2014 Spring Practice - Day 11

RunInRed

Post-practice presser ...

Rhett Lashlee on offense this spring: "We're improving, some days at the rate we want, some days not."

Lashlee on QB Nick Marshall: "He's just more comfortable. He knows where everybody is on every play."

Lashlee on Marshall: "I just think there's a confidence about him, not from his ability but it's, 'Man, I know what's going on.'"

Lashlee on RB Cam Artis-Payne: "He's the same every day, he doesn't have bad days."

Lashlee: "I want to make it very clear, we've not made any changes to our offensive line. We've made the same changes we're making w/ WRs."

Lashlee on OL: "I have been impressed with the way Avery's been able to play 2 positions, I've been impressed Chad can play both sides."

Lashlee on WRs: "Tony Stevens has had a really good spring for the most part. … Marcus Davis … is just steady. He practices like a pro."

Lashlee: "Playing fast is a mindset, and our guys have bought in."

Lashlee says finding the replacement for HB Jay Prosch has had its "ups and downs" this spring b/w Brandon Fulse, CJ Uzomah and Gage Batten.

Lashlee on Marshall's 65 comp. % target: "We'll find out what his numbers are at the end of the spring but they're going up."

Lashlee on Nick Marshall: "He sometimes knows what we're thinking before we think it."

@AUBlog

Lashlee: "I want to make it clear -- we haven't made any changes to our offensive line." Says they're simply "mixing and matching people."

Lashlee on Peyton Barber: "You can tell the redshirt year was good for him. He's a lot more confident in himself."

@wareagleextra

Rhett Lashlee on Nick Marshall: "I want him to be the best that he can be. If he's the best he can be, he'll be pretty dang good."

@JHokanson

I really love that last quote on Marshall. If the coaches have confidence that he thinks like they do, they may turn him loose to change plays at the line of scrimmage and be much freer in letting him improvise.

I really love that last quote on Marshall. If the coaches have confidence that he thinks like they do, they may turn him loose to change plays at the line of scrimmage and be much freer in letting him improvise.

I agree. Having a QB who knows how to read the defense the way the coaches would allows for quicker adjustments, making it that much more difficult for the defense to react.

Interesting comments re the Hback poistion. Does Rhett mean the only candidates for that position having their ups & downs are Batten, Uzomah & Fulse but Ricky Parks is golden every day or, contrary to our info all spring (thus the depth chart on this board), is Ricky Parks NOT a projected H back replacement for Prosch?

Shon Coleman?

That would be my guess as well.

I think they are taking it a step at a time with Parks. I think there is some real reluctance to just throw him into the mix or start praising him in public. If he wins a job, it will mean he worked and earned it from the day he arrived until the time he runs out the tunnel. Short leash type of thing.

I think they are taking it a step at a time with Parks. I think there is some real reluctance to just throw him into the mix or start praising him in public. If he wins a job, it will mean he worked and earned it from the day he arrived until the time he runs out the tunnel. Short leash type of thing.

Im pretty sure that applies to EVERY player. The competition for those jobs is stiff and I'm pretty sure nobody is given ANYTHING.

In the spring,it seems, they all typically praise people that will never play much in the fall.

Guest jojo1515

In the spring,it seems, they all typically praise people that will never play much in the fall.

Hmmm....I guess that means Marshall wont be playing much, nor DQ or Sammy...should be interesting :)

Shon Coleman?

That would be my guess as well.

My guess is Reese. CJBG was on him pretty hard about seasoning the meat for the grill the way Reese wanted to, rather than the way he was coached.

Guess on which OL Coach Grimes was referring to ... ?

Best quote I have ever heard to describe an offensive lineman "He can get movement on a fire hydrant!" @CoachJBGrimes #GreatQuotes

@bobbybentley

RIR, you are not going to leave us hanging, are you?

