Nick Marshall pre-season top SEC QB

AU64

But Coker at UAT is listed at number 5 and he's never taken a snap in the SEC ....so that kind of invalidates the poll in my view. I mean, who in the heck does stuff like that? I know it's Athlon...but gimme a break.

http://www.al.com/sp...ml#incart_river

On the other hand I guess, the shortage of real candidates shows the state of QB play in the SEC this coming season. After so many top players graduated I'm amazed that a guy, not even on campus .....and who could not get more than wrap-up time in 3 years at FSU is the projected as the 5th best in the SEC.

JJ has more snaps than him. Equivalent physical skills. A full year in this offense with returning OC. I think they were similarly hyped out of high school (have not looked up).

JJ should be at 5 before Coker.

It is pretty crazy the how many new QBs there will be in the SEC this season. Expect the offensive numbers for a lot of teams to go down accordingly. Everyone last year was saying what happened to the SEC rules with defense? Well I bet there is a lot less scoring in the conference this coming up season from teams not named AU :). But based on last year hands down Marshal is the best QB coming back. The only other candidates in my mind are Prescott and Mauck (Mizzou) and neither of them were full time starters.

If you're ranking all SEC QBs, JJ should be in the top 5. If you're only ranking the projected starters (as Athlon did), you have to rely on a lot of speculation and guesswork. Given everything I've read about such, it's not unreasonable to put Coker at #5. I mean, someone has to lead the team that most prognosticators are putting at #2 in preseason polls.

I think Marshall at 1 is a no brainer. I don't agree with Bo Wallace at 2 though. He has more experience than Mauck, but Mauck is a better quarterback IMO. Also , WE84 is right. Best quarterbacks in the league puts Jeremy on the list. Best starters keeps him off only because he won't start.

I think Marshall at 1 is a no brainer. I don't agree with Bo Wallace at 2 though. He has more experience than Mauck, but Mauck is a better quarterback IMO. Also , WE84 is right. Best quarterbacks in the league puts Jeremy on the list. Best starters keeps him off only because he won't start.

Wallace and Mauck are interchangeable imo, both showed promise last year and another year under their systems will do them both good. Prescott will fall victim to Mullen's inconsistencies but he was fun to watch.

Marshall is by far the clear winner here, I just hope he can live up to the expectations he set from last year. The supporting cast is there for a good run this year!

The SEC lost a lot in the way of signal callers from last year. But what is amazing to think about is that last season was "The Year of the Quarterback" in the SEC, but the draft will hardly show that. The conference had one of.the best overall classes of QB's it has ever had and it only has Johnny Football who is being considered as a potential top draft pick, and some aren't even sold on him.

This season I think we should all expect to be "The Year of the Cornerback". More interceptions thrown for most teams, but not AU!

I generally agree with Marshall and Wallace. I think UGA's Mason may prove better than UAT's Coker. Coker has not taken a practice snap yet, and Lame Kiffen has yet to coach him. Mason is a fifth-year senior in Richt's system. That should be a huge difference.

I think Ole Miss will be a SEC West contender in 2014.

JJ has more snaps than him. Equivalent physical skills. A full year in this offense with returning OC. I think they were similarly hyped out of high school (have not looked up).

JJ should be at 5 before Coker.

The list is for starting QBs, I agree with your assessment

Ranking starters, Nick is a no-brainer #1. I'd put Mauk second, then have Wallace and Prescott tied for third. The others are tough to call; but I'd put some stock in the idea that the O-line will determine a lot. In other words, QBs on teams with better o-lines are likely to perform better. That means South Carolina, aTm, and LSU would be next on my list. I'd put Driskell and Mason tied for 8th. The rest I have no clue.

I generally agree with Marshall and Wallace. I think UGA's Mason may prove better than UAT's Coker. Coker has not taken a practice snap yet, and Lame Kiffen has yet to coach him. Mason is a fifth-year senior in Richt's system. That should be a huge difference.

