2015 4* OG Marquel Harrell commits to AU!

EagleDamnWar

6_1302500.jpg

Marquel Harrell, OG

Fairburn, GA (Creekside)

6-3, 295

- Recruiter: J.B. Grimes

- Previously committed to Ole Miss

- Visited AU 2/20/14 and obtained offer

Offers: Alabama, Auburn, Charlotte, Florida, Florida State, Kentucky, Marshall, Michigan State, Mississippi State, North Carolina, Ole Miss, Penn State, Purdue, Tennessee, USC, Virginia and Wisconsin, among others.

247Sports: 3*

Rivals: 3*

Scout: 3*

Hudl Highlights

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He visits Auburn twice in one week, tweets that he was offered by Gus, which seems to excite him, and days later he decommits from Ole Miss (and Hosely insinuates it's because he's committed to Auburn) . Doesn't take a detective to put the pieces together. I'd say he's pretty high on our board.

• 1 month later...

I am attaching HUDL film on Harrell.

He goes to Creekside HS,a very good program. He quick and strong in the film.

http://www.hudl.com/...lights/89976377

Thanks for that link. He looks like a dominating run blocker, but I saw very few pass plays where he was protecting the pocket. There were several screens where he pulled and ran downfield to block for the receiver (pretty quick for a big man), but not much pass protection. Is that because of the offense Creekside runs? (Same reason you didn't see GR pass protecting much and why he's being knocked by some for lack of pass blocking ability?)

I would expect him to be upgraded to 4* before the end of the season. Hope he picks the good guys.

Greg can learn what he needs to, another year would have done him no good even though J.B. would have helped him get even better. (I know you didn't say he should have stayed) The improvment was obvious between 2012 vs. 2013. His ceiling is way up there. I think we are looking at guys that are Maulers on the OL. But guys who are athletic enough to play more than one spot. Whether it's Guard/Center or Guard/Tackle, it makes it much easier to gel a group together if some can play more than one spot IMO.

Harrell looks outstanding to me. He moves really well for his size, pulling and getting downfield. I am excited we lead for him. Come on Harrell, pull the trigger for the good guys.

OL recruiting is crazy this year. We're at the top or near the top for so many big-time guys, but we will only sign 4 or maybe 5 as I understand it. It's not going to be easy to make the numbers work out this time around. I had thought Ivey, Richmond and maybe Brown were definitely at the top of OT board and Patterson, Warmack and maybe Daniels would be our top targets with committable offers at OG/OC. But it now seems Harrell, Kim, Carr, and Sharp may be takes (or will be very soon) and are likely looking to commit this summer. So if we don't accept their committals we likely lose them. And we have DWilliams and BKennedy coming on strong as well, so it's not going to be easy decisions for CGM and CJBG. I guess it's a good problem to have in a way, but a little too stressful for me. That being said, I have no doubt that this staff will make the right decisions.

• 2 weeks later...

Strange! Out of the blue decides to commit today without any rumors or fanfare. Welome Mr. Harrell. If this holds up I bet there are a lot of CBers who will be flipping somebody back to UGA before Friday.

Kaleb Kim is probably all UGA anyway right?

I doubt that, and if I am right this guy is a guard, and projected to play that too. Should have no effect on Kim.

I doubt that, and if I am right this guy is a guard, and projected to play that too. Should have no effect on Kim.

Are we recruiting any centers or is the plan likely to involve moving one of the guards to that spot in the future? Dampeer played well on Saturday but who is behind him for 2015....maybe a guy like this?

Are we going to take his commitment?

He said he talked to coach Grimes before giving his verbal, so I assume after the convo with Gus yes.

Are we recruiting any centers or is the plan likely to involve moving one of the guards to that spot in the future? Dampeer played well on Saturday but who is behind him for 2015....maybe a guy like this?

No clue boss, the guard idea came from the fact everyone keeps calling him that. So...maybe?

Archived