#1 JUCO PF Cinmeon Bowers Committed to AUBURN!!

RunInRed

Cinmeon_Bowers.jpg

Cinmeon Bowers, PF

Milwaukee, WI

6'7 / 261

- Nation's No. 1 JUCO player

- Recruiter: Tony Jones

- Bowers is a member of the 2014 signing class and will be eligible to play at Auburn this fall

247Sports: 4*

Cinmeon Bowers, a 6’7 forward at Chipola College, has set up an official visit to Auburn for next weekend. Bowers signed with Florida State in the November signing period, but recently received his release from FSU. Since opening up his recruitment he has heard from Memphis and South Carolina, among others.

Bowers averaged nearly 13 points and 9 rebounds this season on a loaded Chipola team who made a deep run in the NJCAA D1 National Tournament. He is one of the best prospects left at the JUCO level in the 2014 class and should be an immediate impact player wherever he ends up. This could be a perfect fit for both Bowers and Auburn, who is in serious need of players who can produce immediately.

Bowers told JucoRecruiting.com that Auburn is the only visit that he has lined up. It looks likes the Tigers could land Bowers if the visit goes well. I wouldn’t be surprised if a commitment came from Bowers while he is on his official visit, or shortly after.

http://www.jucorecru...s-visit-auburn/

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Since Pearl cant actually recruit players at the moment, would it be a violation for him to leave visiting players a video message when they are on campus? That seems a bit sabanesque in how it skirts the rules but it would be pretty cool if he could do that.

My understanding is he can't recruit away from campus, but there is no problem with him meeting with players when they visit.

My understanding is he can't recruit away from campus, but there is no problem with him meeting with players when they visit.

he cant talk to them at all. directly or indirectly. i forget which article i read this in but i think it was AL.com.

http://m.espn.go.com/ncb/story?storyId=10327194&src=desktop

Just an FYI. Bowers was arrested in January for felony charges of trying to eat marijuana to conceal it with police. The charges were later dropped, but he was released from his scholarship at FSU. The kid looks like he can play, but I just hope that we do our due diligence in investigating his character.

There seems to be more and more of these issues popping up lately.

http://m.espn.go.com...194&src=desktop

Just an FYI. Bowers was arrested in January for felony charges of trying to eat marijuana to conceal it with police. The charges were later dropped, but he was released from his scholarship at FSU. The kid looks like he can play, but I just hope that we do our due diligence in investigating his character.

I'm not surprised that we see more and more of these young people getting involved with marijuana. Our society is sending so many mixed messages with what it is saying about it. These kids are just products of what our society is producing and it WILL get worse with time.

http://m.espn.go.com...194&src=desktop

Interesting, I was wondering why the release from FSU. Tough call for the coaches IMO. We need players and beggers can't be choosers, but at the same time you have to avoid the problems that haunted Barbee in that it does no good to sign players who can't stay out of trouble and stay in school. No doubt that this guy can help us on the court but can he stay on the court? Hopefully Pearl has better luck at picking his players than Barbee did. I certainly like the idea of adding a player with some length and gerth to give us more of a presence down low!

Since Pearl cant actually recruit players at the moment, would it be a violation for him to leave visiting players a video message when they are on campus? That seems a bit sabanesque in how it skirts the rules but it would be pretty cool if he could do that.

I'm no expert on the topic, but I'm pretty sure any video specifically addressed to a recruit would be a violation. He is, however, producing videos (Inside Auburn Basketball) that are intended for recruits as much as for fans. I'm pretty sure those would be fine for the recruits to see, and the assistants could go more in depth in conveying what Bruce wanted them to know.

he cant talk to them at all. directly or indirectly. i forget which article i read this in but i think it was AL.com.

Indirect communication is walking a very fine line. Depending on how picky the NCAA is, a couple of words could make a huge difference:

acceptable: "We see you as a power forward who can drive the lane and create mismatches in one-on-one coverage."

violation: "Coach Pearl sees you as a power forward who can drive the lane and create mismatches in one-on-one coverage."

