2015 4* LB/S Montavious Atkinson commits to AU!

metafour

4_1239648.jpg

Montavious Atkinson, Star/Safety

Fairburn, GA (Langston Hughes)

6'2 / 205

247Sports: 3*

Rivals: 3*

Scout: 3*

Offers: Auburn, Cincinnati, East Carolina, Georgia State, Kentucky, Mississippi State, Missouri, NC State, North Carolina, Oklahoma State, Purdue, Tennessee, Texas A&M, UCLA, USC, Virginia and Virginia Tech, among others.

Hudl Highlights

Qcltz63e.jpeg

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@SleeperAthletes: #Hughes HS (GA) 2015 3-star LB Montavious Atkinson (@Pob_Dos) commits to the #Auburn #Tigers

"Atkinson's teammate, D'Andre Walker told AUC that Atkinson told him he committed to Auburn."

Keith Niebuhr:

I just spoke with Montavious Atkinson.

He told me he has talked with Charlie Harbison and Coach Rodney Garner and told them he is coming to Auburn. He hasn't yet been able to reach Gus Malzahn.

Harbison and Garner told him, "Welcome to the Family ... They were really excited about it."

Nothing official until he speaks with Gus.

"I've been wanting to do it, and today I really thought about it," Atkinson said. "This is where I want to be."

Atkinson plans to recruit teammate and friend, 4-star DE D'Andre Walker, hard to AU, he told me.

@SleeperAthletes: #Hughes HS (GA) 2015 3-star LB Montavious Atkinson (@Pob_Dos) commits to the #Auburn #Tigers

"Atkinson's teammate, D'Andre Walker told AUC that Atkinson told him he committed to Auburn."

Keith Niebuhr:

I just spoke with Montavious Atkinson.

He told me he has talked with Charlie Harbison and Coach Rodney Garner and told them he is coming to Auburn. He hasn't yet been able to reach Gus Malzahn.

Harbison and Garner told him, "Welcome to the Family ... They were really excited about it."

Nothing official until he speaks with Gus.

"I've been wanting to do it, and today I really thought about it," Atkinson said. "This is where I want to be."

Atkinson plans to recruit teammate and friend, 4-star DE D'Andre Walker, hard to AU, he told me.

Link

Atkinson looks very aggressive in his highlights. He hits hard! Impressive. I would wager he becomes a 4 star during his senior year.

6A football in GA. Region championship team in a hotbed of talent in S Fulton county, same area that Creekside HS and Sandy Creek HS are in. Lots of athletes to compete against in a 15 mile radius, good pick up for AU.

6A football in GA. Region championship team in a hotbed of talent in S Fulton county, same area that Creekside HS and Sandy Creek HS are in. Lots of athletes to compete against in a 15 mile radius, good pick up for AU.

Very familiar with Sandy Creek, they breed college football players. But they're 4A correct?

Very familiar with Sandy Creek, they breed college football players. But they're 4A correct?

Correct. Large 4A but 4A nonetheless.

Actually, Tucker is in Dekalb County and they are in Region 6-AAAAA. Creekside is in the same classification but different region. Now the 6A Classification is comprised of Norcross, Brookwood, Valdosta, McEachern, South Cobb, Camden County etc.

Georgia has always had talent. But the population influx we have seen over the last 20 years, especially around Atlanta, has had an enormous impact on High School sports. Add to that the number of current and retired professional athletes who live around here, and whose kids also excel athletically and you get what we have now. TALENT!

Actually, Tucker is in Dekalb County and they are in Region 6-AAAAA. Creekside is in the same classification but different region. Now the 6A Classification is comprised of Norcross, Brookwood, Valdosta, McEachern, South Cobb, Camden County etc.

Georgia has always had talent. But the population influx we have seen over the last 20 years, especially around Atlanta, has had an enormous impact on High School sports. Add to that the number of current and retired professional athletes who live around here, and whose kids also excel athletically and you get what we have now. TALENT!

Most moved-to metro area in the country 6 years running, isn't it? Crazy.

He is rumored to be High Jumping 6'-04" this Spring and is just now learning the technique. There is going to be a premium on guys like this is comming years. The ability to play sideline to sideline will be a requirement at more positions than just DB.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

He has been somewhat focal about the crowded Star position in this class. It seems to be a hot spot for us right now, it will be interesting to see how the class ends up.

UGA offers Auburn commit after camp

By Michael Carvell

UGA offered arguably the top performer at Thursday’s 7-on-7 football camp.

And that player was Montavious Atkinson, a 3-star linebacker from Langston Hughes High School who is committed to Auburn.

Atkinson simply dominated the star-studded competition through the day, lining up at wide receiver and catching around 16 touchdowns to lead his team to the championship over Grayson. On defense, Atkinson altered between linebacker and his future college position of safety.

Before the 6-foot-2, 200-pounder boarded his school bus for the ride to Atlanta, he chatted with UGA defensive coordinator Jeremy Pruitt.

“He was telling me how much he liked how I made plays and my physicality,” Atkinson said. “He said ‘You have a full scholarship and I want you to be a Dawg.’

“That kind of caught me off guard because I didn’t know about it. I didn’t know it was coming. But after they told me about it, I felt excited because I grew up as a Georgia fan and I never thought that I would have that offer and Georgia would be somewhere I could go to.”

How will the UGA offer affect Atkinson’s commitment to Auburn? “I can’t really say too much,” he said. “I can look into it, but I can’t really say too much.

“I mean, it was a great feeling just to have the offer. But I can’t really say too much. War Eagle, so … It doesn’t affect my commitment that much at all. I can look into it. I’m still going to look around and weigh my options, but I’m committed to Auburn.”

If anything, Atkinson will likely rise in the recruiting rankings. He’s currently rated as the state’s No. 71 overall prospect in the 247sports composite rankings. He may not have the ideal size or speed, but he simply makes plays and has a tireless work ethic. There were dozen of elite D1 prospects at Thursday’s event, and Atkinson was the best player on the field in almost every game he played in.

Note: Atkinson’s high school teammate is 4-star defensive end D’Andre Walker, who also has Auburn and UGA among his favorites. They wouldn’t mind playing together in college but they’re not a package deal. “We used to talk about that a long time ago, but I haven’t asked him about that in a while,” Atkinson said.

- See more at: http://recruiting.blog.ajc.com/2014/06/05/uga-offers-auburn-commit-after-camp/#sthash.7bz1uIPw.dpuf

Atkinson seems concerned about the depth at safety so he is probably going to decommit imo

Between safety and star it shouldn't be an issue. Especially if he redshirts a year. Moncrief and Garret graduate after next year leaving us the 2 freshmen at star. We'll have 6 guys at safety but to date, none of them have played or played much.

Archived