Tigers secondary

AUbritt

I really like the sound of what I'm hearing about Moncrief. Here's a good article.

I believe we'll be even better in the secondary this season, despite some key losses. What say y'all?

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's the first I've heard about Moncrief so far this Spring. Things sounding better back there definitely. To be honest, I'd rather have Moncrief at a true safety position rather than at Star just because we need the depth and the size he brings to the table. If he can fill out that role well enough, and I think this is contigent on him learning the scheme like Holsey did, Holsey can probably then move back to corner. But we definitely need Brandon King and Khari Harding to step up back there as well to provide some depth.

That is AUsome to hear! Keep up the hard work young man..that secoundary will be h#!! on wheels if you are SEC ready with your size and athleticism.

Some notes on the play of Auburn's pass-defense:

Here are Auburn's secondary averages from 1996-2013, compared to 2013 production...

01) Interception Ratio (1 every 28.6 att): 1 every 37.9 in 2013 up from 1 every 179 attempts in 2012.

02) TD Ratio (1 every 24.1 att): 1 every 27.4 in 2013 up from 1 every 17.9 attempts in 2012.

03) Pass Breakups (1 every 8.0 att): 1 every 8.8 attempts up from 1 every 9 attempts in 2012.

04) Big plays allowed (1 every 26.8 att): 1 every 17.6 att in 2013 down from 1 every 25.6 attempts in 2012.

It's going to be interesting to see how things shake out at Safety because that really dictates personnel at other positions. If Moncrief can take the starting Boundary spot and Khari Harding (making some noise early in spring ball) or Brandon King steps into the backup spot (or heck let's just say that position is manned by two of those three). Then you'd have Whitehead and the two Boundary positions filled. From what I understand, Jonathan Ford looks good at Field Safety, and we have hopes that Stephen Roberts can compete at that spot right away.

Let's say one of those two take the backup spot at Field Safety. Now you move Holsey down to CB, which means Holsey and Jones likely take the Boundary, and you have Reed and Melton competing to backup Mincy. Then, you add Bessent to the Field CB competition.

That look would allow us to keep Therezie, Alexander, and Garrett at Star (with Garrett rotating down to OLB at times). That would provide more continuity, which is always a positive.

I think we will be much improved in the secondary and we need it, that is the biggest area we need to improve to make this defense better. If Moncrief can lock that safety spot down, it will give Ellis a lot of options with the other players so it's important.

Some notes on the play of Auburn's pass-defense:

Here are Auburn's secondary averages from 1996-2013, compared to 2013 production...

01) Interception Ratio (1 every 28.6 att): 1 every 37.9 in 2013 up from 1 every 179 attempts in 2012.

02) TD Ratio (1 every 24.1 att): 1 every 27.4 in 2013 up from 1 every 17.9 attempts in 2012.

03) Pass Breakups (1 every 8.0 att): 1 every 8.8 attempts up from 1 every 9 attempts in 2012.

04) Big plays allowed (1 every 26.8 att): 1 every 17.6 att in 2013 down from 1 every 25.6 attempts in 2012.

Thanks, Stat. What do you mean by TD Ratio? That opponents scored a TD every 27.4 snaps last season?

I'd love to know more about this experiment with Garrett in the secondary. More than a bit odd, but intriguing.

Our star position is a secondary player. Isn't that where he was playing last year before injury?

I'd love to know more about this experiment with Garrett in the secondary. More than a bit odd, but intriguing.

Our star position is a secondary player. Isn't that where he was playing last year before injury?

Yup, and he was really excelling there.

Then I dunno why people are curious to him playing the secondary. Safeties and star position provide run support all the time.

Then I dunno why people are curious to him playing the secondary. Safeties and star position provide run support all the time.

Some folks have been up in arms about all of the personnel "shifts" (only a handful of which are possibly permanent; also, as you said, some aren't really even changes).

Moncrief is going to be a big deal for us this year IMO. Other guys are already saying that they like playing with him. We haven't had a physical safety in forever it seems!

Well, Ryan Smith was really physical last year. He was better against the run than Therezie. If we're talking about a message-sender in coverage, I'll agree. Smith didn't have the quickest reaction time in the back and wasn't an enforcer in the passing game. He was, however, an essential part of our improved run defense at the end of the season.

I'm very much looking forward to seeing Moncrief, and I'm very hopeful about Khari Harding taking a step forward at the Boundary Safety spot as well. That would be a huge development.

Pulling this over from mcgufcm's roster thread:

Star: Therezie (Sr)*, Alexander (So), Garrett (Sr or Jr) - splitting time at OLB

Possible additions: Moncrief (Jr), King (Sr)

CB: Mincy (Sr)*, Jones (Jr), Reed (Sr), Melton (So), Davis (RS So)

Possible additions: Holsey (Jr) - health, Ford (So)

Coming fall: Ruffin (Fr), Bessent (Fr), Roberts (Fr), Turner (Jr)

Safety: Whitehead (Sr)*, Moncrief (Jr), King (Sr), VanGorder (Jr), Ford (So), Harding (RS Fr)

Possible additions: Therezie (Sr), Holsey (Jr) - health

Coming fall: Boston (Fr), Roberts (Fr), Turner (Jr)

Still looking pretty accurate? I removed Bessent's legal disclaimer and Trent Fisher, and maybe some of the "possible additions" are a little different. Mainly I just thought I'd add a little visual aid to this thread.

It still sounds accurate except that Ford appears to be settled at Safety (not CB) and there's been no movement on Therezie (so he's probably not a possible addition at Safety).

I would love from Moncrief to become that headhunter at safety. Anyone else having visions of a Kam Chancellor-type safety roaming the middle of the field?

They are similar in terms of height and weight. I had forgotten Moncrief was that big.

Archived