Starting RB for the 2014 season will be?

ClaytonAU

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Starting RB for the season may not be who starts game 1, but the "feature back" will be whoever best shows out during the first 3 games IMO, just like last year.

Starting RB for the season may not be who starts game 1, but the "feature back" will be whoever best shows out during the first 3 games IMO, just like last year.

Agreed. Right now I think CAP and Grant are neck and neck, with CAP ultimately winning, just because Grant will also have to play the speed role.

Agreed. Right now I think CAP and Grant are neck and neck, with CAP ultimately winning, just because Grant will also have to play the speed role.

Not necessarily. If Grant proves to be an every down back that opens the door to Truitt being the speed guy from the slot position.

I say it will be CAP, he has those quick feet just like Tre. It's important for AU to have it's Senior RBs have an NFL year and follow right behind Tre. Grant can also get drafted with a good year but in a different role. The rest of the RBs will have several more chances, so as long as we can win with our 2 Seniors, let's get them in the NFL if possible. That will attract even more great RBs in '15 and beyond.

For line up purposes it will be CAP IMO. I picture the RB situation playing out like last year. CAP will get the majority of reps with Peyton getting his fair share to see who separates. Corey Grant will def. see a good amount of touches as well but i still see him as being a major focus as a scat back but i do think he'll get more opportunities to show if he can consistently run up the middle with success. Depending on who fast Peyton is able to adjust to SEC play i just imagine it is going to be hard to not give him a good share of touches.

I loved what Tre did but it would be great to have a one two punch with CAP and Peyton and Grant as the X factor. We're able to keep guys fresh and put the defenses at a major disadvantage.

CAP will emerge as the #1 guy similarly to the way Mason did, after about 4 or 5 games.To start the season, I kind of expect a by committee approach.

In no way am I criticizing CAP, but the only thing I think that could keep him from getting the job is he doesn't seem to have that unstoppable determination to get that one extra yard or one extra inch. Tre seemed to always be stopped but somehow eek out another little piece before going down. I haven't seen that from CAP yet. YET. Not that he isn't capable of it but I want to see it. That's by far my favorite thing about Tre and I love the intensity it brings to the offense. With that said, I can't make up my mind between CAP and Barber.. however, I see Grant touching the ball a lot more than last year. Maybe more catching passes out of the backfield for him this year.

Auburn starting RB will be the SEC rushing leader again. I don't know who it will be and i bet Gus don't either.

In no way am I criticizing CAP, but the only thing I think that could keep him from getting the job is he doesn't seem to have that unstoppable determination to get that one extra yard or one extra inch. Tre seemed to always be stopped but somehow eek out another little piece before going down. I haven't seen that from CAP yet. YET. Not that he isn't capable of it but I want to see it. That's by far my favorite thing about Tre and I love the intensity it brings to the offense. With that said, I can't make up my mind between CAP and Barber.. however, I see Grant touching the ball a lot more than last year. Maybe more catching passes out of the backfield for him this year.

I have a feeling that when CAP is the feature back, we will see those yards after contact from him even more. He is going to have a sense of urgency this year.

I think that we start off the season with Barber, CAP, and Grant all splitting carries. Like last year, we see one of the three emerge into our feature back roll. Does anyone think Pettway or Roc have a shot at getting some carries or do they both redshirt?

I think it will be Roc. I think for the first few games they will all get similar carries then you will start to see Roc emerge as the most talented back of the group. If he does start I think Dyer needs to be worried about losing his freshman rushing record

I have a feeling that when CAP is the feature back, we will see those yards after contact from him even more. He is going to have a sense of urgency this year.

I think it was a combination of determination and Tre's really, really unusual ability to sustain forward progress even with his body almost parallel to the ground. It's the same thing that made Dyer special. Just an uncanny sense of balance, low center of gravity and leg drive. Either way, you're right, it will be tough to replicate.

But who knows. There were times when CAP looked special to me in a different way, like the TD he scored in the SECCG. I realize it was late and the defenders were tired, but I find it mighty impressive that he was able to run straight up the middle and through at least 4 defenders without getting touched (2nd play in the video). Extremely nimble feet:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gLNzGZeqmgg

Gun to my head, I'm guessing that he gets the bulk of the carries, but I don't think the disparity between his carries and those of the RBs behind him will be as large as between Tre's and the others last season.

Speaking of the number of carries, that will be really interesting to watch. Somebody with a legitimate opinion somewhere- if not a coach himself- stated a target of 5-10 more pass attempts a game. That could result in 60-100 fewer carries for the RBs over a season. Of course, if our offense hits the ground running- no pun intended- like we hope it will, then we might have a couple more games decided by or early in the 4th quarter, which could result in more clock-eating runs late... and more carries for the "backups". Also, we might increase the tempo and have 5-10 more plays per game. Lots of variables.

And speaking of increased pass attempts, pass blocking might figure heavily into who gets the most reps. I have no idea who the best blocker might be.

Corey Grant was so lethal in his role last year, I'm not sure if Gus will want to mix it up too much with him. It does seem, though, like the opportunity to pass to all RBs a little more is there. And I do believe that he's capable of running between the tackles. But nobody else on the team is capable of doing what he can on the edge, I don't think.

I really hope we can redshirt the freshmen.

Barber

Damn right, nobody knew that TM was going to smoke the SEC, but he proved in 2012 he was a player. Hope they all carry it 20 x a game. Just want to see it unfold and listen to the broadcasters trying to decide if its the back, or the o line or the coaching. But it will be the motor of the monster truck called the Gus Bus.

Little doc

I like our chances with all our backs this year. I feel like I know what Cap and Grant can do based on last year and they will not disappoint. I would be lying if I did not say I am looking forward to seeing what Barber, Roc, and Pettway can do as well. It will be fun to watch.

Does anyone have an opinion on Pettway?

Redshirt....i'm hoping. We're loaded at RB. Pending an injury (which i pray does not happen) I see Roc getting whatever carries are left between CAP, Grant and Peyton. If Roc is as good as advertised he cut into Peyton's carries...who knows. I'm just glad we're RBU again! :)

I think CAP has the major role in the first half of the season but Roc gets more and more carries as the year goes along. Grant will get a lot of carries as the speed back and catching short passes out of the backfield. I look for all 3 to be major factors. I think Pettaway redshirts and bulks up to eventually be the H back.

I think CAP has the major role in the first half of the season but Roc gets more and more carries as the year goes along. Grant will get a lot of carries as the speed back and catching short passes out of the backfield. I look for all 3 to be major factors. I think Pettaway redshirts and bulks up to eventually be the H back.

. Barber also works in the rotation at running back with CAP and Roc.

Archived