Lou Holtz spoke to Auburn Football team

Plaric

Come Aug. 30th, Lou will go back to being himself by never picking us to win a SEC and national championship.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He has ALWAYS hated Auburn. ALWAYS...

And I've NEVER cared for him because of this. He's made no bones about his hatred for AU.

I feel sure the only reason he came to speak at AU was to collect the paycheck on the way out the door. I can't imagine why he'd set foot on campus for any other reason.

I agree with the folks that think this was a good move by Gus. Like it or not Holtz is still a great motivator today and was a very solid HC in his prime. While I have been pissed about his behavior on ESPN when speaking about Auburn and his obvious bias in favor of our rivals he is NOT alone. He has never gotten over Tubs calling him out on an ESPN radio show years ago when Tubs complained about ESPN’s bias (shameless marketing for teams) that shaped the top 25 rankings and who was eventually given a shot at the NC game. Herbstriet defended Holtz and ESPN AT FIRST, but eventually saw Tub’s point. When Tubs made the comment that Holtz could not beat ANYONE in the SEC while at USCe that as all she wrote : any Auburn competitor was a friend of Lou’s.

All that said I don’t see how anyone doing any type research on Gus can’t give him credit for being a class act as a person and as a HC. I think Holtz, ESPN and even a few in the AL press are starting to be a little more F & B with their reporting thanks to Gus. If Gus can get Holtz on campus or to start seeing Auburn and our fan base for who we really are I am all for it. ESPN will continue to impact somewhat how Auburn is viewed in the national media so props to Gus for extending the olive branch.

War Eagle !

I agree with the folks that think this was a good move by Gus. Like it or not Holtz is still a great motivator today and was a very solid HC in his prime. While I have been pissed about his behavior on ESPN when speaking about Auburn and his obvious bias in favor of our rivals he is NOT alone. He has never gotten over Tubs calling him out on an ESPN radio show years ago when Tubs complained about ESPN’s bias (shameless marketing for teams) that shaped the top 25 rankings and who was eventually given a shot at the NC game. Herbstriet defended Holtz and ESPN AT FIRST, but eventually saw Tub’s point. When Tubs made the comment that Holtz could not beat ANYONE in the SEC while at USCe that as all she wrote : any Auburn competitor was a friend of Lou’s.

All that said I don’t see how anyone doing any type research on Gus can’t give him credit for being a class act as a person and as a HC. I think Holtz, ESPN and even a few in the AL press are starting to be a little more F & B with their reporting thanks to Gus. If Gus can get Holtz on campus or to start seeing Auburn and our fan base for who we really are I am all for it. ESPN will continue to impact somewhat how Auburn is viewed in the national media so props to Gus for extending the olive branch.

War Eagle !

I just want to point out that from Gus's perspective, there's on olive branch to extend. He doesn't have the history with Lou that a lot of us do, and as has been pointed out, his history with Lou is one of respect and admiration growing up in Arkansas. This is good for Auburn, and those of you holding on to past offenses would do well to bury the hatchet. There is no room for grudges on the Gus Bus!

I am glad to hear of this. I know in the past that Lou did not have a lot of good to say about Auburn. I guess he has come home to the best team in the country! I have always liked Lou in that most of what he said was funny and goofy. I am amazed with how well he did at Arky & the Dame. He is probably getting a bit senile. I do think he has a lot of respect for Coach Malzahn though.

Keith Jackson was the best sports broadcaster ever. He always had something good to say about Auburn. There is no one out there that comes anywhere close to Keith Jackson whatsoever!

I really like Scott Van Pelt. I remember that he was blown away with Auburn when he came to see the AU / UGA game in 2004. He generally has only positive to say about Auburn.

As far as Lou Holtz is concerned, this was a brilliant PR move by Gus. I continue to be impressed with how he's handling this program.

Keith Jackson was the best sports broadcaster ever. He always had something good to say about Auburn. There is no one out there that comes anywhere close to Keith Jackson whatsoever!

While broadcasting the UAT@OU game a while back, Jackson made the comment: "Out there in that field today are two teams that together represent 12 National Titles." My bama family members hated him form that day forward...

Well we all have our opinions. I would rather listen to one of the current WOMEN football announcers than keith Jackson any day. I've always hated listening to him do a game. Just absolutely awful and never neutral. i HATE listening to keith jackson.

the only person that irritates me broadcasting a game is Verne Lundquist. No one else is annoying enough for me to care. I like Danielson and Herbstriet ok but really dont care who calls the game. For Holtz to be so revered as a coach i dont think too many take him seriously on tv.

Archived