Arky game will be on the SEC Network @ 3 CT

ellitor

Just a guess, but I doubt they will go head to head with the other networks in their customary time slots.

They have announced already that during football season they will be airing an early game, and afternoon game and an evening game. Part of the contract takes the exclusivity window away from CBS that they held from 2:30-6 (roughly) and opens the door for any SEC game to air opposite the CBS game (not applicable the first week because cbs won't air a game opening weekend).

Plus the new network will have some #1 choices over CBS. Translation: AU will be on the SEC Network quite a bit so call your cable or TV company and demand the channel.

That isn't true based on what I've read. CBS will maintain their first pick of games for the 2:30 slot, they just no longer hold the exclusive window to air SEC games. That opens the door for other networks to air SEC games at the same time.

That sucks! Putting it on a pay to view network, when we're already paying for the other ESPN channels. How much more will it cost to watch Auburn play now that this SEC Net is on?

The SEC Network is NOT a pay to view channel. Well, its not a separate stand alone pay to view channel at least not at this point in time.

So we're going to have to pay extra to watch an sec conference game? WTF

Its not an exclusive pay to view channel like has been mentioned in this thread. I'm not at all sure where some of you came up with this ridiculous notion. It's never EVER been said in any way shape or form that it was going to be a separate subscription fee (in addition to your current cable / satellite fee) to view this channel.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Where have you been for the last 6 months when we had this discussion about having to pay extra for the SEC network? ESPN is not cheap and will get any money they can out of you. If you don't want to pay for the SEC network, go to someone's house or actually go to the game.

I'd rather listen to Rd and Stan. Do we have your permission to do that please oh kind master?

Just a guess, but I doubt they will go head to head with the other networks in their customary time slots.

They have announced already that during football season they will be airing an early game, and afternoon game and an evening game. Part of the contract takes the exclusivity window away from CBS that they held from 2:30-6 (roughly) and opens the door for any SEC game to air opposite the CBS game (not applicable the first week because cbs won't air a game opening weekend).

Plus the new network will have some #1 choices over CBS. Translation: AU will be on the SEC Network quite a bit so call your cable or TV company and demand the channel.

That isn't true based on what I've read. CBS will maintain their first pick of games for the 2:30 slot, they just no longer hold the exclusive window to air SEC games. That opens the door for other networks to air SEC games at the same time.

That sucks! Putting it on a pay to view network, when we're already paying for the other ESPN channels. How much more will it cost to watch Auburn play now that this SEC Net is on?

The SEC Network is NOT a pay to view channel. Well, its not a separate stand alone pay to view channel at least not at this point in time.

Its not an exclusive pay to view channel like has been mentioned in this thread. I'm not at all sure where some of you came up with this ridiculous notion. It's never EVER been said in any way shape or form that it was going to be a separate subscription fee (in addition to your current cable / satellite fee) to view this channel.

Well most people got that ridiculous notion when the SEC Network announced what they'd be charging for their channel. Such a ridiculous notion; that when somebody charges for something it means you'll have to pay extra for it.

Where have you been for the last 6 months when we had this discussion about having to pay extra for the SEC network? ESPN is not cheap and will get any money they can out of you. If you don't want to pay for the SEC network, go to someone's house or actually go to the game.

I'd rather listen to Rd and Stan. Do we have your permission to do that please oh kind master?

I came off rude but that's not what I intended. My apologies.

Quick question, but with Cincy off on 8/30, and therefore Tubs, does anyone think this will be the game in which we commemorate the 10th anniversary of the '04 team? Yes, it's been 10 years.

:eek2:

I came off rude but that's not what I intended. My apologies.

I did hear that before. My assumption was that sec conference games might make ESPN... Especially when they open the season...

Wonder if that means it's an 11am game.

I rather doubt it, considering that AU is coming off BCSNCG birth and playing against a team whose head coach has been spouting off at the mouth enough that it's sure to garner attention...

After today...Ol Porky might want to keep his mouth shut! I can't wait!

At this point, it's getting close to the point that you can go to the game for the same price if your provider isn't carrying the network.

At this point, it's getting close to the point that you can go to the game for the same price if your provider isn't carrying the network.

You can always watch the game on the radio.

You can go to this website (http://getsecnetwork.com/) to see if your cable provider has signed an agreement with the SEC Network. I'm sure some will be added as the football season gets closer.

