruit extra guys at the LB positions?

And again, it doesn't matter how many are currently on the roster, it could be 8 or 18. We do not have sufficient numbers of quality players at LB. The guy that's most likely to be the next All-SEC AU linebacker is Tre Williams, a signee that has never participated in an Auburn practice, yet some claim we're "just fine" at the position?

I'm content to wait until signing day next February, when we'll either sign more than two linebackers or have some notable last minute swings and misses.

Guys, shut up and take the back and forth to pm's. As its been stated by others, it has become tiresome.

No reason to lock it. The #'s debate should be taken to a PM maybe, but lock the thread?

Sullivan is going to be a player. It was no accident we took his verbal so soon.

ETA: Bird beat me to it.

No reason to lock it. The #'s debate should be taken to a PM maybe, but lock the thread?

Sullivan is going to be a player. It was no accident we took his verbal so soon.

ETA: Bird beat me to it.

I'm really glad to hear this. I love getting early commits but sometimes it makes me nervous that we might end up with a better option later that we can't take. Thanks for the insight on this one because now I can't wait to just watch Sullivan climb the rankings like Sean White did this last year.

• 4 months later...

Sullivan was at Dawg Night with Ledbetter but chose not to workout. Needed to workout to get the UGA offer. AJC has indicated that the flirtation maybe done.

Sullivan is a player, like I said above. We did well to get him on board early.

Plus he comes from good stock, his Dad being a Heisman trophy winner and all.

:no:

No ? Wrong Sullivan?

No ? Wrong Sullivan?

Just a guess on my part, you never know I suppose.

• 1 month later...

Great hit. Tucker is always good. They came close to beating Norcross last weekend.

In case anyone missed the game (It was on Sportssouth) Overall Sully had a very good game. However he was penalized 15 yards for leading with the helmet on the hit linked on the previous page.

Archived