WHO??? NBA Is So Lame Now

Weegle777

Proof that NBA basketball is so lame. In the good days of NBA ball, if any player was getting his jersey retired, everybody knew who he was. I have never even heard of this guy. Heck, I've never even heard his name!

http://m.bleacherreport.com/articles/1985939-lebron-james-will-attend-zydrunas-ilgauskas-jersey-retirement-after-all?utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=programming-national?is_shared=true

He never played college basketball in the US.

He went from a pro team in Lithuania to the NBA.

He played 15 years for Cleveland.

If Lebron James had not been at Cleveland, no one would even know about this guy then or now.

I think there is really not much interest in the NBA anymore. College basketball needs to take steps to stop that from happening to the college game.

I've heard of him. He was a solid player for the Cavs for a while. I don't know that he's in the top 50 centers. I guess when you're the Cleveland Cavaliers though, there's not a lot to choose from.

He never played college basketball in the US.

He went from a pro team in Lithuania to the NBA.

He played 15 years for Cleveland.

If Lebron James had not been at Cleveland, no one would even know about this guy then or now.

I think there is really not much interest in the NBA anymore. College basketball needs to take steps to stop that from happening to the college game.

Unfortunately it has already happened to the college game. Outside of a couple of Auburn players, I couldn't name any guys playing in college now.

Yeah this guy averaged like 13 points and 7 rebounds--not too flashy. I think this was more of an effort to boost attendance for an otherwise struggling franchise.

The NBA is still plenty popular, but not with white people in the southeast. Until another Larry Bird comes along it won't be.

The NBA is still plenty popular, but not with white people in the southeast. Until another Larry Bird comes along it won't be.

There are plenty of "white" people in the NBA. Has nothing to do with race, it has everything to do with the watered down talent. The overall product is terrible.

There are plenty of "white" people in the NBA. Has nothing to do with race, it has everything to do with the watered down talent. The overall product is terrible.

How is it watered down? The NBA now builds teams from talent around the world so it is even harder to make a team than ever before. Basketball is a world wide sport with more intense competition than ever internationally. If you want watered down, look at the NCAA. Over 200 Div 1 teams and the best talent leaves after one year. The NBA has not expanded since 2004 and the amount of available players has continued to grow.

You can try to make the argument that the game is not played as well but I think that's wrong. The game and rules have changed and evolved. I thought last years finals between the Spurs and Heat was as good a series as I have seen. You remind me of the old joke. How many southerners does it take to change a light bulb? Four. One to change the bulb and three to talk about how good the old one was. The old days of Bird versus Magic were great but we were kids then and they seemed like supermen. Now we are older than the current players and our view of them is different and more critical.

Also, you admit you have never even heard of Ilgauskas then you obviously have not watched much NBA over the last 10 years. You remind me of the average NBA critic. They talk about how terrible it is but say they never watch it. How the heck can you know how terrible the game is being played if you don't actually watch it?

I have watched plenty of NBA games. And growing up, I lived NBA basketball. I was obsessed with it. I rarely watched football because basketball consumed me. Trust me, I know basketball, and what I have seen is so the opposite of exciting. And you make a valid point in your earlier post. Magic, Jordan, Isaiah, were supermen, but those guys never loafed on defense. They were as good defensively as they were on offense.

I loved watching Dr J and then magic and the Lakers battling the Celtics. After Jordan I just could not get it into basketball as much. Mostly it comes from the influence of AAU and the one and done. Fundamentals have dropped off all through the sport.

I used to be consumed by the NBA. I never missed a televised game. I remember Sunday's I was booked watching the double header on NBC, along with all of the coverage on TNT and TBS. Now, I am not sure I could name more than 5-10 players. Really, I got turned off when it became so much about the individual players and less about what the teams collectively could do.

You've never heard of Zydrunas Ilgauskas? He was a 2-time NBA All-Star and a damn good player who pushed through a myriad of foot and ankle injuries to have a very solid NBA career. He doesn't have the profile of most players who have their number retired, but he's the Cavaliers all-time leader in games played, rebounds, and blocks.

he's just getting his jersey retired. nothing at all wrong with that. if you dont know who Ilgauskas is, then you cannot have watched much if any nba basketball the past 10 years.

Guest jojo1515

Also, you admit you have never even heard of Ilgauskas then you obviously have not watched much NBA over the last 10 years. You remind me of the average NBA critic. They talk about how terrible it is but say they never watch it. How the heck can you know how terrible the game is being played if you don't actually watch it?

People like myself dont watch much NBA BECAUSE the product stinks. Yes, there are exceptional players, and a few great teams, but the overall product has become closer to the effortless all star show off games and less like a team.sport. Some people may like it better that way. I personally dont. Now I know that nobody cares what I think about the NBA, so I am just giving my opinion. The few franchises that actually play "team" offense and defense are at the top of the league. The rest of the league is uninteresting. Basketball used to be a sport where everyone gave 110 percent. Now its heading toward a league of 50 percenters..not in talent..only in full game effort. The days of epic battles during the season are all bjt over. That type of effort is only seen in the playoffs (or in meaningful late season games). I may be in the minority in thinking that, but that is my opinion.

The rules cause a lot of issues. The defensive 3 second violation and continuation rule restrict defense and the short shot clock keeps teams from running anything but ball screens and isolation plays. These are gimmicks to increase point totals.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The rules cause a lot of issues. The defensive 3 second violation and continuation rule restrict defense and the short shot clock keeps teams from running anything but ball screens and isolation plays. These are gimmicks to increase point totals.

The 24 second shot clock is great for basketball. NBA teams move the ball exponentially better than college teams. Check out NBA teams assist% compared to college teams. All the shorter shot clock does is force them to get into their offense quicker. College teams dribble up the court then the point guard pounds the ball for 15 seconds before they get into their offense.

You've never heard of Zydrunas Ilgauskas? He was a 2-time NBA All-Star and a damn good player who pushed through a myriad of foot and ankle injuries to have a very solid NBA career. He doesn't have the profile of most players who have their number retired, but he's the Cavaliers all-time leader in games played, rebounds, and blocks.

i havent been a big nba fan in several years but i remember this guy pretty well. solid player.

I remember the guy. Had him on a fantasy team from time to time. He is no Larry Bird, Jordan, Magic, or the such but "solid" is a good word to describe him. I do not believe his jersey wouldn't be hanging from the Lakers rafters. To me - the NBA was never cool, but I dont like basketball in general. I attend AU basketball for the love of AU - not basketball. And I only played fantasy basketball because it is a numbers game. I never watched.

• 1 month later...

This years finals have renewed my interest, at least for now. I love watching the Spurs and the way they play basketball. You just don't see that at any level anymore. AAU has ruined basketball IMO.

Archived