2014 Spring Practice - Day 12

RunInRed

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Agree about Coates. He has an NFL body and obviously great speed that will be able to take the top off the defense at the next level.

Does barbers dad have any eligibility left?

That's what I was wondering. Guy looks like he could suit up right now! I'll bet Peyton doesn't give him any lip!

Agree about Coates. He has an NFL body and obviously great speed that will be able to take the top off the defense at the next level.

And to think that not many schools wanted him. Love seeing guys prove the naysayers wrong.

Its been a good while since we've had a WR be successfull in the NFL. I expect Coates and hope Duke change that soon!

I don't care which one it is, I just want to see a WR go after the ball and make plays not just expect them to happen. We did see Coates show some of this late last year. Looking for some great catches this year.

I really believe Coates is going to open some NFL scouts eyes and jaws

I agree. I think having both him and Williams is going to give defenses fits to begin with, and I think this is going to open the rest of the passing game...and that's on top of what will be among the best rushing attacks in the country.

I'm really starting to believe that this offense could do the same thing Tulsa's offense did in Malzahn's second year as OC there, even playing in the SEC. The possibilities are endless!

I agree. I think having both him and Williams is going to give defenses fits to begin with, and I think this is going to open the rest of the passing game...and that's on top of what will be among the best rushing attacks in the country.

I'm really starting to believe that this offense could do the same thing Tulsa's offense did in Malzahn's second year as OC there, even playing in the SEC. The possibilities are endless!

One thing that baffles me about Coates is how often he got open deep downfield in spite of playing the best defenses in college football and everyone knowing he's the deep threat.

I'd like to see him develop more in the intermediate game.

I'd love to see our passing game have some more slants and middle routes instead of just screens and deep balls.

One thing that baffles me about Coates is how often he got open deep downfield in spite of playing the best defenses in college football and everyone knowing he's the deep threat.

I'd love to see our passing game have some more slants and middle routes instead of just screens and deep balls.

I think Coates was getting open down field because we threw the ball like 20% of the time (lol might be a slight exaggeration) so defenses had to keep everyone closer to the line of scrimmage. As far as the intermediate game, I think we didn't see much of that dude to Marshall's inability to connect on those short-intermediate routes consistently. However, I think this year we will see a great improvement in that aspect of our offense. The prospect of having Coates, Duke, Ricardo, and Denson as the top 4 WRs is incredible --> we haven't had this much talent at WR since I've been following Auburn football (1996-97 is when I was old enough to remember/understand), and then throwing in Davis, Stevens, and Bray...sheeesh!

I think Coates was getting open down field because we threw the ball like 20% of the time (lol might be a slight exaggeration) so defenses had to keep everyone closer to the line of scrimmage. As far as the intermediate game, I think we didn't see much of that dude to Marshall's inability to connect on those short-intermediate routes consistently. However, I think this year we will see a great improvement in that aspect of our offense. The prospect of having Coates, Duke, Ricardo, and Denson as the top 4 WRs is incredible --> we haven't had this much talent at WR since I've been following Auburn football (1996-97 is when I was old enough to remember/understand), and then throwing in Davis, Stevens, and Bray...sheeesh!

Devin, Ben, C Taylor, and Mix was a pretty good group. But this group has the potential to be better. We'll see how it shapes up. Looking forward to this season!

Aromashodu, Obomanu, Taylor, and Mix was the only crew that I could think of that could rival the one on campus now. Anybody with a better memory care to compare how Karsten Bailey, Tyrone Goodson, Willie Gosha, and Robert Baker were as a WR unit compared to the previously mentioned group? Lol were they even all on the same roster? I was kind of young at the time.

Aromashodu, Obomanu, Taylor, and Mix was the only crew that I could think of that could rival the one on campus now. Anybody with a better memory care to compare how Karsten Bailey, Tyrone Goodson, Willie Gosha, and Robert Baker were as a WR unit compared to the previously mentioned group? Lol were they even all on the same roster? I was kind of young at the time.

Frank Sanders and Thomas Bailey were a more than formidable 1-2 punch in 93 and 94, and in 97 it was Goodson, Gosha, and Hicks Poor, along with Fred Beasley out of the backfield, who were on the receiving end of Dameyune Craig's passes, but this post is absolutely right: that bunch from 04 and 05 is quite probably the best group of receivers we've ever had, never mind being way out in front of the other groups of receivers being named.

And yes, this year's bunch has the potential to be better before it's all said and done. I wouldn't be too surprised to see Sammie taking a step out of the spotlight in spite of continued production on the field, because not only is Duke Williams a stud, we've got plenty more talent, too...and don't be surprised if Tony Stevens starts making a name for himself on the national stage. He, like Coates and Williams, is tall, rangy, and very, very fast. Then there's Quan Bray, Jaylon Denson, Marcus Davis, Ricardo Louis, Stanton Truitt...lots of potential!

Frank Sanders and Thomas Bailey were a more than formidable 1-2 punch in 93 and 94, and in 97 it was Goodson, Gosha, and Hicks Poor, along with Fred Beasley out of the backfield, who were on the receiving end of Dameyune Craig's passes, but this post is absolutely right: that bunch from 04 and 05 is quite probably the best group of receivers we've ever had, never mind being way out in front of the other groups of receivers being named.

And yes, this year's bunch has the potential to be better before it's all said and done. I wouldn't be too surprised to see Sammie taking a step out of the spotlight in spite of continued production on the field, because not only is Duke Williams a stud, we've got plenty more talent, too...and don't be surprised if Tony Stevens starts making a name for himself on the national stage. He, like Coates and Williams, is tall, rangy, and very, very fast. Then there's Quan Bray, Jaylon Denson, Marcus Davis, Ricardo Louis, Stanton Truitt...lots of potential!

