Nick Marshall #20 player in nation

WarEagle84

Per Sporting News

QB Nick Marshall, Auburn

212444-375-264.jpg Nick Marshall (AP Photo)

So he’s not the prettiest thrower. Does that really matter when he’s running Auburn’s zone read-based offense—and how he’s a threat to score on every play? If he gets better as a thrower, he’ll rocket to the top five of this list.

That's a fair assessment by last year's performance. I definitely see him rocketing to the top 5 this year. A legitimate Heisman contender.

Somehow, they rank TJ Yeldon at #15. Not seeing that one.

"#14, QB Taysom Hill

Still learning as a thrower (accuracy, decision-making), but no one runs the zone read play better. Once he gets more comfortable as a thrower, he could develop into the game’s best player. He’s that talented."

No one runs the zone read better? Not sure about that one.

If Taysom Hill is #14 and TJ Yeldon #15, then Marshall should definitely be higher. Don't get me wrong, Taysom is a good runner - but just because he put a couple hundred yards rushing on a soft Texas run defense doesn't mean he's that elite. Marshall got more yards against tougher opponents than Hill. And quite frankly, he way outplayed Yeldon in the Iron Bowl. Its just another case of the Media ignoring the facts and sucking the teet (among other parts) of 'Bama. No worries though; they'll all be proven wrong by the end of the season; including the Jameis bandwagon - we'll all see his inaccuracies this season now that his most experienced receivers are gone. I just hope we get FSU in the playoffs this year so we can pummel them good this time. But the real question is: will Jameis even be there when the season starts? Or will he be in an orange jumpsuit in a Tallahassee courthouse by then :dunno:

This is a contrarian, hipster, look-how-unique-my-perspective-is piece designed to stir up debate and page views. How many jort-wearing FSU fans do you think are going to flood that site w/ traffic to complain about Winston not being picked first?

Offseason click fodder. And they played their hand well. Marcus Mariota... lol.

This is a contrarian, hipster, look-how-unique-my-perspective-is piece designed to stir up debate and page views. How many jort-wearing FSU fans do you think are going to flood that site w/ traffic to complain about Winston not being picked first?

While I somewhat agree with you, the wording of your post seems a little harsh. I mean everybody has to make money and writers have it pretty tough. It's a nice look at how someone from another part of the country sees the CFB world and it's nice that we have a QB in there.

While I somewhat agree with you, the wording of your post seems a little harsh. I mean everybody has to make money and writers have it pretty tough. It's a nice look at how someone from another part of the country sees the CFB world and it's nice that we have a QB in there.

If it changes your take on what I wrote at all, Marshall at 20 doesn't bother me at all.

You might be right about the rest, but I'm okay w/ what I wrote. End of the day, I just don't want any AU fans getting worked up about anybody releasing any "best of" lists in April.

Harsh or not; no one made them go into writing/journalism. Like any other profession, if you can`t stand the heat,don`t go near the fire. JMHO

If Taysom Hill is #14 and TJ Yeldon #15, then Marshall should definitely be higher. Don't get me wrong, Taysom is a good runner - but just because he put a couple hundred yards rushing on a soft Texas run defense doesn't mean he's that elite. Marshall got more yards against tougher opponents than Hill. And quite frankly, he way outplayed Yeldon in the Iron Bowl. Its just another case of the Media ignoring the facts and sucking the teet (among other parts) of 'Bama. No worries though; they'll all be proven wrong by the end of the season; including the Jameis bandwagon - we'll all see his inaccuracies this season now that his most experienced receivers are gone. I just hope we get FSU in the playoffs this year so we can pummel them good this time. But the real question is: will Jameis even be there when the season starts? Or will he be in an orange jumpsuit in a Tallahassee courthouse by then :dunno:

Well Jameis still has Green...probably their most complete and consistent receiver...he still has weapons but i think most of the OL were seniors so we'll see how that hurts them

Hard to rate a player based on what he means to a team.....IMO it was Nick that enabled AU to raise it's offense to the level we saw by the end of the year...and his "potential" when keeping the ball on the read-option certainly made it possible for Tre to catch defenders watching NM when they should have been paying attention to him.

But...if Nick went down during the season....I'm of the opinion that AU would march on with JJ at QB without too much hesitation. Nick is indeed talented but it's Gus and it's the OL that are going to make the AU offense move again this year. Can't wait to see it.

I find it hilarious that Hill is on the list at all. He comes in, has a couple of monster games. Then he struggles, throwing picks and getting stoned at the line of scrimmage down the stretch.

... I just don't want any AU fans getting worked up about anybody releasing any "best of" lists in April.

I don't see anybody getting worked up. Just idle banter to pass away the off-season. Unfortunately, we have 4 more months before we can see the real thing again.

It is going to be so fun to watch everybody prepping for last year's offense while Gus & NM are running the new, improved version this fall. Grasping at air...

... I just don't want any AU fans getting worked up about anybody releasing any "best of" lists in April.

I don't see anybody getting worked up. Just idle banter to pass away the off-season. Unfortunately, we have 4 more months before we can see the real thing again.

Not yet, but somebody usually does.

And I obviously appreciate and partake in idle banter to pass away the off-season :)

It is going to be so fun to watch everybody prepping for last year's offense while Gus & NM are running the new, improved version this fall. Grasping at air...

This was the only advantage Malzahn had previously when he'd never have the same QB. You could never prepare for the same attack twice.

This was the only advantage Malzahn had previously when he'd never have the same QB. You could never prepare for the same attack twice.

And he still has that advantage, because his offense is so versatile that he can change it up on you when you least expect it. I guarantee you that our offense, next year, won't be the same as last year. There will be similarities, but defensive coordinators are still having nightmares because they don't know what to expect.

Archived