Premier League Football (Soccer)

AUbritt

So, I see this topic has been broached before here. Doesn't seem to have been a great success. But I thought I'd approach it from a slightly different angle.

Which Premier League club -- especially in terms of fans, perhaps -- most resembles Auburn?

I'm going with Liverpool FC as a first guess.

Liverpool supporters have an incredible loyalty toward the team; they also use 'You'll Never Walk Alone' (YNWA) almost exactly the way we use 'War Eagle', as far as I can tell. They're a historically extremely successful club and having a great year with an innovative new coach this season.

I think Man U is sort of Bama-like. That might speak in favor of Man City as more Auburn-like, but I sort of see City fans as too fatalistic (more like Ole Miss, perhaps). Have seen Liverpool fans refer to Man U supporters as 'turds'.

Thoughts?

Chelsea :-\

Too hoity toity for Auburn, I think:

For those of you unaware of the history and tradition of Chelsea FC, it is a club that comes with an air of sophistication. Located just off the trendy King’s Road, it earned a reputation in the '60s and '70s for being the glamour club of England, and its fans have been eager to maintain that appeal in the modern day.

http://www.foodrepub...nd-drink-better

My own personal love affair with ‘dressing up’ for football began around this time with my first Pringle sweater, a blue and white diamond affair stolen to order by a light fingered friend, that I regularly wore over a white Lyle & Scott roll-neck. Fiorucci jeans or a nice pair of Lois cords, short enough in the leg to expose Persil-white socks, complemented the look, and my feet were regularly encased in a pair of snide almost-but-not-quite Gucci loafers … concessions had to be made in those days as the meagre contents of my wage packet dramatically failed to cope with this fabulous new wallet-bursting affectation. Impoverished I may have been, but I stopped short of popping down to Portobello market and buying a roll of iron-on Lacoste crocodiles and a box of two-bob three-button shirts to iron them on to like certain enterprising larrikins I knew at that time. - See more at: http://www.cfcnet.co...h.EX7MyyL0.dpuf

http://www.cfcnet.co...at-not-to-wear/

Plus, 'The Special One' is too impish, and Chelsea's got no huge rival.

Liverpool's stadium is Anfield, which is known as a great home venue.

only thing that can compare to anfield... and I know you'll hate me for it... an American -College- Football game in the SEC.

85000 people (at a minimum). They don't even bother singing, really. Basically, whenever the away team has possession of the ball, the home crowd of 85000+ will just scream at the top of their lungs. No syllables or melody or anything, just a constant AHHHHHHHHHHHHHH from literally everyone in the stadium. Last game I went to was University of Florida v Auburn University and I literally had trouble hearing people talk for three or four days.

and it is for this reason that football and collegiate american football are the only two sports I could ever bring myself to care about

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=240162.msg5563787#msg5563787

So, I see this topic has been broached before here. Doesn't seem to have been a great success. But I thought I'd approach it from a slightly different angle.

Which Premier League club -- especially in terms of fans, perhaps -- most resembles Auburn?

Liverpool supporters have an incredible loyalty toward the team; they also use 'You'll Never Walk Alone' (YNWA) almost exactly the way we use 'War Eagle', as far as I can tell. They're a historically extremely successful club and having a great year with an innovative new coach this season.

I think Man U is sort of Bama-like. That might speak in favor of Man City as more Auburn-like, but I sort of see City fans as too fatalistic (more like Ole Miss, perhaps). Have seen Liverpool fans refer to Man U supporters as 'turds'.

Thoughts?

I would not want to be compared to any of them. English football fans have a bad reputation for violence from the 70s and 80s. They would even tear up the fan trains taking them to matches. In 1985 the European teams banned all the English teams until 1990 because of the English Disease. Liverpool was banned longer due to their part in the Heysel disaster. The UK government had to crackdown on the fan violence to make sure it stopped or lose the sport as a business. Hopefully they are better now. The Eastern European are so bad now they may make the English fans look better.

Thoughts?

I would not want to be compared to any of them. English football fans have a bad reputation for violence from the 70s and 80s. They would even tear up the fan trains taking them to matches. In 1985 the European teams banned all the English teams until 1990 because of the English Disease. Liverpool was banned longer due to their part in the Heysel disaster. The UK government had to crackdown on the fan violence to make sure it stopped or lose the sport as a business. Hopefully they are better now. The Eastern European are so bad now they may make the English fans look better.

Well ... I guess I feel like that level of analysis would yield the result that Auburn fans are constantly envious of Alabama and need to buy players to compete with them. I don't mean that as a slap at you, cptau. What I mean is, that it's too easy for me to dismiss a whole group like that (all English soccer fans as having a football disease, for instance). If there's a fanbase who ought to be able to identify with the kind of reputation you can get from bad media coverage, it's us Auburn fans.

People from Liverpool seem to suffer from a bad reputation in general (not just the football fans). Kinda reminds me of the general reputation of folks from Alabama. I myself don't put a lot of stock in such negative stereotypes.

Thought this thread on a Liverpool site was interesting (keeping in mind that most of them probably know about as much about CFB as the typical CFB fan knows about the BPL -- plus the fact that there is a bammer posting there named jason42). Started with our win over UGA, then through the IB and the natty game.

