FSU Under Federal Investigation for Handling of Winston Case

autigeremt

http://www.usatoday....rights/7262359/

Always helpful to include at least a little of the article

The U.S. Department of Education's Office for Civil Rights has opened an investigation of Florida State University into whether its handling of the Jameis Winston rape allegations violated Title IX laws, a spokesman for the department confirmed to USA TODAY Sports Thursday.

An FSU student said she was raped by Winston on Dec. 7, 2012. Deadspin reported Thursday that school officials met with Winston in late January to discuss the alleged assault. But as it attempts to comply with Title IX, the school might have further violated the law. Both a lengthy delay in conducting the investigation and a meeting only with Winston contradict guidance given to schools in 2011 by the Office of Civil Rights (OCR).

CASE DETAILS: 911 call, interviews

Sexual harassment and violence are considered forms of sex discrimination under the 1972 federal law, which requires colleges and universities that receive federal funds to investigate claims of sexual assault and provide a timely and impartial grievance procedure to resolve those claims. Non-compliance with the law can result in the department revoking federal funding, although that has never happened.

Florida authorities announced on Dec. 5 that Winston would not face criminal charges, but an OCR investigation will put the case back in the spotlight. The woman filed her complaint with OCR in early March, 15 months after she reported the incident.

In a campus setting, accused students are judged in disciplinary hearings under a much lower "preponderance of evidence" standard than in criminal courts. At FSU, and virtually every other school, a campus disciplinary body determines if an accused student is responsible or not responsible and administers punishments that can range from writing a paper to suspension or expulsion.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here we go again.

A team wins the BCS, an investigation follows that takes years and results in the team's Heisman winner returning the trophy, the school is placed on probation, wins are vacated and a BCS championship stripped.

Could FSU face the same due to a cover up by the university and local police? This time there could be a loss of federal funding and NCAA probation.

No matter what happens Jameis is probably gone to the pros next January. It is getting too hot for him in Tallahassee.

Who thinks he's guilty? I lean towards no.

It doesnt matter if you are guilty, just how much grist for the mill the media needs.

See Cam Newton.

It doesnt matter if you are guilty, just how much grist for the mill the media needs.

See Cam Newton.

I'd say it matters to the woman accusing him of rape.

See Cam Newton.

Cam's situation and Jameis' situation are not even in the same ballpark.

Jameis has made it pretty clear he doesn't want to go to the NFL, and would rather go to the MLB. Just what I read recently.

See Cam Newton.

See Cam Newton.

His point was that, as far as the media is concerned, guilt is irrelevant, as long as it's sensational enough to generate views/clicks.

I didn't see it as trying to trivialize rape or compare the substance of his situation to Cam's.

Not for us to decide, but it looks like the alledged victim will not go away quietly. Someone is pushing this case/investigation hard down there. Hmmmm.....

See Cam Newton.

See Cam Newton.

His point was that, as far as the media is concerned, guilt is irrelevant, as long as it's sensational enough to generate views/clicks.

I didn't see it as trying to trivialize rape or compare the substance of his situation to Cam's.

There was no comparison of crime etc. I was STRICTLY making the point that guilt doesnt matter one iota. Today, in "Jerry Springer's World' we live in, simply being accused of something is all the media needs to destroy someone. For the money, i bet that this is closer to being true than not myself.

The TPD just royally screwed this whole thing up. I haven't seen anything where some kind of discipline was handed down to anyone in the dept. They didn't do anyone, JW or the woman, any favors by their actions.

If JW wants to go to MLB instead of the NFL, I can't blame him. He can play 20+years, make a lot more money and stay a lot healthier. I think he will likely have to go play minor league ball for a little while first.

I listened to most of the recorded statements from witnesses and just from that did not think he force raped her. The only way I think he is guilty is if he drugged her. The investigation is probably too cold to prove anything unless someone close to the situation grows a conscience.

Not for us to decide, but it looks like the alledged victim will not go away quietly. Someone is pushing this case/investigation hard down there. Hmmmm.....

Probably some one is, if just for money.

Winston may be innocent, but FSU and the local police still broke the rules on how they handle this investigation and for that reason alone it should be investigated.

Probably some one is, if just for money.

Winston may be innocent, but FSU and the local police still broke the rules on how they handle this investigation and for that reason alone it should be investigated.

Exactly. This investigation isn't about the alleged crime. This is an investigation of how it was handled.

I lean towards yes; but by only 52/48% or so. Not overwhelmingly. I could be swayed either way but it all just sounds too believable and to BEGGING for a Tallahassee cover up.

The only thing they could prove he was guilty of is that he had sex with her. Unless someone made a video recording (and maybe not even then) would they be able to prove anything else. So it boils down to a he-said/she-said dispute, and who you think is more believable. Given the experience of Brian Banks, I'm reluctant to jump to conclusions.

So it's fair to say no one on this site is "beyond a reasonable doubt" convinced he's guilty. Just looking at the comments, I don't even see a "preponderance of the evidence" consensus.

Whoever said TPD didn't do anyone any favors was spot on. They butchered this investigation, even if there was spotty evidence on which to base the investigation. I never thought there was enough to charge him, but geez, you have to give it a hard look.

This thing is a bad penny. Just keeps turning up.

So it's fair to say no one on this site is "beyond a reasonable doubt" convinced he's guilty. Just looking at the comments, I don't even see a "preponderance of the evidence" consensus.

Whoever said TPD didn't do anyone any favors was spot on. They butchered this investigation, even if there was spotty evidence on which to base the investigation. I never thought there was enough to charge him, but geez, you have to give it a hard look.

Yep. The ONLY thing that makes him look guilty is the appearance that the police were trying to protect him.

Yep. The ONLY thing that makes him look guilty is the appearance that the police were trying to protect him.

well that.... and his absolute refusal to cooperate with the investigation past his forced participation. He has literally said as little as he possibly can.

well that.... and his absolute refusal to cooperate with the investigation past his forced participation. He has literally said as little as he possibly can.

saying little is sometimes best but if I am not guilty I want to be heard. I guess not guilty of rape and embarrassment of immaturity are still enough to keep quiet too. I think rape by force is right on the level of murder. I know it happens but a kid with as much going for him as JW is kinda hard to believe. What is harder to believe is that two or three others witnessed rape or even lied at all about what they witnessed when rape was a possibility. I know there is evil in the world. I may be naive but I think good will outweigh evil (usually) and I just can't see the witnesses going that far out of line to cover up a true rape. That is why I suspect the drugging. That is still legally rape and should be, but not as barbaric as forced intercourse. The investigation should have answered these questions one way or another.

Hell, toxicology reports would prove or disprove your theory. Doesn't even take a lot of investigation to support that claim or rule it out.

Whether guilty or innocent - this whole thing is screwed like it is because of FSU's rule about sitting a player who is "charged". Everything seemed to get dragged along to keep him eligible. Not Winston's fault - but I guarantee any of us would have been charged and then had to prove innocence in this case.

I would think we would have some sympathy after Cam.

If Winston raped that girl, he needs to go to prison. But if he didn't, we should just say "good game" and "we'll be back."

Hell, toxicology reports would prove or disprove your theory. Doesn't even take a lot of investigation to support that claim or rule it out.

if i remember correctly they did a half ars toxicology test or waited too long.

Archived