BV, I meant Parks is likely under even more scrutiny than other players. He got booted once, and I imagine he doesn't have a get out of jail free card. If he wins a job, I don't think we'll hear about it before the game. It'll just happen.

Love what I'm reading about NM and his receivers. Our offense should be sick this year.

The key piece is Marshall, who has spent his spring impressing teammates with improved accuracy and touch.

"The deep ball, we probably missed a couple of deep balls last year," wide receiver Quan Bray said. "He’s putting them on the money now. The short routes, he’s putting them where they are supposed to be."

http://www.al.com/au..._deep_ball.html

In terms of tone, though, Marshall's ability to lead has brought a calming presence to the offense.

"He’s more confident in the pocket," Tigers receiver Ricardo Louis said. "He’s throwing the ball well, which means that he’s getting comfortable."

"He knows where everybody's at on every play," Lashlee said. "We haven't had any plays where he doesn't know the play or busts like that. It's just been a matter of him being able to go through his progressions, make the reads, make the throws."

And Marshall, by all accounts, has been a much better passer, earning even more respect from his teammates for the way he's improved in the offseason, particularly after organizing offseason throwing sessions with the wide receivers.

Even the defense has noticed. In practices, Auburn likes to test its No. 1 units against each other, and Marshall's improved ability to throw the ball has turned heads on the other side of the ball, too.

"He’s looking real good," Auburn hybrid Robenson Therezie said. "They’re repping him on throwing a lot. He has a good arm. I knew he had a good arm since last year when he first stepped on campus."

http://www.al.com/au...04/post_34.html

I agree. Having a QB who knows how to read the defense the way the coaches would allows for quicker adjustments, making it that much more difficult for the defense to react.

Loving the growth in leadership.

On Mondays [at Ark State], Ryan Aplin could come in and help with the game plan some point. We're hoping that Marshall can get to that point.

Love what I'm reading about NM and his receivers. Our offense should be sick this year.

The key piece is Marshall, who has spent his spring impressing teammates with improved accuracy and touch.

"The deep ball, we probably missed a couple of deep balls last year," wide receiver Quan Bray said. "He’s putting them on the money now. The short routes, he’s putting them where they are supposed to be."

http://www.al.com/au..._deep_ball.html

In terms of tone, though, Marshall's ability to lead has brought a calming presence to the offense.

"He’s more confident in the pocket," Tigers receiver Ricardo Louis said. "He’s throwing the ball well, which means that he’s getting comfortable."

"He knows where everybody's at on every play," Lashlee said. "We haven't had any plays where he doesn't know the play or busts like that. It's just been a matter of him being able to go through his progressions, make the reads, make the throws."

And Marshall, by all accounts, has been a much better passer, earning even more respect from his teammates for the way he's improved in the offseason, particularly after organizing offseason throwing sessions with the wide receivers.

Even the defense has noticed. In practices, Auburn likes to test its No. 1 units against each other, and Marshall's improved ability to throw the ball has turned heads on the other side of the ball, too.

"He’s looking real good," Auburn hybrid Robenson Therezie said. "They’re repping him on throwing a lot. He has a good arm. I knew he had a good arm since last year when he first stepped on campus."

http://www.al.com/au...04/post_34.html

Sevenlee is not gonna like this^^. Lol

I want to say that I am proud that I was wrong about Nick Marshall this time last year. Part of me wanted him to play DB because that would have meant that another certain, former QB had stepped up finally. I was wrong 100% and I have never been happier to say so! War Eagle Nick! You are THE MAN!

I want to say that I am proud that I was wrong about Nick Marshall this time last year. Part of me wanted him to play DB because that would have meant that another certain, former QB had stepped up finally. I was wrong 100% and I have never been happier to say so! War Eagle Nick! You are THE MAN!

Dixie, just another time you were wrong! I, of course had predicted our run to the BCS title game and pretty much was right on predicting Marshall's stats! Ha!

We'll cut you some slack this one time but just don't let it happen again. ;D

Archived