Wallace will have to get the INTs down for their offense to make the next jump. If he does, and the injuries don't pile up like they did last season, Ole Miss will be hard to beat.

Ole Miss will be more competitive this year, but there's little chance they contend for the SEC West crown. They play Alabama, aTm, UT, LSU, and Auburn during a 5-week stretch starting Oct 4. The chances they get through that stretch with fewer than 3 losses is pretty remote. They won't be a doormat, but I don't see them as a serious top 10 power either.

Athlon did a piece on the top 10 QB's of the BCS era. I am sure you can google it. They had Mccarron at #5 or 6. The reason I mention it is because you can absolutely tell they went back and either added him in or voiced over what was previously there (the lady talking becomes noticeably louder before returning to the same level as before after AJ).

Im sure it had to hurt listing a bammer below #1 and having AU at #1.

Coker at 5 lol he's thrown the ball 41 times in his career. Some teams surpass that in one GAME.

Meh, to be honest, I don't have a problem with Coker at #5, because playing QB at Bama successfully means limiting mistakes. Saban's offense isn't set up to be based around the QB, which is why AJ McCarron got so much hype (he WAS an actual play maker, even if he would have had a lot more difficulty playing for a team that pays less than NFL salaries).

I would put Mauck at #2, personally, but I can see the argument for any of 2-4 being in any of those three positions.

My sleeper alert is Jeff Driskel, because given some time to figure out the new offensive system he found himself in, he could turn in a heck of a year...

Speaking of Driskel...UF is moving towards more of a spread attack, right? Typically, it seems like transitioning from spread to pro style requires a year of transition, but moving from pro style to spread can be an easier on a team to succeed. I also think the light can come on for Driskel and turn UF around.

Speaking of Driskel...UF is moving towards more of a spread attack, right? Typically, it seems like transitioning from spread to pro style requires a year of transition, but moving from pro style to spread can be an easier on a team to succeed. I also think the light can come on for Driskel and turn UF around.

That's because the spread is a simple, gimmicky offense, remember?

That's because the spread is a simple, gimmicky offense, remember?

Has more to do with getting the ball to playmakers in space and letting them make plays, rather than relying on every block being made perfectly, if you ask me.

But I have no idea about UF's offense going forward. I do know that Driskel was initially recruited to run a spread, however, and I believe that's what he ran in high school, so maybe that will make a difference. :dunno:

I would put Mauk at #2, personally, but I can see the argument for any of 2-4 being in any of those three positions.

My sleeper alert is Jeff Driskel, because given some time to figure out the new offensive system he found himself in, he could turn in a heck of a year...

Agreed

Just IMHO...but I think Dak Prescott is maybe a little better than Bo Wallace.

Yep, maybe. 50-50; six of one, half a dozen of the other.Black gold; Texas tea.

yall do know his name is Mauk not Mauck

I did not, I was going by the spelling in the article, but upon further review you are correct, sir. :)

Marshall is a no brainer. In fact Marshall should be the leading contender for the Heisman. As for Wallace, I realize everyone else here agrees with him at 2nd, but I think both Mauk and Franklin at MO are better.

As for Coker, there is less reason to presume he will be an excellent QB this year than there was to presume that for Marshall last year. Marshall did at least play somewhere the previous season. Coker hasn't had any significant playing time since he was a sr in high school. And, of course, he won't be showing up on campus until Aug. Maybe he'll get good and Kiffinized in time to be the greatest thing since sliced bread, just like all other bama QBs. Note though; the last QBs from bama to make any significant contribution in the NFL were Namath and Stabler, and that's been a while. Some of their proclaimed saviors haven't even made a significant contribution in T'town.

I wouldn't think it wise to even presume that Coker will be their starter. I think it would be more prudent to approach things with the idea that someone already on hand, with someexperience, will start until and unless Coker steps up and shows differently.

Archived