2015 4* JUCO DE Marquavius Lewis (South Carolina signee)

CameronCrazy

@Niebuhr247: No. 1 juco DE talks #Auburn interest. Tigers were first to go after him

Lewis is the #1 JUCO DE and the #2 overall JUCO prospect behind Jovon Robinson. Auburn was the first to go after him, and he hasn't forgotten that. He attends the same Junior College where we recruited current Auburn players Ben Bradley, Davonte Danzey, and Kenny Flowers.

4_1286142.jpg

Marquavius Lewis, DE

Greenwood, SC

6'4 / 271

- Recruiter: Rodney Garner (P)

Offers: Alabama, Arizona State, Arkansas, Auburn, Clemson, Florida, Georgia, Kansas State, Louisville, Miami (Fl), Missouri, Oklahoma State, Tennessee, UCLA, USC and West Virginia, among others.

247Sports: 4*

Rivals: 4*

Scout: 5*

Hudl Highlights

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Huh. My scorecard (known to be faulty on occasion) shows us potentially having a glut of very experienced, competent DEs in 2015...assuming everybody's healthy. Sure, injuries happen, if a great one's available grab him, etc etc, but understanding there's finite number of scholarships, this is where I'm going: I see scary few experienced run-stopping LBs (i.e. non-star) on ou roster in 2015 so I wonder if the staff's considering having this guy lose about 20 lbs for that role, or converting some current star-ish player to hole plugger LB.

Anyway, this guy's a monster that would help any defense.

Huh. My scorecard (known to be faulty on occasion) shows us potentially having a glut of very experienced, competent DEs in 2015...assuming everybody's healthy. Sure, injuries happen, if a great one's available grab him, etc etc, but understanding there's finite number of scholarships, this is where I'm going: I see scary few experienced run-stopping LBs (i.e. non-star) on ou roster in 2015 so I wonder if the staff's considering having this guy lose about 20 lbs for that role, or converting some current star-ish player to hole plugger LB.

Anyway, this guy's a monster that would help any defense.

Not sure about this glut of DE you speak of? We are actually a little thin there so I can definitely see us bring in a JUCO for that position. Or at the very least staying on the number 1 JUCO guy until we see how the freshmen look their first year.

Malzahn: "we definitely are (thin at DE)."

@JamesCrepea

As for taking one of the top players in the country at his position- who, btw, has already excelled at that position for a couple years at the college level- and then completely changing the shape of his body and trying to teach him another position for his remaining 2 years of eligibility... uhhh...

In 2015, we'll have Lawson and Daniel (Jrs), Lambert (Sr... may play DT), Harrell (Sr), and President (Jr) plus the three incoming freshmen who will either be RFr or So.

At LB in 2015, we'll likely have Cass McKinzy, Kris Frost, and Justin Garrett (Srs), Javy Mitchell (Jr), Cam Toney (So), possible Flowers and Swain (Srs) plus the two incoming freshmen who will be RFr or So. Plus possibly Khari Harding as a So. or Jr. if he sticks at LB.

We certainly need LBs for 2016, but there's probably a more pressing need at DE for 2015.

If we signed this guy, Robinson, and the two currently committed, that would be four of the top seven JUCO players (per 247).

• 1 month later...

"@BMattAU: 4-star JUCO DE Marquavius Lewis is visiting Auburn today

Hope he stays tomorrow for BCW too.

"@BMattAU: 4-star JUCO DE Marquavius Lewis is visiting Auburn today

Hope he stays tomorrow for BCW too.

Big Cat Weekend is next weekend

"@BMattAU: Quick update on visit of 4-star JUCO DE Marquavius Lewis to #Auburn. No longer has leader

Thats what i like to hear

So what AU pulled even? Or just made him cool on the gamecocks?

"@BMattAU: Quick update on visit of 4-star JUCO DE Marquavius Lewis to #Auburn. No longer has leader

Thats what i like to hear

So what AU pulled even? Or just made him cool on the gamecocks?

Showed him enough to reconsider naming Scar his leader. Would think we are at least even.

If we get a kid like this to visit and actually step foot on campus, I generally like our chances. I'm not biased at all but what's not to love?? :)

The first step is to get his attention, next we cause him to rethink his position, then we sell him on his future. CGM and CRG know what they are doing and i am getting a feeling this young man has been mightily swayed by his time on campus. Hoping for a commitment in the future and if not there are others out there that will fit the bill. WDE

Is there an announcement or is that just hopeful conjecture at this point..?

The latter, I believe. I think his projected commit date as sometime this fall (during the season).

Archived