They were pimping the SECNetwork big time during the A-Day broadcast, both AT&T and Dish were displayed as the only providers so far, it was also mention that Brent would be at the game so that I assume this means we are the evening slot, but who knows. I already told DTV to shove it and went with AT&T. I told them it was because they aren't carrying the SECNetwork and the gave the BS about the we are in negotiations, I told the lady I am sick and tired of messing around just go in and make a deal and be done with it, however the real reason is I will save about $1,200 over the next two years, woot.

You can go to this website (http://getsecnetwork.com/) to see if your cable provider has signed an agreement with the SEC Network. I'm sure some will be added as the football season gets closer.

They were pimping the SECNetwork big time during the A-Day broadcast, both AT&T and Dish were displayed as the only providers so far, it was also mention that Brent would be at the game so that I assume this means we are the evening slot, but who knows. I already told DTV to shove it and went with AT&T. I told them it was because they aren't carrying the SECNetwork and the gave the BS about the we are in negotiations, I told the lady I am sick and tired of messing around just go in and make a deal and be done with it, however the real reason is I will save about $1,200 over the next two years, woot.

Lol. Yea they are the only two i've seen thus far that are on board. However i do think that as time gets closer more will hop on. They'd be stupid not to IMO. It's the freaking SEC. Just glad i'm set to go with AT&T.

I've read it in at least 2 articles I can remember. They want 2 or 3 number 1s to really promote and increase the demand for the network.

No way Auburn and Arkansas will be the 11am game since the "SEC Gameday" will be on the Plains doing the morning show like ESPN College Gameday.

We could very well have the night game.

No way Auburn and Arkansas will be the 11am game since the "SEC Gameday" will be on the Plains doing the morning show like ESPN College Gameday.

Can hardly wait to see Finebaum and Palmer doing the pre-game from AU on the 30th. What a thrill that will be ...or course the real question will be whether they can avoid spending all their time talking about the big game between Bama and WVa.....that is what will really have their interest.

Can hardly wait to see Finebaum and Palmer doing the pre-game from AU on the 30th. What a thrill that will be ...or course the real question will be whether they can avoid spending all their time talking about the big game between Bama and WVa.....that is what will really have their interest.

Sad but true. Finebaum will probably have a Saban/Kiffen interview, followed by a special commentary from Harvey Updyke.

Anyone who has comcast/xfinity as their cable provider needs to call and request that SEC Network be added to their options bc right now it isn't available. I called yesterday and talked to a customer assistant and told them if it isn't offered I'm switching companies. Only took 5 minutes and if enough people do this they'll be forced to comply and offer it.

FYI, this is a business decision on the part of the cable companies. ESPN is charging a hefty per-subscriber fee to them if they want to carry the network. It will not be a subscription-only premium channel like HBO or Showtime, it will be part of a sports tier. The per-sub fee is for all their subs, not just those who get the sports package, so the math has to make sense. There will be back-and-forth negotiations and threats and media campaigns, and in the end most will end up offering it. (There was recently a high profile battle between CBS/Viacom and one of the major providers [DISH, I think] that resulted in them dropping CBS owned programming for a short period. Most battles don't go that far.) I wouldn't expect too many more companies to publicly sign on before August, but most will eventually since the demand seems to be there. If you want the SEC Network, and are willing to pay higher rates to get it, by all means let your cable company know. That will help their bean counters justify the premium ESPN is demanding.

FYI, this is a business decision on the part of the cable companies. ESPN is charging a hefty per-subscriber fee to them if they want to carry the network. It will not be a subscription-only premium channel like HBO or Showtime, it will be part of a sports tier. The per-sub fee is for all their subs, not just those who get the sports package, so the math has to make sense. There will be back-and-forth negotiations and threats and media campaigns, and in the end most will end up offering it. (There was recently a high profile battle between CBS/Viacom and one of the major providers [DISH, I think] that resulted in them dropping CBS owned programming for a short period. Most battles don't go that far.) I wouldn't expect too many more companies to publicly sign on before August, but most will eventually since the demand seems to be there. If you want the SEC Network, and are willing to pay higher rates to get it, by all means let your cable company know. That will help their bean counters justify the premium ESPN is demanding.

Bingo. ESPN does not even hide their angle. They constantly are telling fans to call their cable provider. They are asking cable companies to pay in the neighborhood of what cable companies pay for Fox News for a single conference's network. I believe Fox News is the 2nd most expensive channel cable providers pay for. I bet you all can guess who's #1. I just saw today a column by Clay Travis that they could be considering putting the UGA/Clemson game on the SEC Network which would send the Southeast into a furry for Direct TV, Comcast, etc. to sign on. In the end the cable providers will give in but pass most the cost to the consumer when monthly cables bills go up again.

Archived