Chelsea :-\

Too hoity toity for Auburn, I think:

For those of you unaware of the history and tradition of Chelsea FC, it is a club that comes with an air of sophistication. Located just off the trendy King’s Road, it earned a reputation in the '60s and '70s for being the glamour club of England, and its fans have been eager to maintain that appeal in the modern day.

http://www.foodrepub...nd-drink-better

:drippingsarcasm7pa: :drippingsarcasm7pa: :drippingsarcasm7pa: :drippingsarcasm7pa: :drippingsarcasm7pa: :drippingsarcasm7pa:

My own personal love affair with ‘dressing up’ for football began around this time with my first Pringle sweater, a blue and white diamond affair stolen to order by a light fingered friend, that I regularly wore over a white Lyle & Scott roll-neck. Fiorucci jeans or a nice pair of Lois cords, short enough in the leg to expose Persil-white socks, complemented the look, and my feet were regularly encased in a pair of snide almost-but-not-quite Gucci loafers … concessions had to be made in those days as the meagre contents of my wage packet dramatically failed to cope with this fabulous new wallet-bursting affectation. Impoverished I may have been, but I stopped short of popping down to Portobello market and buying a roll of iron-on Lacoste crocodiles and a box of two-bob three-button shirts to iron them on to like certain enterprising larrikins I knew at that time. - See more at: http://www.cfcnet.co...h.EX7MyyL0.dpuf

http://www.cfcnet.co...at-not-to-wear/

Plus, 'The Special One' is too impish, and Chelsea's got no huge rival.

I'm a huge Liverpool fan. Can't wait till 9am when I get to see them trounce Chelsea!!

#JFT_96!!! YNWA!!

I'm a huge Liverpool fan. Can't wait till 9am when I get to see them trounce Chelsea!!

#JFT_96!!! YNWA!!

:no:

Now I have to hope Everton beats Man City.

#JFT_96!!! YNWA!!

Chelsea winnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn

I give it to you. Chelsea played Liverpool perfectly today. I've never seen a better football defense than what Chelsea played today. The middle was completely stuffed. I just hope Evereton can down Manchester City. :dunno:

Good on you if you are a Chelsea fan that follows all their games!

Thoughts?

Well ... I guess I feel like that level of analysis would yield the result that Auburn fans are constantly envious of Alabama and need to buy players to compete with them. I don't mean that as a slap at you, cptau. What I mean is, that it's too easy for me to dismiss a whole group like that (all English soccer fans as having a football disease, for instance). If there's a fanbase who ought to be able to identify with the kind of reputation you can get from bad media coverage, it's us Auburn fans.

People from Liverpool seem to suffer from a bad reputation in general (not just the football fans). Kinda reminds me of the general reputation of folks from Alabama. I myself don't put a lot of stock in such negative stereotypes.

Yes ive heard people in the south of england state they dont like the nothern cities like liverpool and newcastle. ive been to both and they seem run down due to the loss of industry, hopefully that has improved.

I really dont want to be comparing college fans to pro fans of any sport or country. england had a problem, and the us seems to have one in certain NFL and MLB cities. The presence of alcohol explains a lot of it and I hope colleges do not cave to selling alcohol in the stands just to make a little more money.

I picked a BPL team this season to root for and it was between Everton and Chelsea. Ultimately landed on Everton and really enjoyed watching them this season. Having an American was a huge plus and Howard was outstanding this season. Everton had a shot at the top 4 but laid eggs against a couple of lower tier teams but they are still going on a European tour this summer.

I have to dislike Liverpool as a Blue so the 3-0 lead evaporating today was funny. Crystal Palace was amazing for the last 15 minutes.

Interesting discussion, have thought about this myself, although was thinking we were more like Barcelona and Bama (Real Madrid)

Barcelona has taken a style of soccer that many play, but they just do it a lot better, with athletes that fit the system. Fast, nimble, team work, constant attack...

As far as EPL, I liked Arsenal, although recently they have gone no where.

• 2 weeks later...

#JFT_96!!! YNWA!!

Chelsea winnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn

I give it to you. Chelsea played Liverpool perfectly today. I've never seen a better football defense than what Chelsea played today. The middle was completely stuffed. I just hope Evereton can down Manchester City. :dunno:

Good on you if you are a Chelsea fan that follows all their games!

Agreed -- good for you, golf. That was a masterful display by Chelsea ... and the irony of Gerrard's slip after the rhetoric of 'this does not slip' is heart-wrenching stuff. But, as Auburn fans, I know we all know that an innovative coach who can make his players believe will be able to use the loss of the championship at the very end to motivate his players for next season.

Just sayin' -- YNWA, Inferno!

Interesting discussion, have thought about this myself, although was thinking we were more like Barcelona and Bama (Real Madrid)

Barcelona has taken a style of soccer that many play, but they just do it a lot better, with athletes that fit the system. Fast, nimble, team work, constant attack...

As far as EPL, I liked Arsenal, although recently they have gone no where.

I tend to follow EPL more than La Liga. I lived in both England and Scotland as a kid, so that may be why. Having lived up north may also explain a certain affinity with the Scousers' attitude toward the southern bias in England.

Archived