2017 JUCO ATH D'Anfernee McGriff

RunInRed

• Replies 406
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He is a great offensive player and a matchup nightmare, but he could be an elite defender with all that size and athleticism.

We need to keep him, and I'm pretty sure we will.

It's funny that RB is being mentioned because I have been thinking about that but never posted on it. I had been thinking that even though we are loaded at RB, with his size, speed and the way he has been playing at RB this year, we should consider him at RB. Sounds like some others have had the same thoughts.

line him and KJ up at WR with Roc or Jovon in the backfield and just watch the defensive player's heads explode

That will be all fine and dandy folks, but we will have our first new center in 4 years. JJ maybe running for his life a bit till the Oline gels. Look at what happened to Oregon this weekend. All the speed and skill the in world means nothing if the Oline isn't clicking. I bet coach Grimes is going pure old school on our line this week for not being physical enough. It is probably a good thing he is not doing an interview.

That will be all fine and dandy folks, but we will have our first new center in 4 years. JJ maybe running for his life a bit till the Oline gels. Look at what happened to Oregon this weekend. All the speed and skill the in world means nothing if the Oline isn't clicking. I bet coach Grimes is going pure old school on our line this week for not being physical enough. It is probably a good thing he is not doing an interview.

A couple of things. I don't in any way expect Dampeer to be as good as Reese but by all reports he has done very well since coming to AU. Also Grimes was not that upset with the OL given how much K State was twisting up front and then shooting the gaps with the back 7. That's something I think they had not seen before. Expect the staff to adjust. With that said Grimes was not upset with the OL but not happy with them either.

Physicality wasn't really the problem with the OL this past week. The guys they blocked got blocked. It was the guys that weren't blocked at all that were the problem. If you want to complain about the physicality of the WR corps's blocking, that would be more accurate, and also a lot more pertinent to D'Anfernee McGriff (who certainly appears to have the physicality to be a strong blocker on the perimeter).

Agree on the OL issues. We missed more assignments than normal, but the bigger way the aggressive back-7 disrupted us was our pulling guards (or pulling tackle/center in some cases) weren't able to get to the play side quickly enough. There were multiple plays where Slade or Young were standing upright with no one to block while a LB made the play in their gap. They just didn't get to the gap quickly enough. It hasn't been a problem. I don't expect it to remain a problem, but the issue wasn't a lack of physicality.

The WR blocking was horrible. Sammie, in particular, had a very bad game in that regard, and you could see Dameyune giving him an earful, on more than one occasion, for missed blocks or an inability to stay engaged. They took him off the field for Ray when we were trying to salt the game away. I assume that was done precisely for that reason. Ray is a better blocker. They'll get it sorted out. I'm not particularly worried on that front.

As for next year, Dampeer has looked very good in limited action and spring games. I don't expect him to be Dismukes, who is the best center in the SEC, but I expect him to be consistent and good. The center spot isn't really a concern (or shouldn't be). You could see a very experienced line next year if everyone is back. Sub Kozan for Slade, Dampeer for Dismukes, and that would be a very good unit with pretty solid cohesion.

On D'Penny, I suspect he'll be a WR at Auburn, but he'll be used in the run game. Basically, he could be Ricardo Louis with more size. If he can catch consistently, that's a real weapon.

The big upside with this kid is simply the many options he brings to the table. Just get him signed up with the good guys and see where it goes. He can obviously play a multitude of different postions and will help out no matter where he's at on the field.

• 3 weeks later...

The Keith jinx happened again. For the 4th time this season an AU commit has gotten hurt at a game Keith Niebuhr has attended. DM hurt his right knee is the first quarter of the game tonight. He already had 62 yards rushing on 7 carries when he went out. He did not return. Team docs tested his knee and the tests were good. D'Anfernee will be fine.

His team got spanked by its cross team rival in its own stadium last night. They looked improved early on but haven't been able to win many games this year. My nephew is his left guard, and god willing will be entertaining offers of his own next year.

His team got spanked by its cross team rival in its own stadium last night. They looked improved early on but haven't been able to win many games this year. My nephew is his left guard, and god willing will be entertaining offers of his own next year.

Devil:

Did you see the game? Just wondering because the other team had John Burt at receiver and we agree recruiting him hard.

• 3 months later...

Florida is recruiting him as a RB per KN. CDC just talked to him, McGriff tweets about it.

LRGvJE2i_normal.jpeg D'anfernee Mcgriff @Dmcgriff1 · 53m 53 minutes ago

That talk with coach Craig was well needed!

LRGvJE2i_normal.jpeg D'anfernee Mcgriff @Dmcgriff1 · 46m 46 minutes ago

Be loyal to the ones who been loyal to you! #WDE

Good to hear!! I think he stays committed and qualifies. You think he's going for Ivey, Cowart or Holland? I read somewhere that CeCe was going to Ole Miss next weekend.

Florida is recruiting him as a RB per KN. CDC just talked to him, McGriff tweets about it.

LRGvJE2i_normal.jpeg D'anfernee Mcgriff @Dmcgriff1 · 53m 53 minutes ago

That talk with coach Craig was well needed!

LRGvJE2i_normal.jpeg D'anfernee Mcgriff @Dmcgriff1 · 46m 46 minutes ago

Be loyal to the ones who been loyal to you! #WDE

Glad to hear this.

Good to hear!! I think he stays committed and qualifies. You think he's going for Ivey, Cowart or Holland? I read somewhere that CeCe was going to Ole Miss next weekend.

I thought talking about grades were off limits? I've been sitting on that tidbit about McGriff's grades since September after speaking to some teammates.

I thought talking about grades were off limits? I've been sitting on that tidbit about McGriff's grades since September after speaking to some teammates.

You could be right. I hope this works out for him

Archived