A Deal Reached

Proud Tiger

On the surface this looks like a positive step. Let's hope so. Kerry sure has rolled the dice though. If this deal falls thru seems to me he is finished. I'm not a Kerry fan but I hope this leads to a real cooling off of U.S./Russian tensions.

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2014/04/17/deal-reached-on-calming-ukraine-tensions/

If any deal has been reached, it was at the cost of the West, and not Russia

That's good news.

I am curious, tho. honest, nonaccusatory question. A couple weeks ago we had that "most incompetent appointee" thread, and someone said "Kerry." I disagreed on that on the basis that he is as about as respected as it gets in DC when it comes to FP matters.

If it doesn't immediately fall through, does this change anyone's mind on him?

As said, if this deal falls thru I think Kerry is toast. JMHO.

Just a question, Obama and Kerry keep talking about" consequences." Can someone define consequences for me because I haven't seen any in Syria, Crimera or anywhere else.

As said, if this deal falls thru I think Kerry is toast. JMHO.

Just a question, Obama and Kerry keep talking about" consequences." Can someone define consequences for me because I haven't seen any in Syria, Crimera or anywhere else.

He is specifically talking about the EU/UN/IMF economic sanctions. It may not satisfy our blowing things up sensibilities, but they are having a pretty significant effect. I do not have a link- my computer just pooped the bed.

Time will tell but I think Russia knows that it can take most of Ukraine through proxy. They are going to mettle until it's theirs.

That's good news.

I am curious, tho. honest, nonaccusatory question. A couple weeks ago we had that "most incompetent appointee" thread, and someone said "Kerry." I disagreed on that on the basis that he is as about as respected as it gets in DC when it comes to FP matters.

If it doesn't immediately fall through, does this change anyone's mind on him?

This is a shell of a deal. John Kerry is NOT the guy to negotiate with Labrov or Putin. This deal doesn't even allow Ukrainians to enforce Ukanian law in east Ukraine. All the power here is ceded to the Russian interests. Putin and Labrov are thinking empire building with decades as their frame of reference and Obama and Kerry are thnking strictly in a political context trying to get through THIS event.

When John Kerry lied about POWs and the Vietnam War I knew he was a pig and would always be a pig.

http://www.snopes.com/politics/kerry/swift.asp

http://www.freerepub...s/1236286/posts

Well it's early but after one day Putin's strategy seems clear. He is abiding by the agreement and not using Russian troops to advance his interest. BUT armed Russian separists are continuing to take over gov't buildings and aid the takeover. They are not a part of the agreement. So t's a win win for Putin and he may make fools of Obama and Kerry....again.

I'm anxious to see how the Ukrainian government handles the buildings, and am anxious to see if a large-scale attempt to dislodge the pro-russian forces will cause Russia to intervene.

After seeing what the Russian markets are doing? Obama. I wouldn't have thought so 2 weeks ago, but apparently those EU sanctions are causing havoc in their markets, and I think he's going to start having some serious internal pressure to come to a diplomatic solution.

Aucto......Putin could not care less about the Russian stock market having a setback. It's not hurting him and he knows it is likely to be a short term correction anyhow. If Obama really wanted to give him "consequences" there are much more severe actions he could take that would have more serious impacts.

Putin is winning at this point and very likely will get everything he wants, most if not all of Ukraine What has Obama got since the Ukraine crisis began? To me he has lost to date by demonstrating to the world how wear he is. All smoke, no fire.

Aucto......Putin could not care less about the Russian stock market having a setback. It's not hurting him and he knows it is likely to be a short term correction anyhow. If Obama really wanted to give him "consequences" there are much more severe actions he could take that would have more serious impacts.

Putin is winning at this point and very likely will get everything he wants, most if not all of Ukraine What has Obama got since the Ukraine crisis began? To me he has lost to date by demonstrating to the world how wear he is. All smoke, no fire.

We could at least be assisting the Ukranians a little more significantly than simply supplying them with Happy Meals. I dont know how ANYONE sees this deal as an Obama win, I swear, what a frickin joke. Ukranians are left unable to even enforce Ukranian law in eastern Ukraine and this is an Obama win? Apparently, for some, Obama wins everytime he makes another toothless idle threat, at least he didn't "red line" Putin.

Archived