RunInRed

via Auburn Tigers Athletics

via Bryan Matthews

Auburn's defensive line gets ready for work at Auburn's Tuesday practice:

BlRBzGLCQAAXrRQ.jpg

Jeremy Johnson, Rhett Lashlee and an Auburn practice this Tuesday:

BlRBDe3IUAADOIN.jpg

@AUGoldMine

Practice notes: Ricardo Louis returned after missing time. Avery Young began at RT, Chad Slade at RG. Mincy, Therezie, Davis worked at PR.

@JHokanson

Once again, there was a focus on special teams during the early (and brief) viewing period Tuesday.

Nothing new, but Quan Bray, Ricardo Louis, Duke Williams, Stanton Truitt, Sammie Coates, Corey Grant and Johnathan Ford handled kickoffs.

As expected, Chad Slade was back working at right guard after mixing-and-matching at LG last week.

One more offensive line note, Patrick Miller stayed on the right side and switched with Avery Young at RT, Shon Coleman was at LT.

@AUBlog

Special teams work was on downing punts.

@JamesCrepea

I was listening to the local sports show yesterday on the radio. I believe their guest was a writer from Lindy's mag.

I found it very interesting that he picked Marshall as the best QB returning this year in the SEC. What really got my attention was when he mentioned Auburn as having something very unusual this year. He basically said that we might have the second best QB in the league as our backup. He stated that Jeremy Johnson would start for most of the other teams in the SEC.

Bodes well for the next three to four years.

Somebody will probably post the actual tweets faster than I can- or maybe there will be video later- but Ellis Johnson has one consistent message today: guys are BEAT. UP. on the defensive side. Expect to see a lot of them get little-to-no action Saturday.

EDIT: RunInRed pretty much rules the Internet.

|

|

\/

Ellis Johnson's post-practice presser ...

Auburn DC Ellis Johnson: "We're so much further ahead than we were last year, … the frustrating part is we've had more nagging injuries."

Johnson says about a dozen players have missed time this spring w/ injuries: "That's frustrating when you don't get to work with those guys"

Johnson on when injured DE Keymiya Harrell could return: "I don't know. … He was on that edge fighting for one of those 2-deep spots."

Johnson on Cassanova McKinzy learning Mike LB while dealing w/ injuries this spring: "It was a big hamper, it set him back quite a bit."

Johnson on Lawson: "Carl's had a great spring. … Our objective was making him an every-down player. He's a much more complete player."

Johnson on 'Rhino' package with bigger DL: "I think that's something we will utilize against (power teams like Ala., LSU, UGA)."

Johnson: "Right now we're just making a lot of plays we didn't make last spring … we're just a lot further along as we were last year."

Johnson on injured Josh Holsey: "We still feel like with Holsey coming back, we still have a wildcard." Called him "a legitimate starter."

Johnson on his overall assessment of spring practices: "Overall it was sort of a herky-jerky spring."

Johnson on converted CB Trovon Reed, a WR last year: "I think he's at home, it's a very natural position for him."

Johnson on A-Day hype: "We're trying to put on the same show we did last year, so we're hoping for a similar crowd."

@AUBlog

Defensive coordinator Ellis Johnson says Auburn has hadn't a full scrimmage in the last two weeks because of injuries.

Defensive coordinator Ellis Johnson on spring practice: "We're making a lot of plays we didn't make last spring. We're just a lot better."

Auburn's Ellis Johnson says spring challenge was "probably trying to make progress with so many guys out."

@AUGoldMine

Ellis Johnson says he's not sure what the update is to Tyler Nero's status with the team.

Ellis Johnson says Montravius Adams is athletic enough to play DE, thinks it'll be Owens or Daniel ultimately but likes options.

Questions to Ellis Johnson are less who will fill wholes, more who will win in competitive spots.

Ellis Johnson say Elijah Daniel had a "very average" spring due to missed time with groin injury.

Malzahn will make final decision but several veteran players will not see much time in A-Day and several injured guys will not play at all.

@JamesCrepea

Josh Holsey is considered a "wild card" by Johnson, who called him "a legitimate starter."

@wareagleextra

Johnson said a bruised tailbone caused Cassanova McKinzy to miss significant time this spring, hampered his progress at MLB.

@JHokanson

Trovon Reed is at the podium ...

Trovon Reed, wearing No. 25 like Richard Sherman, wants to wear No. 37 in the fall for Ladarious Phillips. Kamryn Melton wearing 37 now.

@bmarcello

Reed: "I'm not a quitter, I'm a competitor .. if they want to put me at kicker, I'll do that."

@AUBlog

Reed on moving to CB: "it's a learning process. It's not as easy as I thought."

@jamescrepea

Auburn cornerback Trovon Reed says he gives his spring grade a C+ as he learns a new position. "I'm going to keep getting better and better"

@AUGoldMine

Reed says that "coming out of high school I always wanted to play corner." Says he couldn't turn down playing WR in Gus Malzahn's offense.

@wareagleextra

Reed raves about WR D'haquille Williams: "He deserves every star he got" in recruiting rankings.

@jzenor

Peyton Barber says his spring is going well, likes to learn by doing.

@JamesCrepea

Barber on last season: "I liked going on the scout team. It gave me a chance to get better."

Barber says he's dyslexic and also battles with ADHD. Admits that's why it "takes me longer to learn plays" than most players.

@wareagleextra

Peyton Barber says his biggest thing is learning the plays.

@JoelAEricksonAU

Auburn's Jeff Whitaker missed last season with an injury, so "this spring has been very important to me."

@AUGoldMine

Whitaker on missing last year: "I knew I could overcome this."

Jeff Whitaker says he tried to keep everyone in perspective: "now we're the hunted."

