2015 5* DL Terry Beckner Jr. (Missouri signee)

RunInRed

Auburn offers the nation's No. 2 prospect overall in East St. Louis (Ill.) High DL Terry Beckner Jr

@SWiltfong247

4_1272837.jpg

Terry Beckner, Jr., SDE

East Saint Louis, IL

6'4 / 268

Offers: Aubur, Cincinnati, Florida, Florida State, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa State, Kansas, LSU, Michigan, Michigan State, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, Ohio State, Purdue, Syracuse, Tennessee and USC, among others.

247Sports: 5* (Top247 - No. 2)

Rivals: 4* (Rivals100 - No. 35)

Scout: 5*

Nicely built prospect with long arms and the athletic tools to develop into a very good college player. Shows good overall coordination and ability to move at his size and does a nice job when tracking down players in space. Still has to get stronger and work on using his hands. Has all the physical tools, just has to continue to work on technique and consistency. - Allen Trieu

http://auburn.scout....c=1&nid=6521087

Hudl Highlights

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He certainly knows how to play DE. Is there any word on if this is our interest or has he indicated AU is a offer he wanted. Any plans to visit? Thanks

Guest jojo1515

Several folks on twitter reporting that he wants to visit AU. Maybe we can sway him to the good tigers (as many expect him to go to Mizzou)

• 5 months later...

http://auburn.247sports.com/Bolt/Latest-With-Five-Star-Beckner-31247818

East St. Louis (Ill.) High five-star defensive end Terry Beckner Jr. recently received his Under Armour All-American jersey during a presentation at his school.

What college jersey he wears remains to be seen.

The nation's No. 3 rated prospect overall according to 247Sports, Missouri remains the leader and 247Sports Crystal Ball favorite for Beckner, but they're certainly not the only player.

Ohio State continues to make a push.

"Coach (Chris) Ash was in to see him Monday, they talked about a possible game visit, nothing was ever finalized," East St. Louis assistant coach Harith Mitchom said.

Beckner only has three Friday games this fall, so official visits during the season will be limited. He plans on using all five before deciding on or around National Signing Day.

Other schools in the mix include Auburn, Florida State, LSU and Oregon.

"Auburn has stepped it up in terms of talking with Terry," Mitchom said. "Auburn is in the mix right now."

We need some DL and LB recruits to start buying what AU is selling.

We win like we did last season and they'll be biting the hook.

I agree, but I don't think it will take quite the same level of winning in order to start reeling in some big catches. It does, however, start tomorrow night, when we are on the national stage for the first time this year...if AU takes care of K-State the way we can (and should), I imagine we'll be getting a great deal more interest as recruits take notice of how much our Tigers are here to stay.

I agree, but I don't think it will take quite the same level of winning in order to start reeling in some big catches. It does, however, start tomorrow night, when we are on the national stage for the first time this year...if AU takes care of K-State the way we can (and should), I imagine we'll be getting a great deal more interest as recruits take notice of how much our Tigers are here to stay.

I agree to an extent but we reel in A-list offensive players in large part to the fact that our offense is awesome to play in and a showcase of talent. Defensively, we haven't captured the imagination of some players we really have wanted badly and that has always been a concern of mine - that the defense would lag our offensive talent to where our offense would always have to carry too much of the load. I really hope we can get our D up to the top third of the conference consistently because that will mean lots of rings will be passed around.

I agree to an extent but we reel in A-list offensive players in large part to the fact that our offense is awesome to play in and a showcase of talent. Defensively, we haven't captured the imagination of some players we really have wanted badly and that has always been a concern of mine - that the defense would lag our offensive talent to where our offense would always have to carry too much of the load. I really hope we can get our D up to the top third of the conference consistently because that will mean lots of rings will be passed around.

A fair point...but then we did sign three 5 star (and a 4 star) defensive linemen in 2013, a 5 star linebacker and four 4 star defensive linemen this past February, and have two 4 star linebackers committed this time around, plus a borderline 4 star LB this past cycle and have a borderline 4 star DL committed this cycle, so it isn't as if we haven't been having any success in that regard.

I really hope that Terry Beckner, Jr. Is the Braden Smith of this class. Mid-western kid that we pull in February.

I'd rather not wait that long, but I would certainly take it.

A fair point...but then we did sign three 5 star (and a 4 star) defensive linemen in 2013, a 5 star linebacker and four 4 star defensive linemen this past February, and have two 4 star linebackers committed this time around, plus a borderline 4 star LB this past cycle and have a borderline 4 star DL committed this cycle, so it isn't as if we haven't been having any success in that regard.

Guys its not about W's or L's, its about relationships. AU's coaches are late getting on the 2015 guys. Nothing more or less. Has nothing to do with "buying" into Ellis's system. 2016, as you can clearly see, is turning out to be very different on D recruiting. FWIW.

Guys its not about W's or L's, its about relationships. AU's coaches are late getting on the 2015 guys. Nothing more or less. Has nothing to do with "buying" into Ellis's system. 2016, as you can clearly see, is turning out to be very different on D recruiting. FWIW.

True, it's MOSTLY about relationships but that's an oversimplification with these 18 year olds. Some are logical, some are emotional, most are a bit of both. Heck, some of the greatest recruits in college history have picked their college based on novel approaches like fantasy enactment videos of them throwing winning TDs for that college somewhere down the line. East St. Louis is a LONG way from the Plains.

