SEC officiating coordinator talks 10-second proposal

AU-24

Wonder where Steve Shaw stands on this? Please note some of his comments..."Well, not only safety but the balance of the game"

So what exactly does he mean by balance of the game?

"Shaw also touched of one of the concerns surrounding the up-tempo attack: the officials’ ability to regulate the game and be in position by the time the ball is snapped. Recently, we’ve seen Nick Saban, Mark Richt and Will Muschamp speak out to the officiating concerns up-tempo offenses bring, although all three have differing opinions related directly to the 10-second proposal. Whether or not the officials have efficient time to get lined up will be an ongoing debate over this next year. The umpires generally spot the ball, and Shaw expressed the umpires are encouraged to jog crisply, not run or walk"

Saban's concern over officials getting into place? Well, at first it was player safety for nick. Then, when that wasn't working, it was officials getting into place and regulating the game. So they can't regulate a fast paced offense?

Last game I watched after the umpire stood over the ball until the officials were in place. Am I correct?

http://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/2014/steve-shaw-10-second-proposal/?utm_source=SEC+FANS&utm_campaign=d4412e7046-RSS_EMAIL_CAMPAIGN&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_ec9195cc38-d4412e7046-339116697

You are correct Sir. The munchkin is simply into this mess way over his head.....

Although I really like Steve Shaw a lot and think he is a good man, I will say that I hope that because he is a bama grad that Saban hasn't influenced what he is saying.

This one I will buy IF it has merit. If pace of play is hindering officiating then it should be addressed. But I will say even then, the Big 12 Conference has gone to an 8th official and the conference in general believes the additional ref is beneficial.

Although I really like Steve Shaw a lot and think he is a good man, I will say that I hope that because he is a bama grad that Saban hasn't influenced what he is saying.

too late, it is going to be a controversy over our offense, good and bad

This one I will buy IF it has merit. If pace of play is hindering officiating then it should be addressed. But I will say even then, the Big 12 Conference has gone to an 8th official and the conference in general believes the additional ref is beneficial.

Oh no, that'll never do.... not when ther's holding going on.

Some of these coaches are getting their point across without joining in the Bert/Nick fray. i.e. Will Muschamp

“I could care less about the rule. The only thing I will say is the administration of the game for the officials is very difficult. Example, an offensive team gets a first down. The ball is being snapped before they even set the chains for the next first down. Is that good for the game? I don’t think so. Those things as far as administration for the officials is very difficult and my conversations with [sEC head of officials] Steve Shaw and some of the officials I’m friends with. It becomes very difficult for them to get their eyes where they’re supposed to be and execute their jobs. I don’t think that’s good for the game. So would it be good to have a little slower tempo for the game without slowing down these teams? Sure. But whatever we compromise on, I’ll be fine either way.”

There are coaches that are looking for a "compromise" with or without the rule changed being passed. And, I bet they get a compromise and we will see the officials alter their game management to appease the whiners.

Why not address it by having offseason conditioning drills for the officials?

Why not address it by having offseason conditioning drills for the officials?

Yes, get younger healthier officials. This reminds me of the excuse they used to get rid of the jump ball in basketball with the alternating possession rule. They said referees where having problems throwing the ball up for the taller players coming into the game. If they can find taller players, then get taller referees.

This is a completely fabricated issue. The umpire ( the ref that stands near the LBers) is the one that places the ball. He should stand over the ball until the play is ready to begin. He will stand over it if the chains are being moved, or if the officials need time, or if the offense substitutes players. The system they have now works perfectly fine. These defensive coaches are trying to play mind games with the officials to influence them slow the game down.

This is a completely fabricated issue. The umpire ( the ref that stands near the LBers) is the one that places the ball. He should stand over the ball until the play is ready to begin. He will stand over it if the chains are being moved, or if the officials need time, or if the offense substitutes players. The system they have now works perfectly fine. These defensive coaches are trying to play mind games with the officials to influence them slow the game down.

It will have an effect. Guaranteed.

It will have an effect, but it shouldn't! Very simple solutions:

Add another official, (like some conferences have already done) have the empire stand over the ball to be snapped until the officials, to include the linesmen are in place, (which for the most part they already do or they are supposed to do) then the "O" can snap the ball!

All the other conversations are indeed, the defensive coaches playing mind games, and whining to get their way!

Is it meant to be a continuous sport? Just stop them on 3rd down nick and it won't be continuous at all!

Agree.....just add another official that spots the ball so all the other refs can get set.

It's called the umpire, they already have one.

Two can play that game. Gus and the other up tempo coaches can work the refs too.

there are entirely too many old and old/fat officials.

As a former official there is nothing wrong with some age on a official. Having some experience and wisdom goes a long way in doing that job.

Let's try Canadian football rules and see if they like that. 3 downs to make a first down, but a longer field and bigger end zones. The old style defenses would become jokes

^ The bottom line. The ball is never snapped in college football until the umpire says "All ready".

This was just the next best argument Nick could think of when his "player safety" whine bit the dust.

As a former official there is nothing wrong with some age on a official. Having some experience and wisdom goes a long way in doing that job.

i agree with that, but far too many of them look like they have trouble running to the sidelines.

^ The bottom line. The ball is never snapped in college football until the umpire says "All ready".

This was just the next best argument Nick could think of when his "player safety" whine bit the dust.

Exactly! 100% true! So maybe I am asking too much, but why isn't Redding and Shaw pointing this out?

I don't mean pointing out Saban's whining, but simply clarifying: The ball is never snapped in college football until the umpire says "All ready".

experience is one thing. Having a gut that could double as the spare tire for my semi is another.

experience is one thing. Having a gut that could double as the spare tire for my semi is another.

Being fat and being old are two entirely different subjects. Plenty of fat young people too. Besides working as an official is not an athletic competition. You really don't have to run that much (unless it's a high school 7v7 game holy cow).

Being fat and being old are two entirely different subjects. Plenty of fat young people too. Besides working as an official is not an athletic competition. You really don't have to run that much (unless it's a high school 7v7 game holy cow).

All I know is far too often the officials are out of position and missing calls as a result. With the players being more athletic should we not ask the refs to Be in a little better shape? With the hurry up offense that puts more demand on the refs as well as players. If a man can properly do his job as an official then I don't care if he's 90. The SEC is known for bad officials anyway. They really have not done much to improve things.

Archived