Redevelopment of Samford Park at Toomer’s Corner

RunInRed

Phase I of the redevelopment and enhancement of Samford Park at Toomer’s Corner is scheduled to begin Wednesday, April 2.

Phase I includes the installation of new pavers, soil replacement and a circular seating wall. This work is expected to be completed prior to the start of the fall 2014 semester. Phase I also includes the planting of new trees, which will take place in early 2015.

Capture.png

http://wireeagle.auburn.edu/news/5858

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hate to say it but Harvey provided some motivation to make a change that was over-due IMO.

That gateway to AU was pretty non-descript and the new entry will be in keeping with the wonderful improvements made all over the campus in the past 5+ years.

I started to AU in 1959 and for the next 25- 30 years, the campus did not seem to change radically...sure it grew larger but the general appearance was about the same for the most part. Sometime in the late 1980s or early 1990s, I recall seeing renderings of the proposed "master plan" ... the drawings were set up in the old Student Union on football weekends and offered an impressive view of what the campus could be over time.

Congratulations to a succession of Presidents and other administrators who made it all possible....and to the many alums who have made significant gifts for the new buildings all over the campus.

He thought by killing the oaks, it would Auburn and the Auburn Family. Insteed, it's made the Auburn Family grow even stronger and tighter.

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, seeing this makes me hate Bama even more. I know our end product will look great, but this should have never happened and all this work should not be required. I appreciate the update posts and pics.

It's going to look and be better than ever. Please keep us posted with the lastest news and pictures. Thank you.

I have lost track of how many things have backfired on Bama ever since this travesty AND especially since Coach Gus Malzahn took the helm. They continue to make themselves, by their own hands (can't say brains), the laughingstock of the entire nation in issues from "top" (wee top, at that) to "process." I will enjoy seeing "(one more) thing of beauty become a joy forever" on Toomer's Corner. This PLUS the unquenchable spirit of Auburn? Reeks of the Grinch and Whoville yet again, now doesn't it? Christmas trees, Toomer's trees...can't silence the Auburn Family...

conductorwhoville.jpg

The Oaks are gone, but the Auburn Family is closer, stronger and tighter then ever and we will never die. The tree killer thought by killing our oak trees, it would bring down Auburn Family. He was wrong. Dead wrong. It's brought us closer then ever.

I have lost track of how many things have backfired on Bama ever since this travesty AND especially since Coach Gus Malzahn took the helm. They continue to make themselves, by their own hands (can't say brains), the laughingstock of the entire nation in issues from "top" (wee top, at that) to "process." I will enjoy seeing "(one more) thing of beauty become a joy forever" on Toomer's Corner. This PLUS the unquenchable spirit of Auburn? Reeks of the Grinch and Whoville yet again, now doesn't it? Christmas trees, Toomer's trees...can't silence the Auburn Family...

conductorwhoville.jpg

You are right--I never thought about it in this way!

I really hope there is some sort of plaque or something to memorialize the vandalism conducted by a bammer. It should be a legend that shames them.

And for the ones who try to dissociate Updike from their University, tough luck.

You've got him like it or not. He became a hero to far too many of you. It will be a permanent blot on your so called tradition. As it should be.

As for rolling Toomers, it started with the electrical wires crossing the intersection. I am fine with going back to something similar that doesn't involve a tree.

In many ways, Auburn great season started on A-Day LY. It was the "last rolling" and was a huge day for Auburn, the football team, the city, the fan, and alumn.

Let's continue to build on this, and make this new park and tree's a rebirth of the long tradition it once was. So many kids became AU fans LY not by the ADay game, but by being part of a great tradition....

Never Ever, let the Spirit of Auburn Die....... Ever.

I really hope there is some sort of plaque or something to memorialize the vandalism conducted by a bammer. It should be a legend that shames

AU has too much class to put this low life's name here. Think about it.

I really hope there is some sort of plaque or something to memorialize the vandalism conducted by a bammer. It should be a legend that shames

AU has too much class to put this low life's name here. Think about it.

It doesn't have to mention his name, UA or the fact they were poisoned. Just a small, obscure plaque - or brick for that matter - that just designates where the original trees grew on this site. That's all it has to say.

Make this a legend that no one forgets.

I really hope there is some sort of plaque or something to memorialize the vandalism conducted by a bammer. It should be a legend that shames them.

And for the ones who try to dissociate Updike from their University, tough luck.

You've got him like it or not. He became a hero to far too many of you. It will be a permanent blot on your so called tradition. As it should be.

As for rolling Toomers, it started with the electrical wires crossing the intersection. I am fine with going back to something similar that doesn't involve a tree.

So you want Harvey Updyke to be commemorated at Toomers Corner?

That is the most insane idea I have ever heard. Good Lord, NO!

Please go back and re-read my posts. That's not what I said at all.

Please pay particular attention to post #22. (Right above your post.)

Please go back and re-read my posts. That's not what I said at all.

Please pay particular attention to post #22. (Right above your post.)

Sorry, homer, but that is how it will be interpreted, regardless of your intent. I agree it is a bad idea.

No one will forget what happened. And if 100 years from now some freshman doesn't know the story, it will be because the new trees are far more glorious than the old ones.

Archived