WDE, thanks for the post. I am not sure it is OK for the staff to be behind in their Defensive recruiting for 2015. The staff has been here long enough and AU's success last year should mean the HS kids are feeling us right now. I know Coach Garner was focusing last year on coaching the players up, which I think he really did, but our staff should be able to do both recruit and coach really well. We should have been in on 2015 Defensive needs sooner. JMO.

Looks like we may be doing a bit better with 2016 kids, with Rochester seriously looking at us.

This sounds reasonable and on target.

WDE, thanks for the post. I am not sure it is OK for the staff to be behind in their Defensive recruiting for 2015. The staff has been here long enough and AU's success last year should mean the HS kids are feeling us right now. I know Coach Garner was focusing last year on coaching the players up, which I think he really did, but our staff should be able to do both recruit and coach really well. We should have been in on 2015 Defensive needs sooner. JMO.

Looks like we may be doing a bit better with 2016 kids, with Rochester seriously looking at us.

Coaches have been and are on 2015 needs. WDE's comments highlighted the need to establish relationships (hs coaches/recruits) with their own stamp. Not just flash the AU logo and walk in the door.

Lawson, Adams and Tre Williams had way less "relationship" time than any 2015 recruit. We do not have any defensive lineman or linebacker of that level committed as of today. Is there still time? Yes. Is there cause for concern? Also, yes.

Coaches have been and are on 2015 needs. WDE's comments highlighted the need to establish relationships (hs coaches/recruits) with their own stamp. Not just flash the AU logo and walk in the door.

Agree somewhat with everything that has been said, but Ellis, Garner, Melvin Smith, & Charlie Harbison are know commodities that need no introduction to high school coaches or even the players for that matter. I'm sure all our coaches were recruiting these players when they were at other schools & had established relationships already. It just seems at this time the high school players are not sold on our style defense. My hope is that after this year we will have shown dramatic improvement on that side of the ball and will have players wanting to be a defensive player at AU much like the offensive high school players do.

Lawson, Adams and Tre Williams had way less "relationship" time than any 2015 recruit. We do not have any defensive lineman or linebacker of that level committed as of today. Is there still time? Yes. Is there cause for concern? Also, yes.

There are five guys on the DL whose eligibility will be up after this season...but there are twelve more who will be back next season, two of whom are of the caliber to which you are referring (and a third, Daniel, who arguably is as well), and four more of whom were 4 star prospects when they signed last year. That means we aren't in quite the precarious position it might seem on the front four. Yes, we need to fill in a couple of spots, but there is plenty of time between now and February. I'd say it's almost a given that we'll pull at least two 4 stars at DE/DT, with a pretty decent shot at hauling in a blue chipper (like Beckner) as well. Either case has the team sitting pretty in 2015.

As for linebacker, you're the one always preaching depth at that position in a class, and we have four commits who are classified as linebackers by recruiting services (even if two are being recruited to play safety instead of linebacker). Of those four, two are solid four stars, and one is borderline...which sounds like the makings of a pretty solid group of linebacker recruits, even by your standards...with the potential to still get a big time player at the position. And what's more is that there isn't a single senior in the LB corps, so barring a breakout season by one of the starters that leads to going pro early, everyone will be back, too.

So tell me...why is it such a cause for concern?

At this point in their signing seasons, we didn't have Adams or Daniel, and we didn't have our new coaching staff so we didn't know that Lawson would waiver down the stretch. All that to say, perhaps worrying now is pre-mature. A lot changes between September and February.

There are five guys on the DL whose eligibility will be up after this season...but there are twelve more who will be back next season, two of whom are of the caliber to which you are referring (and a third, Daniel, who arguably is as well), and four more of whom were 4 star prospects when they signed last year. That means we aren't in quite the precarious position it might seem on the front four. Yes, we need to fill in a couple of spots, but there is plenty of time between now and February. I'd say it's almost a given that we'll pull at least two 4 stars at DE/DT, with a pretty decent shot at hauling in a blue chipper (like Beckner) as well. Either case has the team sitting pretty in 2015.

As for linebacker, you're the one always preaching depth at that position in a class, and we have four commits who are classified as linebackers by recruiting services (even if two are being recruited to play safety instead of linebacker). Of those four, two are solid four stars, and one is borderline...which sounds like the makings of a pretty solid group of linebacker recruits, even by your standards...with the potential to still get a big time player at the position. And what's more is that there isn't a single senior in the LB corps, so barring a breakout season by one of the starters that leads to going pro early, everyone will be back, too.

So tell me...why is it such a cause for concern?

Of the four linebacker recruits, the talking heads on this forum insist that two will play either safety or star. That leaves two, with one (Williams) said to be waiting for a committable offer from UAT before he flips. I call that cause for concern. The fact that all current LB's are returning is a double-edged sword, excepting the two freshmen on whom the jury is still out.

There may well be a number of DL guys returning even after all the graduation. I still think it's cause for concern when we don't have a single player committed there. We have talent and depth at OL and are still signing multiple guys there. It's rather apparent that we'd line them up on D-line too if we could, but so far we have not been able to get 'em. So I'm concerned.

Archived