2014 Spring Practice - Day 7

McLoofus

If I may be so bold, RiR. Maybe I can at least save you a little content transfer/formatting:

Auburn worked on kickoff coverage in early periods of practice

It's Patrick Miller's day at left tackle with 1st team

Tyler Nero was at practice, not in pads. He was barely jogging, which I'd say is to be expected.

One of the few things of note was a skeleton drill where 2 QBs were on the field. Looked liek a 2-point conversion set.

Sammie Coates and CAP field kicks, Marcus Davis and Robenson Therezie did punts.

Elijah Daniel was back in full pads.

Walk-on update: LB Grant Smith and OL Kevin Austin are gone, LS Jonathan Parslow is now on team. DB Adam Dyas is no longer with the program.

@JamesCrepea

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Defensive lineman JaBrian Niles was off to the side during drills.

@wareagleextra

Khari Harding, a sophomore safety, was shadowing Cameron Toney on the weak-side at linebacker, and defensive coordinator Ellis Johnson could be heard telling Mitchell to take him under his wing.

Auburn briefly worked in a dime package, and both Justin Garrett and Jermaine Whitehead were getting a try as the dime back, moving into the slot near the line of scrimmage.

http://www.al.com/auburnfootball/index.ssf/2014/04/auburn_practice_notes_elijah_d.html

2016 OL's Marquis Price from Peach County and Chris Barnes from Lee County, Ga., were at practice.

Referees were at practice so I expect some 11-on-11 work today.

@awpenny247 / http://auburn.247sports.com/Board/42/Practice-No-7-notes-26881345 (Free Content)

Gus Malzahn has arrived. Says the emphasis in practice today was on the red zone. "I thought overall our guys came out + finished w/energy."

Malzahn on the scrimmage: "Overall, we got the information we were looking for." Says they mainly looked at the less-experienced players.

Malzahn: "There wasn't anything that was disappointing. ... Your first scrimmage, you're always checking (for) maximum effort."

Malzahn on Xavier Dampeer: "With what we ask our center to do, in his first live setting ... he did real good."

Malzahn on Marcus Davis: "I know our quarterbacks have a lot of confidence in him. He's a very crisp route-runner."

@wareagleextra

Gus Malzahn on WR Marcus Davis: "I know our quarterbacks have a lot of confidence in… He'll be a big factor in our pass game moving forward"

@AUGoldMine

Malzahn on QBs in scrimmage: "I think all of them did a solid job."

@JamesCrepea

Gus Malzahn: Shon Coleman looks like the player they recruited four years ago when he was healthy

Former Auburn CB Jerraud Powers was at Tuesday's practice

@BMatt247

Malzahn said they are a true family and definitely welcome former players

@ITATJason

Malzahn, on Khari Harding playing some linebacker: Auburn likes the way he hits, want to see how he responds.

@JoelAEricksonAU

Gus Malzahn on players unionizing: "I don't know all the facts to make a comment right now."

@JHokanson

BkJWm4hCYAEAiyK.jpg

via @awpenny247

WR Tony Stevens: "We're already there (offensively) … the mindset is still there."

Tony Stevens says QB Nick Marshall brought all the WRs together twice a week during the time away before spring practice.

@AUBlog

Auburn receiver Tony Stevens also on Nick Marshall passing bandwagon: "I've seen a big improvement."

@AUGoldMine

Tony Stevens confirms he caught a TD in scrimmage, from Tucker Tuberville.

Stevens said the TD from Tuberville was on a fade.

@JamesCrepea

What's it like catching passes from Jeremy Johnson? Well, he's firing a "100 mph fastball," says Tony Stevens.

@bmarcello

Tony Stevens on the motto on offense "everybody eats"

@ITATJason

"I don't know all he facts to make a comment right now." That statement from Gus is incredibly refreshing. Today, anyone voices their opinion whether they know all the facts or not. (Cough saban and beliema)

Auburn WR RIcardo Louis: "We're trying to become the best offense in the country."

Ricardo Louis on what it meant to him to have QB Nick Marshall work with the WRs in offseason: "That he cares and wants to get better"

@AUBlog

Ricardo Louis says he's been taking reps "everywhere."

Ricardo Louis says people still ask him about the Prayer at Jordan-Hare.

@JamesCrepea

Ricardo Louis on what he’s heard from Georgia fans: “I don’t associate with Georgia people."

@JayGTate

Ricardo Louis says he watches his opening-drive drop against Florida State over and over. Knows he could caught it if he stopped.

@JoelAErickson

Kris Frost is still working at both LB spots. Khari Harding at WLB.

@JamesCrepea

Kris Frost said he's helped new WLB Khari Harding on the transition from safety this spring.

Kris Frost says Justin Garrett is working almost exclusively at Star the last week-plus after rotating between Star & WLB at start of spring

@AUBlog

Interesting. The Harding move implies four things: (1) we're trying to compensate for losing Swain; (2) the coaches really prefer Garrett at Star (over WLB); (3) they're trying to find ways to get Harding on the field; and (4) they like what they have at Safety enough to lose a body back there.

Interesting. The Harding move implies four things: (1) we're trying to compensate for losing Swain; (2) the coaches really prefer Garrett at Star (over WLB); (3) they're trying to find ways to get Harding on the field; and (4) they like what they have at Safety enough to lose a body back there.

Also remember, this spring, the LB position in particular, has been pretty decimated by injuries.

Any word on uzohma. Haven't heard much about him? I know I misspelled his name.

He's been splitting reps at H-Back. I think I recall one generic "we have some good options at H-Back" comment from Gus, but that has been about it.

Archived