Press Secretary Carney Knows Propaganda

cptau

Carney and his wife have collected some Soviet proganda posters. And he has nice clothes too................

http://www.washingto.../balancing-act/

http://www.businessi...y-carney-2014-4

Washingtonian MOM magazine's spring issue has a profile of White House Press Secretary Jay Carney's wife, ABC News contributor Claire Shipman, that features a picture taken inside their home. In the background of the photo, you can see two framed Soviet-era propaganda posters.

One of Carney's posters is a version of this iconic design by artist Dmitry Moor with a soldier pointing his finger alongside text that says "Have YOU Enlisted?" in Russian:

The other poster features a female factory worker. According to this eBay seller, who is offering one for $1,660, the poster was printed on June 26, 1941, days after Russia began fighting the Axis powers in World War II. It encourages women take jobs vacated by men who have gone to fight. The woman in the poster is switching out a tag with a man's name to one with hers and the text says: "Women! Learn production, replace workers who went to the front! The stronger the hinterland - the stronger the front!"

Carney and Shipman have a lot of history with Russia. They met in Moscow in the 1990s while he was writing for Time and she worked for CNN. Carney did not respond to a request for comment from Business Insider Friday.

asen2-3.jpg$t2ec16r,!zqe9s3ssnzfbrcnmc,qd!~~60_12.jpg

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Honestly? I think that's pretty cool that they still exist. If Russia weren't having it's temper tantrum, I probably would display them somehow - along with other WWII memorabilia. Actually, that poster and the "We Can DO It!" poster would look pretty cool next to each other.

In WWII the Soviets were Allies.

Allies of convenience only. No love lost even then. The Soviet dictators were ruthless and there is no way anything symbolizing the Russian war regime would be prominently displayed in my house. To each his own.

Allies of convenience only. No love lost even then. The Soviet dictators were ruthless and there is no way anything symbolizing the Russian war regime would be prominently displayed in my house. To each his own.

True but historically they helped us win the war. If that poster were from the late 40's or beyond I'd be a little more dismayed.

True but historically they helped us win the war. If that poster were from the late 40's or beyond I'd be a little more dismayed.

The Russians were the only country to start the war on the side of the Axis with Nazi Germany (Russia attacked Poland, Finland, Lithuania, Estonia, Latvia, Romania). Russia attached Finland because they felt Finland had territory too close to their Baltic sea port at Leningrad. After Germany attacked Russia they switched sides to be allied with the USA and UK.

The Finns made a deal with Nazi Germany to help hold off the attacking Russians. Because of that the Finns got treated like a defeated Axis country. Finland is the only country that has paid back the USA for money it borrowed or owed.

The Russians are really slick in WWII, but they were afraid of the Finns

633511023806381728-finland---be-afraid-very-afraid.jpg

The Russians were the only country to start the war on the side of the Axis with Nazi Germany (Russia attacked Poland, Finland, Lithuania, Estonia, Latvia, Romania). Russia attached Finland because they felt Finland had territory too close to their Baltic sea port at Leningrad. After Germany attacked Russia they switched sides to be allied with the USA and UK.

The Finns made a deal with Nazi Germany to help hold off the attacking Russians. Because of that the Finns got treated like a defeated Axis country. Finland is the only country that has paid back the USA for money it borrowed or owed.

The Russians are really slick in WWII, but they were afraid of the Finns

633511023806381728-finland---be-afraid-very-afraid.jpg

If you have a man your troops called the White Death on the other side, you have a good reason to be afraid.

Actually, that poster and the "We Can DO It!" poster would look pretty cool next to each other.

Do you even realize what you're saying ?

As war/history memorabilia I could see these in a collection, but the Carneys aren't displaying these posters as war memorabilia, are they ? The optics are very bad given the jobs both hold, one as the propagandist for the president and the other as a propagandist for ABC.

Apparently you don't. :laugh: But to many the photos speak volumes about who the Carneys are. Btw, do you have posters urging enlistment in the Soviet army displayed in your kitchen ? Doubt it. But then again you aren't the WH press secretary either, are you ?

I think Zhukov would tell you that the US helped Russia win the war. This is not a really good thing to debate. They took the war to Hitler far before we ever started to return fire.

I think Zhukov would tell you that the US helped Russia win the war. This is not a really good thing to debate. They took the war to Hitler far before we ever started to return fire.

I'm familiar with the history for goodness sake. I also know that the two front war made it possible for an ally victory. What kid idiot has hanging on his wall shouldn't be a shocker to anyone who understands this administration. I'm just being realistic about it.

I'm familiar with the history for goodness sake. I also know that the two front war made it possible for an ally victory. What kid idiot has hanging on his wall shouldn't be a shocker to anyone who understands this administration. I'm just being realistic about it.

Well Baghdad Bob Carney is not a paragon of integrity on any front. I dont think he admires propaganda. IMHO, the man is too stupid to really know what propaganda truly is.

In a town known for liars, Baghdad Bob Carney is not only one of the biggest, he is also one of the worst, if not THE WORST.

Think about that for a moment. Carney actually thinks he is doing a pretty good job at telling us that when America pays it females the same as its males in equal jobs yet the AVERAGE woman gets only .77 on the dollar in pay it is completely different that with the same set of facts the WH still averages paying its females only .82 or .88 on the dollar. BBC, it is the same thing.

I honestly feel for the guy. He is in a lose-lose job. How he gets up in the morning and looks himself in the mirror and doesnt want to vomit is beyond me. Maybe he really has fallen for the Nietzschean "noble lie" fallacy.

Well, defeating the Wehrmacht was certainly "convenient" all right.

Not declaring war on Japan until after we dropped 2 atomic weapons on japan in august of 1945 and it looked like they would be left out of any reparations or territorial gains from Japan was also convenient.

Not declaring war on Japan until after we dropped 2 atomic weapons on japan in august of 1945 and it looked like they would be left out of any reparations or territorial gains from Japan was also convenient.

Of course it was, at least for them. So what? It's hardly comparable from a military standpoint.

Well, by that logic the US was just as bad - we let Hitler take over pretty much the entirety of Europe and had to wait for Pearl Harbor before we got involved militarily.

But the Russians did nothing and paid no price in the war on japan. We paid a hell of a price helping defeat the Germans.

But the Russians did nothing and paid no price in the war on japan. We paid a hell of a price helping defeat the Germans.

I don't think that line of argument works once you consider the relative sacrifices of the parties.

And it's not like we didn't want or ask them to declare war on Japan.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soviet%E2%80%93Japanese_War_(1945)

I am by no means a scholar on this subject, but I've seen argued that it was the Russians declaration of war that may have pushed Japan into surrender in addition to the atom bombs. I have no real opinion on it.

I can assure you the atomic bombs had a far more impact on the Japanese than any Russian threat.

Actually, they had already been enduring bombings as bad as - or worse - than the atomic bombings without surrendering. It's not as simple as you assume.

Archived