@JamesCrepea

Jeff Whitaker on missing last season: "I was looking at coming back around Texas A&M." Says he didn't feel comfortable where he was at then.

Whitaker jokes that he, Jaylon Denson, Josh Holsey and Justin Garrett formed "The Injured Clique" last season.

Whitaker says his responsibility is to bring his teammates "back to Earth" after all the crazy finishes the team had last year.

@wareagleextra

Whitaker said his knee, which cost him all last season, is close to 100 percent. "We're getting there."

Jeff Whitaker gives himself an A for his progress this spring.

@AUBlog

I'm a bit nervous from his quotes about how ole Ellis' plans to use the Rhino this year and hoping it's just for specific situations like goal line & probable short yardage plays. He's historically a pretty macho, overpower the other guy DC (his current finesse "star" system era notwithstanding). Putting our beefed up D line guys in for play after play against O lines like Bama, LSU, Miss St & UGA with our current player types would be dicey IMO. Sure our Rhino has big, strong guys, but not compared to those O lines that have been historically stymied consistetly only by mixing in power with stunting faster lighter athletic D linemen in combo with blitzing on occasion from different angels/positions. He's making the big bucks and in EJ we trust...but I hope the thinking is not to use this cast of characters to win on D in the SEC by pounding O line all game long before they pound us.

I'm a bit nervous from his quotes about how ole Ellis' plans to use the Rhino this year and hoping it's just for specific situations like goal line & probable short yardage plays. He's historically a pretty macho, overpower the other guy DC (his current finesse "star" system era notwithstanding). Putting our beefed up D line guys in for play after play against O lines like Bama, LSU, Miss St & UGA with our current player types would be dicey IMO. Sure our Rhino has big, strong guys, but not compared to those O lines that have been historically stymied consistetly only by mixing in power with stunting faster lighter athletic D linemen in combo with blitzing on occasion from different angels/positions. He's making the big bucks and in EJ we trust...but I hope the thinking is not to use this cast of characters to win on D in the SEC by pounding O line all game long before they pound us.

My biggest issue with our defense last year was that a HB Dive (a play that usually only gets a few yards) would always be >20 yard gain against us. Look back at the LSU and Alabama game.

My biggest issue with our defense last year was that a HB Dive (a play that usually only gets a few yards) would always be >20 yard gain against us. Look back at the LSU and Alabama game.

It happened in the first half of the LSU game because EJ tried to install an insufficiently practiced 5-man front. He scrapped it in the 2nd half and things got much better. I'd have to re-watch the IB to see how much of it happened there.

It happened in the first half of the LSU game because EJ tried to install an insufficiently practiced 5-man front. He scrapped it in the 2nd half and things got much better. I'd have to re-watch the IB to see how much of it happened there.

Not to be a Mikey echo but a lot of that is on LB play.. I know the D-line needs to stop the run but LBs have to fill gaps and make the tackle when they do fill the gaps

Makes me sick to my stomach thinking that T. Reed should have been at corner the entire time. Maybe he can pull a Richard Sherman and convert quickly but who knows.

T Reed has been nothing but a great Auburn man and if it works out great for Auburn, but bigger props to him for taking on the challenge....look at Omac, learning db now in the NFL.

T Reed has been nothing but a great Auburn man and if it works out great for Auburn, but bigger props to him for taking on the challenge....look at Omac, learning db now in the NFL.

I still disagree with that move for OMac

Got to watch practice today. My notes from this spring compared to last:

1. Wide receiving corp is impressive. When Sammie is now the second best receiver on the team, that's a great thing.

2. Marshall looks comfortable but not non-chalant. He is moving players to the right spots. Passes look crisper and with more touch in the intermediate areas.

3. Our defense is improved greatly. I liked the physical nature of our DBs and they fight for the ball.

4. I think we are going to miss our kickers. May be a big factor this year.

5. Love Rhett. More vocal and assertive this year.

6. Players love D Craig.

7. I like when therezie and Garrett are playing at the same time. We need a good roaming middle LB. Hopeful once everyone is healthy we are more solid there.

8. oLine will be fine...amazing depth.

9. cap will be a great one.

10. Worried about our hBack fullback situation. For whatever reason Fulse and bunch don't look comfortable at receiving or blocking. This may be because everyone else on offense looks so polished. (Hoping)

11. Auburn still just couple pieces away from making solid runs at the championship year after year in my opinion. Mostly on the defensive side.

12. Growth from both physical and mental aspect from last year is amazing! Last years teAm at this point struggled to get basic plays off. Now seems so confident and determined. Good signs

Ok that's all. I enjoyed the day! War Eagle!!!

1. Wide receiving corp is impressive. When Sammie is now the second best receiver on the team, that's a great thing.

2. Marshall looks comfortable but not non-chalant. He is moving players to the right spots. Passes look crisper and with more touch in the intermediate areas.

3. Our defense is improved greatly. I liked the physical nature of our DBs and they fight for the ball.

6. Players love D Craig.

7. I like when therezie and Garrett are playing at the same time. We need a good roaming middle LB. Hopeful once everyone is healthy we are more solid there.

10. Worried about our hBack fullback situation. For whatever reason Fulse and bunch don't look comfortable at receiving or blocking. This may be because everyone else on offense looks so polished. (Hoping)

11. Auburn still just couple pieces away from making solid runs at the championship year after year in my opinion. Mostly on the defensive side.

12. Growth from both physical and mental aspect from last year is amazing! Last years teAm at this point struggled to get basic plays off. Now seems so confident and determined. Good signs

Thanks for posting the in-person update. I am concerned about the kicking game too. No one is talking about it. I am looking forward to A day.

6. Players love D Craig.

Thanks for passing on the info, passthebiscuits!

Archived