Recruiting

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest jojo1515

Technically, the recruiting thread is for all sports (though 99 percent has been football). I think Bruce is gonna force this site to adapt....and split recruiting into football, bball and all others. Willie Atwood, one of the nations top Juco PFs has already expressed interest and a hope to visit!!! AU Bball just hit a never before seen level of national prominence without BP having even had a press conference yet. Its gonna be a fun ride!

Technically, the recruiting thread is for all sports (though 99 percent has been football). I think Bruce is gonna force this site to adapt....and split recruiting into football, bball and all others. Willie Atwood, one of the nations top Juco PFs has already expressed interest and a hope to visit!!! AU Bball just hit a never before seen level of national prominence without BP having even had a press conference yet. Its gonna be a fun ride!

thats what I like to hear! we need to start a basketball recruiting thread!

Every recruit in the country that is watching ESPN's coverage of the Tourney is getting a dose of Pearl. This is awesome!

He can't recruit until late August, but apparently his name alone is worth a lot to some recruits:

Garrett Tucker@GTuckerF150

Bruce Pearl effect already beginning in recruiting. High-level recruit says he is going to be very interested in Auburn now with hire

But Auburn can appeal to the NCAA to drop the sanctions before then, right?

Also, isn't the restriction only for travel. He can still recruit from Auburn?

He can't recruit until late August, but apparently his name alone is worth a lot to some recruits:

Bruce Pearl effect already beginning in recruiting. High-level recruit says he is going to be very interested in Auburn now with hire

I suppose they could but the likelihood of success is remote. The NCAA could simply just take their time about it and just let the penalties end on their own in August without ever making a ruling of any kind.

I am not certain if he can have any contact with recruits except on campus. I don't know if he can phone them or anything like that.

I suppose they could but the likelihood of success is remote. The NCAA could simply just take their time about it and just let the penalties end on their own in August without ever making a ruling of any kind.

I am not certain if he can have any contact with recruits except on campus. I don't know if he can phone them or anything like that.

Just an opinion here, but I believe the NCAA will lift the suspension as they have gotten blasted for how overly harsh it was and Pearl has done everything right, took his punishment and never whined about it...also Auburn has the right guys on their Athletic staff to make this appeal happen and quickly....His full return is huge for college basketball, the NCAA knows this.

i dont think auburn will or should ask them to lift the suspension early. im sure they have a plan in place to recruit and knew the penalties upfront.

I imagine Bruce has a plan with regards to 'cruitin. Besides, worst case is August and then it should be full on. Anything other than that is a bonus.

Just an opinion here, but I believe the NCAA will lift the suspension as they have gotten blasted for how overly harsh it was and Pearl has done everything right, took his punishment and never whined about it...also Auburn has the right guys on their Athletic staff to make this appeal happen and quickly....His full return is huge for college basketball, the NCAA knows this.

The way he talked this morning, it doesn't sound as if he is thinking they will be lifted.early

i dont think auburn will or should ask them to lift the suspension early. im sure they have a plan in place to recruit and knew the penalties upfront.

Why? That makes no sense.

Pearl talked about getting clarification on some things. He wants yo know if he can talk to players already signed but not yet enrolled. Asking for an early lifting is not on the agenda.

Garrett Tucker ‏@GTuckerF150

Must not know we wear UA shoes.

No.. He can not talk to unsigned recruits anywhere. The only kids he can talk to right now are Longwood and Purchase.

BP accepted his penalties 3years ago. Auburn is/was fully aware of all this when they reached out. Under what basis would you think they would ask for the length of penalty to be reduced? I don't look at it like prison where you get reduced time for good behavior. You just hired a guy who was penalized for breaking rules and lying. You don't ask for special treatment. That is just my opinion. My question to you is , under what grounds do you request this? And could it possibly agitate the situation with the NCAA and/or public perception.

Never hurts to ask. "If" it gets lifted early, that's just a bonus for AU, 'cause Bruce is going to blow up this conference real quick.

BP accepted his penalties 3years ago. Auburn is/was fully aware of all this when they reached out. Under what basis would you think they would ask for the length of penalty to be reduced? I don't look at it like prison where you get reduced time for good behavior. You just hired a guy who was penalized for breaking rules and lying. You don't ask for special treatment. That is just my opinion. My question to you is , under what grounds do you request this? And could it possibly agitate the situation with the NCAA and/or public perception.

There is no precedent for this. The "show cause" penalty is relatively new, and this is the first time a coach has been hired before his show cause expired. JJ and Bruce have both said they are going to operate under the assumption that it will remain in effect for the full term, but they were going to explore the options and talk to the NCAA. I don't think the NCAA even has any procedures or regulations in place for this kind of thing, so they might have to make it up as they go along (which would strongly favor not changing things now). The only logical argument for reducing the penalty is the length of time it took for the NCAA to impose it (from the end of the basketball season in March until August). He was essentially operating under a de facto show cause during that 5 months, so he has already missed 3 full years of coaching.

Auburn and the NCAA are also talking to get clarification on exactly what he is and is not allowed to do during the remainder of the show cause. He's doing a great job so far of staying in front of the public and selling the program to potential recruits in a general sense.

There is no precedent for this. The "show cause" penalty is relatively new, and this is the first time a coach has been hired before his show cause expired. JJ and Bruce have both said they are going to operate under the assumption that it will remain in effect for the full term, but they were going to explore the options and talk to the NCAA. I don't think the NCAA even has any procedures or regulations in place for this kind of thing, so they might have to make it up as they go along (which would strongly favor not changing things now). The only logical argument for reducing the penalty is the length of time it took for the NCAA to impose it (from the end of the basketball season in March until August). He was essentially operating under a de facto show cause during that 5 months, so he has already missed 3 full years of coaching.

Auburn and the NCAA are also talking to get clarification on exactly what he is and is not allowed to do during the remainder of the show cause. He's doing a great job so far of staying in front of the public and selling the program to potential recruits in a general sense.

Even if they do look at things, I doubt they decide anything in time to make any real difference. That assumes they even care to revisit the issue in the first place.

now, from that point of view i could see the logic!

I would love to see Bruce Pearl take back the state in recruiting starting with Daniel Purifoy in 2015 and Josh Lankford in 2016. Both are top 40 players, and getting Lankford would put us back in Huntsville.

I would love to see Bruce Pearl take back the state in recruiting starting with Daniel Purifoy in 2015 and Josh Lankford in 2016. Both are top 40 players, and getting Lankford would put us back in Huntsville.

Early word is Josh is liking UNC right now, of course now that Bruce is with the good guys, anything is possible. And it's Langford btw. WDE.

Archived