Redevelopment of Samford Park at Toomer’s Corner

RunInRed

I really hope there is some sort of plaque or something to memorialize the vandalism conducted by a bammer. It should be a legend that shames them.

And for the ones who try to dissociate Updike from their University, tough luck.

You've got him like it or not. He became a hero to far too many of you. It will be a permanent blot on your so called tradition. As it should be.

As for rolling Toomers, it started with the electrical wires crossing the intersection. I am fine with going back to something similar that doesn't involve a tree.

they are beyond shame. No hope.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I really hope there is some sort of plaque or something to memorialize the vandalism conducted by a bammer. It should be a legend that shames them.

And for the ones who try to dissociate Updike from their University, tough luck.

You've got him like it or not. He became a hero to far too many of you. It will be a permanent blot on your so called tradition. As it should be.

As for rolling Toomers, it started with the electrical wires crossing the intersection. I am fine with going back to something similar that doesn't involve a tree.

So you want Harvey Updyke to be commemorated at Toomers Corner?

That is the most insane idea I have ever heard. Good Lord, NO!

Please go back and re-read my posts. That's not what I said at all.

Please pay particular attention to post #22. (Right above your post.)

Sorry, homer, but that is how it will be interpreted, regardless of your intent. I agree it is a bad idea.

No one will forget what happened. And if 100 years from now some freshman doesn't know the story, it will be because the new trees are far more glorious than the old ones.

I hope the freshman always learn the story. The deep hatred for ignorance and turdsturds should prevail

It's always concerned me how uat and few other schools (ie lsu) seem to attract a very spooky fringe element. Add an instate, world-class rivalry and it's a recipe for bad. And the incidents have gone tragically beyond toomers. When Auburn wins, be proactive and call 911. That being said, no sense blaming bama and I don't really care if a guy needing serious meds feels if he won or lost. No point in trying to understand crazy.

It should be beautiful, time to turn a sad page, and hope that bama's running out of crazies....

It's always concerned me how uat and few other schools (ie lsu) seem to attract a very spooky fringe element. Add an instate, world-class rivalry and it's a recipe for bad. And the incidents have gone tragically beyond toomers. When Auburn wins, be proactive and call 911. That being said, no sense blaming bama and I don't really care if a guy needing serious meds feels if he won or lost. No point in trying to understand crazy.

It should be beautiful, time to turn a sad page, and hope that bama's running out of crazies....

with the way they breed they will never run out.

• 3 weeks later...

The site is now free of poison! Great work, guys!

http://www.auburn.ed...ation140428.pdf

The project team is very excited to declare the site clear after over three years of first trying to save the historic Oaks, remorsefully taking them down and now fully remediating the site for new trees to be transplanted. The initial testing in January 2011 found the soil around the trees in the planters to have levels as high as 51.7 parts per million or 51,700 parts per billion while the most recent pre-remediation sampling across the site outside the planters having levels as high 67.7 parts per billion. We are excited to report that the highest tebuthiuron detected across the site is not greater than one part per billion and at six foot deep at the old planter location the greatest detection was found to be six parts per billion with a plan in place to ensure there will be no tebuthiuron effect on the future trees.

Group hug!! Bring it in guys. :grouphug:

:thumbsup:

And I'm pretty sure this day was coming, whether sooner or later. The trees were hanging on, as is, but weren't going to make it too much longer 10 years, maybe 20 ? This project was eventually gonna happen. The debate would have been, do we remove BOTH trees, at once, or take one and then a few years later, do the other.

I think, in the end, cost analysis and feasibility and aesthetic reasons would have lead us down to where we are now.

The greatness is that we are united in progress and tradition. The A-Day game in 2013 closed the first chapter. The Miracle an Kick Six christened the new chapter. Cannot imagine the arguments about how to redevelop the entrance without the defilement.

"That which does not kill us makes us stronger."

Ray Nitschke

The greatness is that we are united in progress and tradition. The A-Day game in 2013 closed the first chapter. The Miracle an Kick Six christened the new chapter. Cannot imagine the arguments about how to redevelop the entrance without the defilement.

Ray Nitschke

Sorry, but wherever you got the quote from has misattributed it.

It's from Friedrich Nietzsche:

“What does not kill me makes me stronger.”

(“Was mich nicht umbringt macht mich stärker.”)

I appreciate the sentiment, though, and agree that the Auburn Family has been made stronger by Updyke's inanity.

Ray Nitschke

Sorry, but wherever you got the quote from has misattributed it.

It's from Friedrich Nietzsche:

“What does not kill me makes me stronger.”

(“Was mich nicht umbringt macht mich stärker.”)

I appreciate the sentiment, though, and agree that the Auburn Family has been made stronger by Updyke's inanity.

That's probably his joke. I seem to recall also seeing that mis-attribution to Nitschke on some comedy channel something or other.

Good News. Do we still have to wait plant replacement trees, or is that happening right now?

Trees won't go in until early 2015.

Yep. Still a lot of work to be done. An impermeable membrane will be put around the excavated area to prevent poison from leaching back in, and a drainage system to carry off excess ground water. They could be ready to plant them late summer/early fall, but they wanted a full growing season before exposing them to fans.

Trees won't go in until early 2015.

Yep. Still a lot of work to be done. An impermeable membrane will be put around the excavated area to prevent poison from leaching back in, and a drainage system to carry off excess ground water. They could be ready to plant them late summer/early fall, but they wanted a full growing season before exposing them to fans.

Thanks RIR and 84 for the updates.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

It looks so lonely without the Oak Tress. But thank you for posting those pictures and keeping us updated. I live in Bham and I don't get to come to Auburn like I did when I was younger. I really miss the Plains on Gameday weekends.

So do we just roll the construction site this year? I still think an Auburn designed synthetic tree like the one at Animal kingdom in DisneyWorld would've been awesome.

So do we just roll the construction site this year? I still think an Auburn designed synthetic tree like the one at Animal kingdom in DisneyWorld would've been awesome.

yes and they could carve out Auburn legends or scenes into the tree instead of the animals on the tree at Disney

yes and they could carve out Auburn legends or scenes into the tree instead of the animals on the tree at Disney

An unkillable tree-- I like it.

An unkillable tree-- I like it.

If only... the tree at Disney is starting to deteriorate. They've had to put up nets around it to keep debris from hitting people when it falls. It may be fake, but dies in its own way.

Archived