What's more impressive is that when A, Obumanu, C Taylor and mix were sophomores and juniors they dropped more than their fair share of passes and had some serious growing pains. I was in person for most of those games. That makes me all the more confident that this crew can further develop and improve.

Of all the groups I've seen, Sanders/Bailey/Goodson/Gosha was probably the best. Add Andy Fuller and Harold Morrow out of the backfield, and that was a group of pass catchers that fit each other really, really well. The numbers won't pop off the page, but they were a fantastic group. Personally, Sanders was the best, true number one WR I've ever seen at Auburn. Only Ronney Daniels' 1999 season really compares (then he fell off). Bailey was a great second banana, Fuller was a big body over the middle, Goodson/Gosha were long options on the edge. A really good fit.

As good as Obomanu, Taylor, Aromashodu, and Mix were (and I was in school with them, was pretty good friends with one of them, and maintain the 2004 team was the best Auburn team in my lifetime), they never quite found the mix. Obomanu was, by far, the most talented. He should've been the go-to guy, but he really didn't find that gear in 2004 (he flashed it in 2003 and found it in 2005). Aromashodu was up and down, and we really didn't utilize him as a downfield threat the way we could/should have. There were only so many balls to go around, and Cadillac/Ronnie/CT/Obomanu took most of them. CT had an amazing 2004. He was everything you wanted in a possession WR, but he lacked burst. That physical limitation put a ceiling on him. We asked him to be WR1, which was probably the wrong move.

This coming year has a chance. I thought we overextended Sammie at times last year. Louis, for all his physical tools, was just too inconsistent. It wasn't just as a pass catcher. If he no-showed, it bled into his rushing effort and his blocking as well. He has the tools, but if he's the same guy as last year, he's getting cut out of (or at least way back in) the rotation. If Duke can be our go-to guy, Sammie slots in as an over-qualified deep threat, and we find the right fit at slot (it could be Louis, I'm not writing him off... he just as to improve), this group could be really special.

This coming year has a chance. I thought we overextended Sammie at times last year. Louis, for all his physical tools, was just too inconsistent. It wasn't just as a pass catcher. If he no-showed, it bled into his rushing effort and his blocking as well. He has the tools, but if he's the same guy as last year, he's getting cut out of (or at least way back in) the rotation. If Duke can be our go-to guy, Sammie slots in as an over-qualified deep threat, and we find the right fit at slot (it could be Louis, I'm not writing him off... he just as to improve), this group could be really special.

Don't forget, both Davis and Stevens showed flashes as true freshmen. Plus, there is a lot of subdued rumbling about Truitt going around, right now, and Melvin Ray has been getting some solid press, recently, too. I wouldn't be surprised to see some mixing it up at several of the positions, just to keep the D guessing.

From all of the intentionally subdued talk coming out of spring practice, I have to agree that this group has a VERY good chance of being special. I just hope they can block as good as they can run routes and catch.

Don't forget, both Davis and Stevens showed flashes as true freshmen. Plus, there is a lot of subdued rumbling about Truitt going around, right now, and Melvin Ray has been getting some solid press, recently, too. I wouldn't be surprised to see some mixing it up at several of the positions, just to keep the D guessing.

From all of the intentionally subdued talk coming out of spring practice, I have to agree that this group has a VERY good chance of being special. I just hope they can block as good as they can run routes and catch.

melvin ray is easy to forget about but made some plays late. nice to have a 4th or 5th option that talented.

I can think of 5 WRs that have the potential to be studs this year (IMO): Duke, Sammie, Marcus, Stevens, Truitt. That's not even counting CJ at TE.

The rest aren't slouches either, BTW.

We're stacked.

BTW, Tony Stevens is listed (by AU) as 6-4 198 lbs. Coming out of HS he was listed as 6-3 175 lbs. Are these accurate?

I haven't seen much video of him, does he look thicker? Very excited to see how he develops over the next couple of years.

Alvin Bresler, Dick Schmaltz, and Terry Beasley.

BTW, Tony Stevens is listed (by AU) as 6-4 198 lbs. Coming out of HS he was listed as 6-3 175 lbs. Are these accurate?

I haven't seen much video of him, does he look thicker? Very excited to see how he develops over the next couple of years.

I actually live right next to Tony in South Donahue. If anyone was wondering, he's got a heck of a speaker system. In other news, I have also learned some new rap songs this year. Yes the two are related.

As for his size, he is definitely every bit of 6-4. I am about 6-0 (on a good day at least) and I still have to look up at him. As for 198, if that is accurate, he has got a lot of lean muscle. I'd guess that he'd be more around 180-190.

Alvin Bresler, Dick Schmaltz, and Terry Beasley.

Remember in 1988, we had Lawyer Tillman, Ace Wright, Shayne Wasden and Freddie Weygand. That was a pretty good group there.

I actually live right next to Tony in South Donahue. If anyone was wondering, he's got a heck of a speaker system. In other news, I have also learned some new rap songs this year. Yes the two are related.

As for his size, he is definitely every bit of 6-4. I am about 6-0 (on a good day at least) and I still have to look up at him. As for 198, if that is accurate, he has got a lot of lean muscle. I'd guess that he'd be more around 180-190.

Thanks for the info!

BTW, which field of Engineering are you majoring in?

Archived