Threat to Auburn's campus

WarEagle1983

Just wanted to send out the alert. Security will be beefed up around campus and students are urged to report anything suspicious. It's some sick people in this world today. SMH.

The Auburn Plainsman@TheAUPlainsman14m

UPDATE: Alleged threat to Auburn's campus under investigation http://theplainsman.com/view/full_story/24936875/article-Updated--Alleged-threat-to-Auburn-s-campus-under-investigation?instance=home_news_1st_right … pic.twitter.com/uoCRoDHwU6

The Auburn Plainsman@TheAUPlainsman4m

UPDATE: The threat was located in the men's restroom on the 2nd floor of the Haley Center, 2nd quadrant.

Hopefully It's just a hoax and nothing happens. You never know though, so always be safe. People have been saying that police are all over campus.

Another update:

AU cancelled classes and normal operations for April 16,2014. I got my text at 7:11 AM this morning.

If you have any loved ones on campus, make sure you get in touch with them and urge them to take it easy and be safe today. No sense in not taking it seriously only to have something happen.

Edit:

For those who haven't seen it, the message reads:

TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN...

On April 16th, 2014 I will unleash a rampage of biblical proportions onto this tiny campus... YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED.

Absolutely disgusting, especially on the anniversary of the Virginia Tech shootings.

Everybody on campus please stay safe. Hopefully this is just an empty threat to get attention.

Where's Harvey? You would have to think someone just thought this funny while sitting on the can. How many true nutjobs ever gave such a specific warning? Maybe some kid just wanted out of his English Comp exam.

Where's Harvey? You would have to think someone just thought this funny while sitting on the can. How many true nutjobs ever gave such a specific warning? Maybe some kid just wanted out of his English Comp exam.

Most likely what this is but much better safe than the alternative

Maybe exactly what this is about. But better to err on the side of caution - there are some disturbed people walking among us.

Nutjobs frequently leave warnings (see Va Tech massacre) that are taken lightly or ignored. As already stated, better safe than sorry. Can't say I'm thrilled at the campus police initial "response" to the pre-med student's reports, at least according to Caleb's own narrative, especailly in light of the rash of campus shootings in recent years.

My daughter just moved back to Auburn for a job this past weekend. At least she is not on campus. Those of you who are, stay safe. Keep your ears open to see if there's anyone joking around about doing this. It's not funny. I wonder if they will continue extra police presence through A-Day weekend. I hope they do security searches of people going in the stadium. I'm still going and won't be scared off by some nut job. I hope everyone else goes ahead with their A-Day plans as well. War Eagle!

Quick update guys:

As some of you know, I live in the S. Donahue dorm, so I do live on campus. I decided to get lunch with my girlfriend and another friend on campus but in one of the lesser-known restaurants. As I was walking down the hall in the dorm, I ran into 2 football players, who were laughing about the situation, trying to enjoy their day. They didn't seem to messed up about what's going on.

On the way to lunch, at lunch, and on the way back, I noticed that there were police EVERYWHERE. And when I say everywhere, I mean that I heard the manager of the restaurant saying that they were posting policemen outside every public area. We sat outside and ate, and there were 2 right behind us (I could have reached out and touched them). Between the time that we got there and the time that they left, they were replaced by 2 more officers, and the original 2 went and did rounds.

Campus is absolutely dead. There is nobody out and about, and students are doing a good job of just taking it easy and laying low today.

That's all I got. So far, so good.

Hopefully It's just a hoax and nothing happens. You never know though, so always be safe. People have been saying that police are all over campus.

I really hope they get some leads and find the person. With all the attacks having occurred at schools and work places doing something like that even if a hoax should be punishable to the fullest extent. Glad Auburn police and campus security took some type of precaution. Something could occur at any day or time but i would rather they be proactive.

Thanks for the info! I am hoping that this is just some guy who wanted out of class today. If it is, it worked!

This is why part of me hates they cancelled classes today. As a student, I'm glad they're taking steps to try and keep this campus safe. But at the same time, I worry about there being a precedent set now that a threat gets class cancelled. I'd like to think that won't get abused, but it wouldn't shock me to see something like this pop up again at the beginning of finals week. Which is a shame considering this is one of the last things that should ever be joked about or used as a tool to get out of a test you didn't prepare for.

On April 16th, 2014 I will unleash a rampage of biblical proportions onto this tiny campus... YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED.

Why didn't we hear about this yesterday then? That seems like a great thing to put out on AU Alert. Of course, AU Alert didn't work for me today, or my brother. We were both about to head to campus when a friend warned us...

Thanks for the info! I am hoping that this is just some guy who wanted out of class today. If it is, it worked!

This is why part of me hates they cancelled classes today. As a student, I'm glad they're taking steps to try and keep this campus safe. But at the same time, I worry about there being a precedent set now that a threat gets class cancelled. I'd like to think that won't get abused, but it wouldn't shock me to see something like this pop up again at the beginning of finals week. Which is a shame considering this is one of the last things that should ever be joked about or used as a tool to get out of a test you didn't prepare for.

This happened multiple times at UT-Chattanooga last year. Bomb threats were reported several times over a couple weeks' timespan.

I understand what you're saying but you simply cannot take such threats lightly any more. When I was there, over 40 years ago, we'd have brushed it off. But nowadays any threat can be serious and you never know what kind of nut job may be loose...and it only takes one, with one gun to break a lot of people's hearts.

Why didn't we hear about this yesterday then? That seems like a great thing to put out on AU Alert. Of course, AU Alert didn't work for me today, or my brother. We were both about to head to campus when a friend warned us...

I'd check your AUAlert settings on AUAccess, because I got alerts both last night and this morning by email and text message. Something may be wrong with your alert settings.

Players react: http://www.al.com/sp...etes_react.html

This brings me to another point. J Diamond is one of the nicest guys you'll ever meet. Cool guy for sure.

I have lived in S. Donahue for almost 2 semesters (2 weeks until the semester ends) and I see these guys on a daily basis. I can honestly say that all of these guys are extremely courteous, even with seemingly everyday things like holding an elevator or opening a door for someone with their hands full. If you start a conversation with a player, they will generally be very talkative and just generally cool guys. For instance I live near Deon Mix and see him pretty regularly. He's a super nice guy.

Archived