Since assistants will be having conversations with CBP about recruits, they will certainly know his opinions. They will just have to be very, very careful how they communicate that knowledge to recruits. I'm certain our compliance department is all over this, but I will be glad when Aug 24 gets here.

I like the girth Auburn big men recently with a few exceptions have been skinny and get pushed around hence not as strong on the boards and no down low presence, This kid might change that.

Guest jojo1515

Indirect communication is walking a very fine line. Depending on how picky the NCAA is, a couple of words could make a huge difference:

acceptable: "We see you as a power forward who can drive the lane and create mismatches in one-on-one coverage."

violation: "Coach Pearl sees you as a power forward who can drive the lane and create mismatches in one-on-one coverage."

Since assistants will be having conversations with CBP about recruits, they will certainly know his opinions. They will just have to be very, very careful how they communicate that knowledge to recruits. I'm certain our compliance department is all over this, but I will be glad when Aug 24 gets here.

In your scenario, Pearls name cant even be mentioned. I dont believe it is even possible to recruit without talking about the head coach. There is now way that is how the rule works. Bruce himself cant recruit and probably cant do personalized videos. I am.sure his assistants can say whatever they want up to and including what Bruce wants and thinks. A generic video from Bruce is probably on the li e of a violation and could be argued either way.

In an espn interview, pearl straight said he was doing all of those shows specifically because he could not contact the recruits directly and he wanted to be out there for them to see and hear.

Don't think there is a fine line. You either contact them or you don't.

In an espn interview, pearl straight said he was doing all of those shows specifically because he could not contact the recruits directly and he wanted to be out there for them to see and hear.

It is my understanding that he can not have any personal contact with any recruit. No phone calls, texts, tweets, etc. No in person meetings, no "accidental" meetings. He can not even contact a HS coach concerning a recruit.

In your scenario, Pearls name cant even be mentioned. I dont believe it is even possible to recruit without talking about the head coach. There is now way that is how the rule works. Bruce himself cant recruit and probably cant do personalized videos. I am.sure his assistants can say whatever they want up to and including what Bruce wants and thinks. A generic video from Bruce is probably on the li e of a violation and could be argued either way.

I am not a lawyer, but I know a lot about the English language and how lawyers like to parse it. (See: "It depends on what the meaning of the word is is." That statement made perfect sense to me in context.) If indeed the NCAA has said he may not have any "indirect contact" with recruits, then using Pearl's name in connection with conveying his thoughts about a specific recruit could be construed as a violation. Talking in general about coach Pearl's philosophy would be totally permissible, thus the difference between my scenario and yours. I don't know how closely the NCAA is going to monitor this, nor how picky they would be if they did find one of the assistants conveying CBP's thoughts about a recruit to that recruit, but that would fall under any reasonable definition of "indirect contact."

Because the generic videos Bruce is doing are targeted at fans and are published on the internet, I don't think they're any different from his TV and radio appearances. If he were to make a generic video targeted to recruits (even if not to any specific recruit) that was shown to them when they visit, that would likely violate the show-cause.

If someone who is a lawyer or who has more specific knowledge about the restrictions on CBP wants to chime in, I will gladly defer to your expertise.

It is my understanding that he can not have any personal contact with any recruit. No phone calls, texts, tweets, etc. No in person meetings, no "accidental" meetings. He can not even contact a HS coach concerning a recruit.

That is what I understood him say also. He said his asst.'s will have to do the recruiting until whatever day in August his show-cause ends.

I clearly misunderstood then. That's a tough penalty...

I doubt cbp will do anything that might possibly be a violation. I am not sure what defines this indirect contact but you can bet your ars he is.

I doubt cbp will do anything that might possibly be a violation. I am not sure what defines this indirect contact but you can bet your ars he is.

Agreed. I know our compliance dept asked for clarification on exactly what is permissible and will make sure he complies.

Archived